By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Skyward Sword HD - Is the Nintendo immunity finally coming to an end?

CaptainExplosion said:
Kakadu18 said:

When have critics been pressured to treat Nintendo games differently and how?

I don't know, ask the OP.

OP seems to have a huge chip on his shoulder regarding Nintendo, or gets his jollies trolling Nintendo. Last time he was on here before now was to laugh at Nintendo over Wii U sales seven or eight years ago. He never posts otherwise.

And at that time Nintendo definitely wasn’t getting a free pass on anything.

Around the Network
Machina said:

I think there's a little something in the first half of your post and it tends to apply to most acclaimed video game franchises. There's a cycle of initial over-hype, then over-praise, followed eventually and often gradually by... not hate (unless we're talking about GTA IV), but a kind of lukewarm attitude towards the previous release. That final phase tends to happen a few years after release, when there's room for people to acknowledge (without getting their heads bit off) that, actually, the last one wasn't the best thing since sliced bread after all and there are notable areas for improvement, which they then hope will be dealt with in the next release. Critics who pointed these out at the time deserve credit, while those who were willing to overlook them in their enthusiasm should look back on their reviews with something approaching shame.

The exceptions to this rule seem to define the actual greats. Everything else was overhyped, over-scored, and then quietly semi-shunned. As a disinterested observer who only played one Zelda game and gave up out of boredom within 10 hours, over the last 15 years I've gotten the sense that the overhyped and over-scored were Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, while Breath of the Wild is proving an exception and so earns its place as one of the all-time greats of video gaming alongside Ocarina of Time.

Except for TP and BOTW, do whatever needs to be done with the post Ocarina of Time games, burn them to the ground, rape their sons and daughters and most importantly to ensure we don't get any remasters or remakes don't forget to salt the soil when your finished,but a word of warning don't you dare  touch my Twilight Princess and BOTW you hear.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 11 August 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Scores means nothing, it could have gotten a 0 and wouldn't make any difference to me, as long as I'm able to buy and play this masterpiece. Just like mario 3d stars, it contains 3 of the best games in the history of gaming, the best game from the 90's, the best game of the 2000s and one of top 5 best games of the 00s.

They could have just released mario galaxy on it and I'd still rate it a must have for the switch, the improvements are astonishing, jaggies are all gone, resolution is sharp, colors pop etc

Same with skyward sword.

victor83fernandes said:

Scores means nothing, it could have gotten a 0 and wouldn't make any difference to me, as long as I'm able to buy and play this masterpiece. Just like mario 3d stars, it contains 3 of the best games in the history of gaming, the best game from the 90's, the best game of the 2000s and one of top 5 best games of the 00s.

They could have just released mario galaxy on it and I'd still rate it a must have for the switch, the improvements are astonishing, jaggies are all gone, resolution is sharp, colors pop etc

Same with skyward sword.

If a game gets a zero on average I don't think you'd even be able to play the game :P

Lube Me Up

LMU Uncle Alfred said:
victor83fernandes said:

Same with skyward sword.

If a game gets a zero on average I don't think you'd even be able to play the game :P

You didn't get my point. If a game is good, then its good no matter what kind of scores it gets.

Around the Network

Or maybe the game is from 2011 and standards have changed in 10 years? This happens almost all the time with older games. Games people thought were great or even masterpieces will look back and not think that anymore. Of course there are games that still hold up well and games that didn't get great reception overtime received more praise.
I guess since you started this topic with Zelda we will use that franchise as an example for all three scenarios.

Zelda A Link to the Past: Was seen as a masterpiece back when it came out. To this day it's still seen as a masterpiece.
Zelda Ocarina of Time: Was seen as a masterpiece back then. Now people look back at it as a great game, but not as a masterpiece.
Zelda Windwaker: Was seen as a good game and hated by some. Now it's seen as a masterpiece.

People don't seem to grasp this. A majority of games will not hold up overtime.

Nintendo is a different beast. They have a dedicated audience that loves these games no matter what. They could almost live without any other games. So they rate these core games very highly, and people who are not into Nintendo games will not buy a Nintendo system to begin with, so there will be almost no bad ratings at all, except for third party games.
What about professional critics, then? I don't think they're pressured into anything per se, unless they want to avoid the wrath of notoriously passionate Nintendo fans. Also, Nintendo has a certain hip factor, so it's cool to at least pretend to like their games.
Sony and Microsoft games are mercilessly dragged through the mud, especially nowadays with all the political agendas flailing about. Scores will take a hit for those reasons alone, whereas it's more challenging to attach political gripes to Mario, Zelda or Animal Crossing or whatnot.

Do people actually still believe the Zelda cycle? I know Aonuma and Iwata spoke on it a few years ago, but I just can't help but think there's glaring contradictions in it. Honestly seems like a somewhat silly summary of a series having peaks and valleys.

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 12 August 2021

If anything, it seems like Nintendo is generally dismissed by professional critics. They tend to emphasize the latest games from Sony, MS, EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Bethesda, or CD Projekt.. There are some periods, notably the Gamecube and Wii U eras, it's seemed to be that people have been much harsher on Nintendo than on its competitors.

Sogreblute said:

Or maybe the game is from 2011 and standards have changed in 10 years? This happens almost all the time with older games. Games people thought were great or even masterpieces will look back and not think that anymore. Of course there are games that still hold up well and games that didn't get great reception overtime received more praise.
I guess since you started this topic with Zelda we will use that franchise as an example for all three scenarios.

Zelda A Link to the Past: Was seen as a masterpiece back when it came out. To this day it's still seen as a masterpiece.
Zelda Ocarina of Time: Was seen as a masterpiece back then. Now people look back at it as a great game, but not as a masterpiece.
Zelda Windwaker: Was seen as a good game and hated by some. Now it's seen as a masterpiece.

People don't seem to grasp this. A majority of games will not hold up overtime.

Pretty much everywhere I read and watch, many still consider OOT a masterpiece. I’m not upset at that statement, more confused? In my opinion (just an opinion, I emphasise and understand) is it is and always will be a masterpiece. And I reiterate, I haven’t seen much that states the contrary. Just curious. Also, haven’t ever seen Windwaker hailed as a masterpiece, although personally I adore that game and think it’s incredible. Edit - not sure why my text is in the quote box? It doesn’t usually appear like this. Oh, well!