By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Skyward Sword HD - Is the Nintendo immunity finally coming to an end?

Threads like these are always an interesting mix of insufferable and entertaining

Around the Network

People have hated SS since it originally came out. I'm in the minority that thinks it is fantastic. To date, it is the highest rating I've ever given a Zelda game. Its story is amazing, the setup to the whole trinity and origin of Demise is fantastic. You could actually feel the romance between Zelda and Link in this game, whereas it is at best implied in pretty much the rest of the games. It included flying for the first time, and each region, because they were separated, felt far more distinct than I was used to in previous Zelda games. The art style is impressionist, which is increasingly one of my favorite styles of painting (I actually think Wii version looked better in proportion to the time than HD does to now). Skyward Sword is honestly what got me interested in Zelda in a massive way.

I’m surprised there’s not more games like ocarina of time.

You know, I can't believe I'm commenting on a bait post but...

1) Just to start, this is a remaster. It isn't a new entry. The original entry has a 93 metascore which is actually considered relatively low for a mainline Zelda title. To add, I don't think there is any remaster that has gotten a higher score than it's source material. At least, nothing that comes to memory. Maybe remake, but certainly not remaster. Heck, Twilight Princess on the Wii has a 95 meta, yet the HD remaster only has an 86, yet BotW still received a 97 metascore. So, that right there refutes your prediction as if it's some kind of pattern.

2) Suggesting that Nintendo games are popular because they are Nintendo games negates the fact that there are a lot of great games that Nintendo has made that didn't sell nearly as well as Splatoon. Pikmin, F-Zero, Star Fox, Golden Sun, Mother, Metroid, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, etc. A bunch of these IP's are very loved and appreciated, yet no single entry outsold Splatoon 1, which was sold on a console that only sold a little over 13M. What happened is that Nintendo created a unique game that ended up being very intriguing to Japanese people specifically while also appealing the multiplayer shooter centric western audience. It's unique enough to where you have to buy Splatoon to get the Splatoon experience, but familiar enough to where those interested in multiplayer shooters still don't feel left in the dust. It was simply Nintendo being Nintendo.

3) Nintendo doesn't get any immunity. Nintendo just puts so much quality control into their mainline series because they know that's what people expect. They know their audience wants to be blown away, so that's what they do.

Kneetos said:

I never understood the whole "nintendo gets a free pass" or "nintendo gets treated differently" to other companies

Like, why can't people who like the games rate them high, why is it that just because some people don't like nintendo games that means everyone else "needs" to find them mediocre too?

Also wow, comparing splatoon to just a dlc game

lol be real. 

If EA pulled off a HD rehash like what Nintendo is doing with Skyward Sword? The internet would be all over it trolling. (or any company for that matter. Let's say Sony releases God of War 3 on PS5, brand it as HD and sold it as 60 bucks? 

So does Nintendo get a free pass? Yes. 

Around the Network

I'm certainly not gonna listen to someone saying something so appalling about Splatoon. I could genuinely make an entire essay on why Splatoon 2 is one of the greatest games ever made, and would be able to regardless of whether it was developed by Nintendo lmao.

But there's never been a point in time where critics felt "pressured" into giving Nintendo games high scores. If anything, their low reputation during the entire stretch from N64 through Wii U likely resulted in the exact opposite effect. (Which you can see in games like Tropical Freeze which scored super low when it originally released, but is now widely considered to be an incredible game after its rerelease despite being a straight port with literally no new content) The only reason scores for a remaster like this are gonna be lower is because it's been ten years and it's not a new experience anymore. ?‍♂️

Drakrami said:
Kneetos said:

I never understood the whole "nintendo gets a free pass" or "nintendo gets treated differently" to other companies

Like, why can't people who like the games rate them high, why is it that just because some people don't like nintendo games that means everyone else "needs" to find them mediocre too?

lol be real. 

If EA pulled off a HD rehash like what Nintendo is doing with Skyward Sword? The internet would be all over it trolling. (or any company for that matter. Let's say Sony releases God of War 3 on PS5, brand it as HD and sold it as 60 bucks? 

All I see is constant bashing Nintendo over the price of Skyward Sword HD, clearly you haven't been on the internet lol. If EA did something like that it would be far less hostile than most of their methods so would certainly get much more of a free pass than it does now.

The only reason this isn't affecting review scores in Skyward Sword's case as much is because the game is still good. Critics for the most part aren't gonna care what the price of the game is, that's not what they're reviewing. It's debatable whether or not the game is worth full price as a remaster, but that doesn't change the quality of the product so I don't see your point here.

Drakrami said:
Kneetos said:

lol be real. 

Sony actually did even worse, they re-released The Last of Us on the PS4 only ONE year after the PS3 version, called it a remaster, of course sold it for full price and the fans praised and applauded them.

GoOnKid said:
Drakrami said:

lol be real. 

Sony actually did even worse, they re-released The Last of Us on the PS4 only ONE year after the PS3 version, called it a remaster, of course sold it for full price and the fans praised and applauded them.

Hm I don't know I feel that is kind of a stretch to say to be honest. The Last of Us Remastered got the same 60fps update that Skyward Sword did, plus all the dlc content that was available for the PS3 version at that time. And honestly? A much bigger visual remaster was seen in this case - The Last of Us looks like it's beating a dead horse at times on the PS3, whereas it's still a pretty looking game on the PS4 to this day. 

If anything, doesn't the fact that they released it so close to the release of the PS3 version, with the same retail price at launch that the PS3 version had at launch, count as a positive for Sony? As long as it's not a half-assed remaster, which it certainly wasn't. I mean, the way pretty much all publishers except Nintendo work is that their games devalue greatly over time. So the fact that they released it when The Last of Us on PS3 was still worth something new is probably more fair than anything, especially because it's still a great remaster. That's much better than Nintendo's policy of re-releasing games that launched at $50 for $60 with minimal improvements. I mean, DKCTF didn't even get the luxury of having the updates of SSHD. 

GoOnKid said:
Drakrami said:

lol be real. 

Basically Im talking to a bunch of people who doesnt even do research and has no idea what they are talking about. 

This is side by side of LastofUS comparison, the one you are complaining about. 

youtube.com/watch?v=Ho8SCBT8rt0

This is Skyward Sword HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8wbQMKIQzA

LastofUs remaster upgraded to 1080p, 60frames per second, upgraded texture, added photo mode, included the expansion Left Behind, and the 3-4 paid DLCs. 

It was also meant to showcase the power of the newly released PS4 and an eye candy for many people. Oh, and it added HDR - have you seen what HDR looks like? Nintendo may add it in may be another 10 years. 

Skyward Sword, let's see you list what changes? It made the lines less fuzzy? The old version had fuzzy lines.