By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Skyward Sword HD - Is the Nintendo immunity finally coming to an end?

Azzanation said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Makes much more sense to price an 1 year old game for 60 USD than a 10 years old game 

And please, the work done in TLOU remaster is far far bigger than in Skyward Sword. This comparison is stupid  

I dont agree here. Skyward Swords has added controller support, received high resolution and doubled its fps no different to TLOU remastered. I considered Skyward Swords overpriced and same for TLOU RM. Age devalues the product but also being 2 generations apart makes it more sort after where as TLOU RM should have been a free upgrade for PS4 owners who already brought the game the year before however the lack of BC pushed the narrative of reselling recent games again.

Sure TLOU on PS3 is worth its full price tag however those who already own the game have to pay full price again for higher res and double the FPS. Thats alot of money for basically what PC gaming and currently Xbox offers for free.

Remember the hardware had no BC, it means if they come to giveaway PS4 copies for free they would alienate people who bought physical copies of the game. The smart delivery strategy was never an option for PS4, just as it's not an option from Wii U to Switch, of for 3DS to Switch for that matter 

Yes age devalues products, but TLOU was only 1 years old when released on PS4, it was surely still worthing full price for PS4. Sure paying for games again and again is something I'm against of, but that's the case of both Nintendo and Sony when their systems have no BC, after all consoles are closed platforms

If you want a fairer comparison it would be Sony releasing TLOU original for 70 USD on PS5 next year. Yes, charging a 10 years old game for more than what was originally priced, without their DLC I might add, and with a straight-port not making any graphical bumps to justify the 10 years old and 2 generations gap

Instead rumors are saying Sony wants to release a remake. I'm totally against it nonetheless because original TLOU on PS4 still pretty much playable and BC make a PS4 copy running at PS5, but I can totally understand them selling a TLOU remake (if it ever comes out) as 70 USD, after all it's a new game build from the ground as far as coding and modeling goes 

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
Azzanation said:

I dont agree here. Skyward Swords has added controller support, received high resolution and doubled its fps no different to TLOU remastered. I considered Skyward Swords overpriced and same for TLOU RM. Age devalues the product but also being 2 generations apart makes it more sort after where as TLOU RM should have been a free upgrade for PS4 owners who already brought the game the year before however the lack of BC pushed the narrative of reselling recent games again.

Sure TLOU on PS3 is worth its full price tag however those who already own the game have to pay full price again for higher res and double the FPS. Thats alot of money for basically what PC gaming and currently Xbox offers for free.

Remember the hardware had no BC, it means if they come to giveaway PS4 copies for free they would alienate people who bought physical copies of the game. The smart delivery strategy was never an option for PS4, just as it's not an option from Wii U to Switch, of for 3DS to Switch for that matter 

Yes age devalues products, but TLOU was only 1 years old when released on PS4, it was surely still worthing full price for PS4. Sure paying for games again and again is something I'm against of, but that's the case of both Nintendo and Sony when their systems have no BC, after all consoles are closed platforms

If you want a fairer comparison it would be Sony releasing TLOU original for 70 USD on PS5 next year. Yes, charging a 10 years old game for more than what was originally priced, without their DLC I might add, and with a straight-port not making any graphical bumps to justify the 10 years old and 2 generations gap

Instead rumors are saying Sony wants to release a remake. I'm totally against it nonetheless because original TLOU on PS4 still pretty much playable and BC make a PS4 copy running at PS5, but I can totally understand them selling a TLOU remake (if it ever comes out) as 70 USD, after all it's a new game build from the ground as far as coding and modeling goes 

Nintendo do these practices alot which also annoys me. However games like Skyward Sword is a game that is 10+ years old and new gamers who enter the industry cannot experience it hence releasing it as a remaster makes more sense than remastering a game that's 1 year old that you can still purchase on its original hardware.

My issue is Skyward Swords is an expensive game which could have been sold for $40 to $50 instead of $60+ and TLOU RM is 1 year old which should have valid a price reduction regardless of the improvments.

These companies add the improvments to try to justify its price tag. Tomb Raider Definitive Edition they changed her face to say "Hey we put work into it, we expect full price" but its just a work around to get people into buying the latest version and slapping a big price tag on it.

TLOU deserves a remaster or remake however for me, its too soon. Skyward Swords deserves a remaster or remake as its in that window however its too costly. 

Azzanation said:

Nintendo do these practices alot which also annoys me. However games like Skyward Sword is a game that is 10+ years old and new gamers who enter the industry cannot experience it hence releasing it as a remaster makes more sense than remastering a game that's 1 year old that you can still purchase on its original hardware.

My issue is Skyward Swords is an expensive game which could have been sold for $40 to $50 instead of $60+ and TLOU RM is 1 year old which should have valid a price reduction regardless of the improvments.

These companies add the improvments to try to justify its price tag. Tomb Raider Definitive Edition they changed her face to say "Hey we put work into it, we expect full price" but its just a work around to get people into buying the latest version and slapping a big price tag on it.

TLOU deserves a remaster or remake however for me, its too soon. Skyward Swords deserves a remaster or remake as its in that window however its too costly. 

Releasing a remaster is never a problem for me. Not everyone had a PS3, I myself never had one, if there wasn't a remaster I couldn't play it on PS4. The price by the time it was released was fair, and the price decreased over time, as it should

Whether or not SS is worth 60 USD is NOT the point I'm trying to make, for me it's not worth it, and I don't like the game, that's all

The point I'm trying to make is SS situation on Switch is not the same as TLOU on PS4, they are far different.

TLOU on PS4 is like Mario Kart 8 on Switch, nobody is complaining about MK8 Deluxe price regardless if you bought it on Wii U or not, because the price is fair. It comes with some improvements and all DLCs, and is a game that by the time was only 3 years old

Azzanation said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Makes much more sense to price an 1 year old game for 60 USD than a 10 years old game 

And please, the work done in TLOU remaster is far far bigger than in Skyward Sword. This comparison is stupid  

TLOU remaster released at $50 and included all DLC's and had been modified to run on PS4 - https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/242319/Video_How_Naughty_Dog_modified_its_engine_for_The_Last_Of_Us_Remastered.php. Its not a bad price considering its a essentially an enhanced GOTY edition released a year after its initially launch for a new console; at time of release. The reason why BC wasn't a thing last gen is that the PS3 is notoriously hard to emulate and PS4 doesn't have the hardware to do that effectively.

Its totally different from charging $60 for a fast port of a Wii game with better internal resolution with some modified controls. Of a game released in 2011. Its a bit like Square Enix charging PC gamers full $50-60 for the KH games that originally released in 2000's and remasters in 2013. Way too high of a price for an old game, with little done to it.

IcaroRibeiro said:

Releasing a remaster is never a problem for me. Not everyone had a PS3, I myself never had one, if there wasn't a remaster I couldn't play it on PS4. The price by the time it was released was fair, and the price decreased over time, as it should

Whether or not SS is worth 60 USD is NOT the point I'm trying to make, for me it's not worth it, and I don't like the game, that's all

The point I'm trying to make is SS situation on Switch is not the same as TLOU on PS4, they are far different.

TLOU on PS4 is like Mario Kart 8 on Switch, nobody is complaining about MK8 Deluxe price regardless if you bought it on Wii U or not, because the price is fair. It comes with some improvements and all DLCs, and is a game that by the time was only 3 years old

Different between MK8 and TLOU is the plaform popularity, with the WiiU being so unpopular that majority never owned or played it outside the small install base the WiiU had. TLOU was on a very popular platform in comparison and the game sold extremely well. Its like them releasing a game from the Virtual Boy, its a rare platform that people would jump on the titles due to the lack of popularity of the platform. 

I was one of the Switch owners of MK8 because i never owned a WiiU so it was my chance on jumping on it. Same for Skyward Swords, the game is that old that many can now play it if they missed out. TLOU is not one of those games that people couldn't play it or have missed their chance in playing it as its original form is still available, tho diminishing rapidly today but not a year after launch. I also think MK8 is overpriced and should have been sold for less regardless of the extra content etc.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Different between MK8 and TLOU is the plaform popularity, with the WiiU being so unpopular that majority never owned or played it outside the small install base the WiiU had. TLOU was on a very popular platform in comparison and the game sold extremely well. Its like them releasing a game from the Virtual Boy, its a rare platform that people would jump on the titles due to the lack of popularity of the platform. 

I was one of the Switch owners of MK8 because i never owned a WiiU so it was my chance on jumping on it. Same for Skyward Swords, the game is that old that many can now play it if they missed out. TLOU is not one of those games that people couldn't play it or have missed their chance in playing it as its original form is still available, tho diminishing rapidly today but not a year after launch. I also think MK8 is overpriced and should have been sold for less regardless of the extra content etc.

Ok but I never had a PS3. Was I supposed to buy a PS3 only to play TLOU ? There are at least 30 million people who like me don't have a PS3, but have a PS4 (and the numbers are probably bigger, as some people went from PS3 to PC skipping PS4)

I don't get that reasoning. It's not like Sony was obligation anybody to buy TLOU again, if you have the PS3 version is sad you couldn't play it on PS4 but releasing remaster is not the issue here

IcaroRibeiro said:
Azzanation said:

Ok but I never had a PS3. Was I supposed to buy a PS3 only to play TLOU ? There are at least 30 million people who like me don't have a PS3, but have a PS4 (and the numbers are probably bigger, as some people went from PS3 to PC skipping PS4)

I don't get that reasoning. It's not like Sony was obligation anybody to buy TLOU again, if you have the PS3 version is sad you couldn't play it on PS4 but releasing remaster is not the issue here

1 year after release and still charging full price for basic remastering Eg: High Res, increased FPS better AF etc is where the console industry becomes greedy. PS3's were still being sold when the PS4 released and the original game was still available on store shelves and in discount bins etc. I understand the lack of BC is why Sony went the direction of reselling however this is why BC is so important to the gaming industry, it pushes devs to rethink greedy thoughts and strategies of trying to resell older games when current owners can just play there old versions instead. Its not just a consumer friendly approach but a standard it sets. Sony cannot sell TLOU again on the PS5 due to BC so now they are thinking of remaking it to find another avenue of reselling the game again. At least a remake requires more effort and resources than a remaster which majority of games do free on PC which should have been the standard generations ago. 

Azzanation said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

1 year after release and still charging full price for basic remastering Eg: High Res, increased FPS better AF etc is where the console industry becomes greedy. PS3's were still being sold when the PS4 released and the original game was still available on store shelves and in discount bins etc. I understand the lack of BC is why Sony went the direction of reselling however this is why BC is so important to the gaming industry, it pushes devs to rethink greedy thoughts and strategies of trying to resell older games when current owners can just play there old versions instead. Its not just a consumer friendly approach but a standard it sets. Sony cannot sell TLOU again on the PS5 due to BC so now they are thinking of remaking it to find another avenue of reselling the game again. At least a remake requires more effort and resources than a remaster which majority of games do free on PC which should have been the standard generations ago. 

If it's only 1 year after release it's perfectly OK for charging full price. Don't even know what you are arguing here

IcaroRibeiro said:
Azzanation said:

If it's only 1 year after release it's perfectly OK for charging full price. Don't even know what you are arguing here

I dont agree a game should be sold at full price a year later. Nintendo do this the worst. Especally during the price hiking stage.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 08 August 2021

CaptainExplosion said:
DitchPlaya said:

Usually with Zelda games there is a cycle. It comes out and every reviewer tells us it is the greatest thing ever. Then the fans will make sure for a few years that you don't forget that it is the greatest thing ever. However when the next Zelda is announced, we still start hearing that while it is still the best thing ever, it is not a completely flawless greatest thing ever. Then the next games drops and the narrative changes to hate because the new game is the greatest thing ever. Let's take a look

I must say that I am utterly shocked that Skyward Sword got a measly low 80s MC. How could this be? When a single reviewer gave TP a 8.8 and SS a 7.5 at the time of their release, the entire internet knew of the noise that fans were making. I was just reading my monthly Retro Gamer mag and even they remembered Jeff's score. Could it be that critics no longer feel pressured to treat Nintendo games differently? Colin Moriarty even claimed that had Splatoon been a non-Nintendo game, it would been released as a DL game and forgotten within a few months of release.

I am worried because BotW 2 might not get a 90 MC.

Oh no, only in the low 80s? That's SO awful!!

In all seriousness, maybe critics no longer feel pressured to treat Nintendo games differently, and it's more important that a game is judged on it's own merits anyway.

When have critics been pressured to treat Nintendo games differently and how?