By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Blind loyalty is unhealthy!

That's it, that's the thread title.

Side note: delayed posting here did show me how VGChartz impacts my videos.  I'm not specifically going to lay that out because it would make it seem like posting here is bad for me, but I actually like having some of these discussions with y'all

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
Around the Network

Always be critical of a company, no matter how much you like their products.

For instance, I love pretty much all the games from Paradox Interactive, but I absolutely loathe their excessive monetisation scheme of cranking out endless streams of DLC that you pretty much need to make a game really complete and fix errors. As a result I will never buy any game from them at full price, and even tend to wait for them to show up a humble bundle.

Brand loyalty is stupidity that's on period

I agree with that.

In my late teens, I had blind loyalty to SEGA and the only thing I got from that was a lot of fights at the internet. I had my lesson, so today I just admire good games, no matter where them come from.

padib said:

@ZeroXZ2

I think most folks are okay with this principle. The problem happens when people bash a company for doing something that is not wrong.

For example, when Nintendo announced the OLED model, they priced it properly because people will most likely buy it at that price. If they couldn't, Nintendo wouldn't price it so. The reason they can is because it offers value, and people are okay to freely consent to pay for that value.

The point is that some folks take a habit of bashing certain companies even if they did nothing wrong because somehow they have a bias against them. That's not too healthy either. I'm not saying we should accept everything blindly, but sometimes it makes sense to defend a company's decision if we feel like they really don't deserve the flack.

What do you think?

I think they can price their stuff however they want and I decide wether I consider it worth that price. Simple as that.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:

I love Nintendo, but for those who've missed it the past few days, I'm not above criticizing their more bullshit decisions as of late.

This video is not about that.
Its about doing something about it, ei. voteing with your wallet.

Did you skip any games, or go try something on other systems when you were let down?

I rarely do day1.
Waiting for a good offer, instead.

I think like alot of playstation users, arnt afriad to skip a exclusive, or wait for a price drop, if it doesnt "feel" like something must have.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 31 July 2021

padib said:

@ZeroXZ2

I think most folks are okay with this principle. The problem happens when people bash a company for doing something that is not wrong.

For example, when Nintendo announced the OLED model, they priced it properly because people will most likely buy it at that price. If they couldn't, Nintendo wouldn't price it so. The reason they can is because it offers value, and people are okay to freely consent to pay for that value.

The point is that some folks take a habit of bashing certain companies even if they did nothing wrong because somehow they have a bias against them. That's not too healthy either. I'm not saying we should accept everything blindly, but sometimes it makes sense to defend a company's decision if we feel like they really don't deserve the flack.

What do you think?

whatboutism
(what about this other thing, about bashing others, for blind loyality. And blind loyality is fine, because if company X can get away with it, it proves it was okay).

And nothing to do with this thread, if you watched the video.
Even if it states its about "blind loyalty is unhealthy" if you watched the video, you would hear its about doing something about it.
The voteing with your wallet, and going other places or skipping things, if you dont agree with price, or quality.

I always argued that brand loyalty has always been stupid... Microsoft, Nintendo or Sony isn't going to send you cake and flowers for spending hundreds/thousands of dollars on their products, you are just a sales number to appease their shareholders... Thus blind brand loyalty has always been illogical... And yet, this forum is rife with it.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

blind loyalty leads to overpriced products, it is their job to maximize profits and ours to keep our eyes open

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Blind loyalty is right up there with woke loyalty in terms of unhealthy unwavering support.

Gather as much info as you can, direct and indirect, get some different opinions and viewpoints on the matter, take as much time as you can/need, and make a decision. Reflect at some point afterwards to know where you went right and where you went wrong and attempt to adjust next time around.

A good parent doesn't expect or even want absolute devotion, and companies aren't parents for adults.