By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Blind loyalty is unhealthy!

In other news, water keeps you alive.???

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:

-Have yet to have a playable dark-skinned character in Smash Bros.

Yes because let’s start randomly adding characters because of the melatonin levels in their skin instead of because solely on the fact the character is one that makes sense for Smash* and play identity politics all day every day. 

*I had to edit and bold that because I got banned by someone who can't read. In the message Hiku sent me, they claimed I was saying that a black character was not as deserving as a white skinned character. I did not. I said a character (as bolded) is deserving because they make sense for Smash. A character does NOT make sense for Smash based solely on their skin color, which is what my original comment was about. Who the hell made Hiku a mod?  

fuck off. * Had to bold this part too.

User was warned for this comment ~Hiku

Last edited by Paatar - on 10 August 2021

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

CaptainExplosion said:
Hiku said:

First of all, there are plenty of darker skinned characters that would make just as much sense in Smash as the rest of the cast. If not more. Twintelle for example consistently ranks as the most popular character in ARMS, but that wasn't the character Nintendo chose to add.

Also, there's nothing wrong with asking for representation.
It's difficult to relate when 99.9% of games I've played in my life have starred characters that are white like myself.
But if 99.9% of main characters in games were black, I would very likely also ask for some representation once in a while.

But there is something wrong with telling others to fuck off for that.

This is why I'd rather it was Twintelle than Min Min.

At the same time, Min Min was a clearly Asian woman. How many of those are in Smash? None come to my mind right now, so both desperately needed representation.

I do agree that more representation in games would be great, but Smash is a pretty bad franchise for that: It celebrates basically games from many years past, and apart from a handful of characters, most have their IP rooted in the 80's or 90's where anything else than a talking animal or a testosterone-poisoned action hero lookalike was already pretty inclusive. Just remember how huge a surprise the original reveal was that Samus was actually a woman or how big of a deal it was at the time that you could play a badass girl in Tomb Raider instead of the usual Schwarzenegger rip-offs (speaking of which, Lara would make a nice entry in Smash, but probably misses a potentially usable moveset from her own games for a fighting game).

Bofferbrauer2 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

This is why I'd rather it was Twintelle than Min Min.

At the same time, Min Min was a clearly Asian woman. How many of those are in Smash? None come to my mind right now, so both desperately needed representation.

I do agree that more representation in games would be great, but Smash is a pretty bad franchise for that: It celebrates basically games from many years past, and apart from a handful of characters, most have their IP rooted in the 80's or 90's where anything else than a talking animal or a testosterone-poisoned action hero lookalike was already pretty inclusive. Just remember how huge a surprise the original reveal was that Samus was actually a woman or how big of a deal it was at the time that you could play a badass girl in Tomb Raider instead of the usual Schwarzenegger rip-offs (speaking of which, Lara would make a nice entry in Smash, but probably misses a potentially usable moveset from her own games for a fighting game).

Did any Tomb Raider game ever release on a Nintendo console? Since that's a requirement.

CaptainExplosion said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Ryu, Kuntzuya and Joker, so while it's nice having Min Min, it's a huge missed opportunity having Twintelle in her place.

The only other major dark skinned characters for Smash that I can think of are Shantae, but she got shafted in favor of an overpowered shotoclone, Urbosa, but I don't know exactly how likely she is, and TJ Combo, but Killer Instinct is now under Microsoft and I don't know if they're willing to give Nintendo one more Microsoft rep. In his place, however, I can imagine either Doc Louis or Mr. Sandman being in Smash (Sorry, King Hippo).

Kakadu18 said:

Did any Tomb Raider game ever release on a Nintendo console? Since that's a requirement.

There was one on GameBoy Color and one on GameCube, but yeah, it won't be easy coming up with move sets for her. Well, Specials at least.

Well then she's possible, theoretically.

Bold: Reminder that Shantae is from a niche indie franchise whereas Kazuya is iconic, well known and from one of the biggest fighting franchises.

They could ad Franklin from GTA V to Smash. The reactions would be funny.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Kakadu18 said:

Well then she's possible, theoretically.

Bold: Reminder that Shantae is from a niche indie franchise whereas Kazuya is iconic, well known and from one of the biggest fighting franchises.

They could ad Franklin from GTA V to Smash. The reactions would be funny.

Just because Kazuya is iconic doesn't mean he was a good choice. Like we previously discussed, we already have Asian representation in the form of both Ryu, Joker and Min Min, so we should've had Shantae for dark skinned representation.

Being reduced to a Mii costume has become the biggest insult to any character that can potentially get into Smash. Don't any of you remember how pissed most people were at the King K. Rool Mii costume back in Smash 4?

Smash is not about ethnical representation, but about celebrating important and iconic franchises and characters. There just aren't all that many truly iconic dark skinned characters in general.