By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 Moves Up to the 17th Position (*NA)

What is the Highest Position Switch Will Reach?

The Number One Spot 2 15.38%

Second is Good Enough 8 61.54%

Third isn't Too Shabby 3 23.08%

Total:13
jason1637 said:

I voted for July so I guess I wasn't too far off. July is probably when Xbox takes the lead in the US.

My thought exactly. Its at 55k units between them as of the week ending June 18th. Im thinking by the week ending July 2nd.

Around the Network

At the very start of the generation I thought Xbox might pass PlayStation in the Americas in the middle or end of the generation, and it would be a very long and grinding process that relied heavily on major software releases that catered to western markets specifically. I did not expect the chip shortage to last as long as it did.

The chip shortage probably put Xbox several years ahead of schedule in terms of marketshare recovery, and the existence of the Series S at its price point means that marketshare leadership in the Americas for Sony is now permanently out of reach. A pretty stunning reversal compared to 8th gen.

aTokenYeti said:

the existence of the Series S at its price point means that marketshare leadership in the Americas for Sony is now permanently out of reach. A pretty stunning reversal compared to 8th gen.

This is a bit of a stretch at this point. Sony just needs to have a better holiday or Q3 and they will take the lead again. Xbox might be able to hold the lead throughout the generation but it's still too early to count Sony out.

jason1637 said:
aTokenYeti said:

the existence of the Series S at its price point means that marketshare leadership in the Americas for Sony is now permanently out of reach. A pretty stunning reversal compared to 8th gen.

This is a bit of a stretch at this point. Sony just needs to have a better holiday or Q3 and they will take the lead again. Xbox might be able to hold the lead throughout the generation but it's still too early to count Sony out.

I think the main problem facing Sony in the Americas is that the Xbox brand is just strong enough that chip supply relief will necessarily mean increased Series X sales in addition to increased PS5 sales, and such a large supply of Series S consoles that a price cut is possible/probable. 

I don’t know how Sony would compete with a $250 Black Friday Series S deal. If Microsoft wanted to be really cutthroat they could probably get that down to $225 or $200 if they wanted 

aTokenYeti said:
jason1637 said:

I think the main problem facing Sony in the Americas is that the Xbox brand is just strong enough that chip supply relief will necessarily mean increased Series X sales in addition to increased PS5 sales, and such a large supply of Series S consoles that a price cut is possible/probable. 

I don’t know how Sony would compete with a $250 Black Friday Series S deal. If Microsoft wanted to be really cutthroat they could probably get that down to $225 or $200 if they wanted 

Most of last generation MS had better deals and Sony still outsold them some holiday months. Xbox brand is quite strong in the Americas but without enticing first party content their lead could slip away. With Starfield no longer being a big 2022 title for them Sony has a real shot at out performing MS later this year.

Around the Network

GT7 helped, prompted me to expedite getting a Series X to play Forza 7. It came with Halo, also got Sunset Overdrive, Quantum brake and Gears 5 for it now. The benefits of skipping a gen, lots of cheap games! (Sunset Overdrive was only 6 dollars)

I'm glad XBox Series is gaining ground. PD is really taking the piss atm. I hope Forza 8 delivers (the trailer certainly does!)
(Of course PSVR 2.0 could put GT7 in the best spot again, yet the way PD is handling GT7 so far I'm not that optimistic)

jason1637 said:
aTokenYeti said:

Most of last generation MS had better deals and Sony still outsold them some holiday months. Xbox brand is quite strong in the Americas but without enticing first party content their lead could slip away. With Starfield no longer being a big 2022 title for them Sony has a real shot at out performing MS later this year.

I don't think so. Imho, it's impossible for Sony to take N.America back ATM. There are no PS5 available, but there's a shit load of series S on shelves. Many are not going to wait PS5 and go with the cheap series S.

This small console is Xbox secret weapon, a major success in this age of limited chips, since they can be made in greater number than the much bigger PS5.

DroidKnight said:

The Xbox Series consoles have made the pass on the PS5, moving up to the 21st position and bumping the PS5 down to the 22nd spot.

Here is the poll that was closed several months ago.

We had 3 people properly predict the month when the pass would occur.  Congrats to y'all.  

The bulk of the guesses (60%) were in the never will happen crowd.  Yikes, better luck on the next poll.

The bulk of the guesses (60%) are now the cool kids once again and back in the game.

The 3 people who properly predicted the month when the pass would occur did base their predictions on old data, but now have the penalty of having their congrats rescinded.

Due to some new data that came in, changes were made to the numbers and I have have made the necessary adjustments. 

The PS5 now holds a healthy lead that won't be eroded in 2 weeks time. So the poll is now back in play!

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 28 June 2022

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

*numbers still changing, will update when done

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Where she'll stop, nobody knows...

...no this is probably it.