Forums - PC Discussion - The Official Steam Deck Thread

Will you buy one?

Yes, I'm excited to get one. 20 34.48%

No, I don't think so. 22 37.93%

Maybe, I need to see how ... 16 27.59%

Total:58
Captain_Yuri said:

PS Vita Emulation On The Steam Deck!

It ain't much but its a start. If Sony won't port Gravity Rush to PC, hopefully this emulator will!

This looks really interesting!

Around the Network

My second Steam Deck arrived today:

First rule in gaming spending: why buy one if you can get two at twice the price?

Ordered a deck today, might be a few months before I get one. When it arrives I may have questions for folks here. I'm new to emulators and new to steam.

Edit

First question, perhaps a dumb one, when emulating, is everything the same as the old games?  Or is resolution increased?  I'm curious to play the PSP version of Final Fantasy IV.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 08 September 2022

zero129 said:
Chrkeller said:

Ordered a deck today, might be a few months before I get one. When it arrives I may have questions for folks here. I'm new to emulators and new to steam.

Edit

First question, perhaps a dumb one, when emulating, is everything the same as the old games?  Or is resolution increased?  I'm curious to play the PSP version of Final Fantasy IV.  

Pretty much everything is the same. As for the res thats up to you, you can play native res or up the res. But you defo want to up the res on some of them older handheld games and even PS2/GC/Wii etc as it makes a huge difference and makes the games feel like remasters.

Is the resolution based on the rom I install or handled by the emulator settings?

Apologies if these questions are basic, but this is all new to me.

zero129 said:
Chrkeller said:

Is the resolution based on the rom I install or handled by the emulator settings?

Apologies if these questions are basic, but this is all new to me.

It will be in the emulators setting. so once you turn up the res in say the psp emu every psp game you play will be in that higher res. And emus such as Dolphin (GC/Wii), PPSSPP (PSP), PCSX2 (PS2) and retroarc versions of Beetle (PS1), Flycast (Dreamcast) have texture replacement too allowing you to add higher res textures to the games. Now not every game will have higher res textures as its up to users to make them like with mods, but many of them do. 

And its no hassle at all, after all we all started somewhere, before you know it you will be a pro .

Excellent.  Thank you very much for the information.  I can't wait to get my Deck, hopefully it ships next month.  

Around the Network

Not gonna lie. steam deck is the first handheld device that have gotten my attention. Just the fact that you can play bunch of third parties from steam and emulate bunch of old games as well makes it in my eyes the best handheld available. The only thing keeping me from getting one is time and finding the way to make emulation work since I am not PC tech savy. I feel intimidated trying to figure out how to make emulation work.

zero129 said:
Angelv577 said:

Not gonna lie. steam deck is the first handheld device that have gotten my attention. Just the fact that you can play bunch of third parties from steam and emulate bunch of old games as well makes it in my eyes the best handheld available. The only thing keeping me from getting one is time and finding the way to make emulation work since I am not PC tech savy. I feel intimidated trying to figure out how to make emulation work.

I hear its not really that hard on steamdeck to make emulation work. The is some pretty great how to videos on youtube too.

But like you its one of the first handhelds i've been interested in in a long time and i already own a PC too but being able to relax in bed or when im away from home and still be able to play my games is the main selling point for me.

I need to look into those videos to see if my fears goes away. Also being able to tweak settings on games like in PC without going through the hazzle of building one is also a huge plus for me.  And the best part for me is that the games are native instead of streaming.  I think by christmas I am getting one.  plenty of time to decide.

Angelv577 said:
zero129 said:

I hear its not really that hard on steamdeck to make emulation work. The is some pretty great how to videos on youtube too.

But like you its one of the first handhelds i've been interested in in a long time and i already own a PC too but being able to relax in bed or when im away from home and still be able to play my games is the main selling point for me.

I need to look into those videos to see if my fears goes away. Also being able to tweak settings on games like in PC without going through the hazzle of building one is also a huge plus for me.  And the best part for me is that the games are native instead of streaming.  I think by christmas I am getting one.  plenty of time to decide.

We are in the same boat.  I have no experience either.  Based on talking with folks  here and watching a few videos, seems super easy.  If you would like, once I get my Deck, I can feedback the level of difficulty.  I'm giving it a go with zero previous experience.

Chrkeller said:
Angelv577 said:

We are in the same boat.  I have no experience either.  Based on talking with folks  here and watching a few videos, seems super easy.  If you would like, once I get my Deck, I can feedback the level of difficulty.  I'm giving it a go with zero previous experience.

Yes please!.  that would be great!.  I would really appreciated!.

Angelv577 said:
Chrkeller said:

Yes please!.  that would be great!.  I would really appreciated!.

Will do.  I should get my Deck in a month or so, I have the files prepped and ready.  Just wanting on Valve to ship.