By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - The Official Steam Deck Thread

Will you buy one?

Yes, I'm excited to get one. 20 34.48%

No, I don't think so. 22 37.93%

Maybe, I need to see how ... 16 27.59%

Total:58

Already more than 50 PC games with a MetaScore of 90+ are rated "playable+" on Steam Deck:

For comparison the number of games with 90+ MetaScore on other systems:

33 PS4 games, 25 Xbox One games, 24 Switch games, 6 PS5 games, 6 Xbox Series games, 6 N3DS games, 7 NDS games, 2 Vita games, 2 PSP games:

Last edited by Conina - on 08 August 2022

Around the Network

Looks great, but I'll wait on as sale. Until then, my PS5 version will have to do.

Xbox 360 games on Steam Deck. Nice!

^ Nah. As much as I love playing on the Steam Deck and its form factor, it isn't going to replace traditional consoles any time soon. There's so much you can do to advance tech and fit in a small 10-20W envelope. Its not really on par with a PS4. I'd say its closer to the Xbox One in performance due to its limited memory bandwidth (half of the PS4). But it targets a lower resolution so it does fine in 800P.

Its a great little console however and I've used mine more to game that all of my gaming stuff combined (PC and consoles). Nothing like having a device you can just pick up and play and resume any time I want, with my Steam library.

Got my confirmation email! Purchased and pending shipment!!

Around the Network
Conina said:

Update 2022-07-30:

4321 Steam games are now categorized as "verified" or "playable":

29.4% of the 1181 "90+ games" are now verified, 20.0% of the 3811 "85+ games" are verified.

55.5% of the 1181 "90+ games" are now playable+, 40.3% of the 3811 "85+ games" are playable+.

1075 games of my own Steam library are now categorized as "verified" or "playable":

Update 2022-08-27:

4974 Steam games are now categorized as "verified" or "playable":

30.4% of the 1204 "90+ games" are now verified, 24.2% of the 3882 "85+ games" are verified.

60.1% of the 1204 "90+ games" are now playable+, 44.1% of the 3882 "85+ games" are playable+.

1299 games of my own Steam library are now categorized as "verified" or "playable":

Last edited by Conina - on 27 August 2022

Kyuu said:

The SteamDeck is only the beginning of affordable handheld-PC invasion. Handhelds (so called hybrids) will keep gaining popularity over stationary PC/consoles, and handheld-PC's will ensure this transition to go faster.

In 2018, I predicted handhelds to take over mainstream "console/PC gaming" by PS6/7's time, and discussed the possibility of a portabilized PS4/PS5 (in the form of SKU as opposed to being their own individual consoles). SteamDeck is pretty much that.... but for the most part even better, because it's an affordable portabilized "PC", and PC has never been better. The transition may occur sooner than I was expecting it to, but RayTracing, VR, and other resource demanding technologies/peripherals could still mean Desktops/Xbox/Playstation home consoles will remain the primary focus for at least one or two more generations.

In the distant future, several more lines will be blurred and mobile phones (and smart TV's?) will absorb everything.

If there's been one dominant trend when it comes to technology, it's the furthering of portability. The less barriers between consumer and product, the more that will partake and consoles demand you sit in front of the television whereas a handheld can be taken pretty much anywhere... I think handhelds are the future. Virtually everyone already carries a portable phone around with them, landlines have gone pretty much extinct.

Conina said:
gtotheunit91 said:

Idk if it’s ever been asked, but is there any way that the Steam hardware survey could give any idea as to how many sales of the Steam Deck there are?

A Steam Deck and Steam hardware survey question? My batsignals are tingling.

Currently 7.6% of the Linux systems in the survey:

Linux itself is at 1.23% of all Steam systems:

The total number of active Steam accounts is probably between 200 and 300 million accounts.

So if we calculate with 250m, it would seem that a quarter million Steam Decks are used:

250m * 1.23% * 7.6% = 233.700 Steam Decks.

The BIG problem: Steam Decks only get the survey invitation in developer mode. Most Steam Deck users play in normal game mode.

So it could be even over one million Steam Decks so far, we don't know until Valve announces a milestone.

Update (survey data August 2022):

Steam OS is now the most popular Linux version on Steam, the Steam Deck GPU is now the most popular Linux GPU on Steam; both 13.7%.
So the Steam Deck share almost doubleeed last month (from 7.6% to 13.7%). Linux itself grew from 1.23% to 1.27% on Steam last month.

The total number of active Steam accounts is probably between 200 and 300 million accounts.

So if we calculate with 250m, it would seem that almost half a million Steam Decks are used:

250m * 1.27% * 13.7% = 435.000 Steam Decks.

The BIG problem: Steam Decks only get the survey invitation in developer mode. Most Steam Deck users play in normal game mode.

So it could be even over one million Steam Decks so far, we don't know until Valve announces a milestone.

My steamdeck is borked. It says there’s no bootable drive. Worked yesterday. Today it only goes into bios. Setting up an rma with valve

PS Vita Emulation On The Steam Deck!

It ain't much but its a start. If Sony won't port Gravity Rush to PC, hopefully this emulator will!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850