By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - The Official Steam Deck Thread

Will you buy one?

Yes, I'm excited to get one. 20 34.48%

No, I don't think so. 22 37.93%

Maybe, I need to see how ... 16 27.59%

Total:58
hinch said:

RMA'd my original Steam Deck, which had mounting/case issue causing the let trigger to annoyingly rub against the casing and got my replacement just recently. Seems like I got the better fan though the casing is definitely poorer quality with some machining marks visible on both sides of the controller and of course, the left rumble on the track pad is slightly iffy with it being considerable weaker than the right. And the slight light bleed at the top left, which my original didn't hae. But, I'm thinking of dealing with it because apart from that its perfectly functional.

But yeah not impressed with the QC of the SD. At least coming in my experience from two different units. Their after sales service was decent though at under 2 weeks turnover.. and thats with it being shipped abroad to the Netherlands and back.

Also be mindful for people ordering the higher tiers in the future. They are swapping SSD's to gen 3x2 from 3x4. So add SSD's to the lottery with them offering downgraded SSD's to meet demand. While they say it won't make much of a difference, not a fan of bait and switch of specs of hardware. Not cool, Valve.

Changes below, from Tomshardware -
"256 GB NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4 or PCIe Gen 3 x2*)
512 GB high-speed NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4 or PCIe Gen 3 x2*)

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ssd-bandwidth-cut-in-half-on-some-steam-decks

That's some serious bull crap right there!

Around the Network
axumblade said:

My steam deck has finally arrived! Man, it’s a beast but also somehow already super comfortable. So far I’ve played Rogue Legacy 2 and Portal 2. Still playing around with configurations though so not going too in-depth with anything.

Nice, congrats. Portal was one of the first games I installed as well lol. The combination of analogue plus capacitive gyro and built in screen is seriously good.. and makes FPS games way more palatable on a gamepad; being able to micro adjust aim on the fly. Its like a smaller VR experience but without the major downsides.

For a suggestion lock refresh rate to 40hz and 40FPS in Steam settings, and see how you like it. It extends the battery life a lot from uncapped/60 and doesn't look too bad on a small screen.

axumblade said:

My steam deck has finally arrived! Man, it’s a beast but also somehow already super comfortable. So far I’ve played Rogue Legacy 2 and Portal 2. Still playing around with configurations though so not going too in-depth with anything.

That's awesome, man! Congrats. Keep us posted of your experiences here.

Conina said:

Over 3333 Steam games are now categorized as "verified" or "playable":

49% of the 1166 "90+ games" are now playable+, 34.2% of the 3734 "85+ games" are playable+

Update:

3846 Steam games are now categorized as "verified" or "playable":

26.6% of the 1168 "90+ games" are now verified, 17.9% of the 3791 "85+ games" are verified.

53% of the 1168 "90+ games" are now playable+, 37.8% of the 3791 "85+ games" are playable+.

Almost 1000 games of my own Steam library are now categorized as "verified" or "playable":

Last edited by Conina - on 09 July 2022

Update:

4321 Steam games are now categorized as "verified" or "playable":

29.4% of the 1181 "90+ games" are now verified, 20.0% of the 3811 "85+ games" are verified.

55.5% of the 1181 "90+ games" are now playable+, 40.3% of the 3811 "85+ games" are playable+.

1075 games of my own Steam library are now categorized as "verified" or "playable":

Around the Network

Ah never mind. May have been a bug lol. Would've been a great feature.

Valve issues some updates and improvements on newer Decks - https://247gamingspot.com/hardware/steam-deck-user-highlights-valves-subtle-hardware-tweaks

Bit annoying as early adopters gets the shaft. Might RMA mine again after my vacation because the left haptic is a bit borked.

Last edited by hinch - on 03 August 2022

Idk if it’s ever been asked, but is there any way that the Steam hardware survey could give any idea as to how many sales of the Steam Deck there are?

gtotheunit91 said:

Idk if it’s ever been asked, but is there any way that the Steam hardware survey could give any idea as to how many sales of the Steam Deck there are?

A Steam Deck and Steam hardware survey question? My batsignals are tingling.

Currently 7.6% of the Linux systems in the survey:

Linux itself is at 1.23% of all Steam systems:

The total number of active Steam accounts is probably between 200 and 300 million accounts.

So if we calculate with 250m, it would seem that a quarter million Steam Decks are used:

250m * 1.23% * 7.6% = 233.700 Steam Decks.

The BIG problem: Steam Decks only get the survey invitation in developer mode. Most Steam Deck users play in normal game mode.

So it could be even over one million Steam Decks so far, we don't know until Valve announces a milestone.

Last edited by Conina - on 04 August 2022

Steam Deck finally "launched" in Japan (And a few other countries)

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Conina said:
gtotheunit91 said:

A Steam Deck and Steam hardware survey question? My batsignals are tingling.

Currently 7.6% of the Linux systems in the survey:

Linux itself is at 1.23% of all Steam systems:

The total number of active Steam accounts is probably between 200 and 300 million accounts.

So if we calculate with 250m, it would seem that a quarter million Steam Decks are used:

250m * 1.23% * 7.6% = 233.700 Steam Decks.

The BIG problem: Steam Decks only get the survey invitation in developer mode. Most Steam Deck users play in normal game mode.

So it could be even over one million Steam Decks so far, we don't know until Valve announces a milestone.

Still an exciting proposition in figuring out what numbers might look like! Thanks for looking into it!