Forums - PC Discussion - The Official Steam Deck Thread

Will you buy one?

Yes, I'm excited to get one. 20 34.48%

No, I don't think so. 22 37.93%

Maybe, I need to see how ... 16 27.59%

Total:58
hinch said:

Nearly a year wait.. and its here!

Noice! Congrats! If you can do me a favor, can you at some point try out PPSSPP and play Crisis core's first level and let me know if the audio issues have been fixed?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
hinch said:

Nearly a year wait.. and its here!

Noice! Congrats! If you can do me a favor, can you at some point try out PPSSPP and play Crisis core's first level and let me know if the audio issues have been fixed?

Thanks! Steam Deck and 'E3' starting the same day. Feels like Christmas lol.

Will do, just waiting on my pry tool.. to open up and replace the internal SSD with a bigger one. And will start the proper set up with all my games/apps.

Last edited by hinch - on 02 June 2022

First impressions after a few hours..

Its pretty darn awesome. Buttons/analogue feel great as are the ergonomics.. and despite its size, it doesn't feel heavy to hold at all. Screen look decent and sharp and more importantly games look great on it and smooth at 40hz - think I'll leave on default for the most part. Can't judge on battery life yet but will keep settings low to save on power.

Unfortunately though it looks like I lost the fan lottery.. Sounds like a mini jet engine on full blast so that means I got the Delta fan Not too bothered since the fan rarely ramps up to max with the new update. Might replace with an Ifixit one should it come back in stock.

But yeah super happy with it. I shall dub thee PSP2.

hinch said:

Its pretty darn awesome. Buttons/analogue feel great as are the ergonomics.. and despite its size, it doesn't feel heavy to hold at all. Screen look decent and sharp and more importantly games look great on it and smooth at 40hz - think I'll leave on default for the most part. Can't judge on battery life yet but will keep settings low to save on power.

Unfortunately though it looks like I lost the fan lottery.. Sounds like a mini jet engine on full blast so that means I got the Delta fan Not too bothered since the fan rarely ramps up to max with the new update. Might replace with an Ifixit one should it come back in stock.

Dang, the noisy fan is still a problem eh. Hopefully when they release the Steam Deck 2, they will solve that problem. I do wonder if replacing one from ifixit would solve it.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Yeah still a lottery for that. Unfortunate, really. Hopefully they'll avoid using Delta ones in future revisions or SD 2.

But yeah there's two you could end up with the SD; Delta or Huaying. The latter being the good one.. which is less high pitched and annoying. Will open up and confirm.

Apparently ifixit has the good ones and if you end up with a bad, you can return https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/are-your-steam-deck-fans-too-loud-ifixit-is-working-on-an-upgrade

Around the Network

Dang that's awesome. I wish Valve had all this setup prior to launch otherwise I wouldn't have sold mine. Least all this will be a good foundation for Steam Deck 2.

Conina said:

I like his videos and analysis, and I guess for a major Switch sponsor like him to tell good things about the Deck is awesome indication. Dang, I wish I could get my hands on one.

P.S.: that screenshot comparison is just mean lol

hinch said:

Thanks for posting this and congrats on the purchase! I guess the 40hz/40fps seems to be the general rule of thumb as far as configs go, then. I believe most videos that I have seen state just that.

So, time for some food for thought. I saw this recently here at VGChartz:

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/453880/steam-deck-tops-the-steam-charts-as-v-rising-drops-to-2nd/

Even if I find it weird to have a console competing against games (aka, software) being sold (maybe they consider all "products" - I have not checked the exact methodology, so bear with me on this), the apparently successful sales got me thinking about something. For years now I have preferred to buy PC games on GOG over Steam (and the ones I got for free from Epic have never been played yet because I dread the thought of installing that store on my computer lol). I would wait for them to appear on GOG if I could for so many reasons (no DRM, possible to download the actual files, GOG's cooler concept, usually better optimization, among others), but after seeing that the Deck seems to be doing well, I started wondering if it is going to become a product line instead of Steam's general "one product that never gets repeated again" style of thing. And if that happens, I would like to have my games on Steam, where I could run then on a Deck without much hassle (when and if I get my hands on one, I have no intention of installing Windows on it, as I have already explained in this very thread). What would be blasphemy for me some 2 months ago is now an actual consideration (as in, running Witcher3 on Deck is gonna be harder now that my copy is on GOG). If Gabe and Co. had a thought similar to these lines when discussing the introduction of the Deck, they are succeeding already.

Tbh while I like the idea of GoG, I never really buy games there unless it's free or at a deep discount because of the feature set that Steam offers and Steam in itself isn't a DRM. I forgot which game I tested this with but I think it was the Witcher 3 way back when. Basically I downloaded the game which I knew was DRM free on steam. Then I copied the game into a flash drive and transferred the game onto a different computer where I did not install Steam. Then I ran the game and boom, it worked without any problems even though I bought it on Steam because the DRM portion is up to the developers.

But the features I sacrifice by not buying on Steam continuously grows as Valve adds in more products and features. On the Steam Deck, Valve is able to optimize each game so you don't have issues like shader compilation stutter. But what's more is that I would lose out on family sharing. I have friends in Mexico and Europe who I share my Steam library with and if I buy it from else where, well then they don't get to play the game.

Another thing is that I recently bought a Macbook Pro 16 M1 and while it has a fap worthy screen, great speakers and battery, it is shitty at playing games. (I obviously didn't buy it for gaming). But thanks to Steam's remote play, I can connect my Macbook Pro to my RTX 3080 PC and it works really well cause now I can play games in a different room at ultra settings. And it's reasons like that why I don't bother with EGS or GOG or etc. Steam just has too many features that others aren't matching.