By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - The Official Steam Deck Thread

Will you buy one?

Yes, I'm excited to get one. 20 34.48%

No, I don't think so. 22 37.93%

Maybe, I need to see how ... 16 27.59%

Total:58

Got a reservation for the 512GB model. Unfortunately, I was a little too late, so I won't be getting it before next year.

I'm really looking forward to it. The PC is my platform of choice and I'm looking forward to tune down graphics to achieve 60 fps in just about any game relevant to me. I also love to tinker with things and I enjoyed using Linux since 20 years. I'm really hyped to see if I will even need Windows on the Steam Deck. Plus I always was a handheld guy ever since the orginal Gameboy.

There's just so much you can do with the little thing, I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
OdinHades said:

Got a reservation for the 512GB model. Unfortunately, I was a little too late, so I won't be getting it before next year.

I'm really looking forward to it. The PC is my platform of choice and I'm looking forward to tune down graphics to achieve 60 fps in just about any game relevant to me. I also love to tinker with things and I enjoyed using Linux since 20 years. I'm really hyped to see if I will even need Windows on the Steam Deck. Plus I always was a handheld guy ever since the orginal Gameboy.

There's just so much you can do with the little thing, I can't wait to get my hands on it.

This is spot on and well in line with what I also think, or at least desire. I could care less about Windows if Linus were the platform of choice for game publishing, and the Deck might be a nice push in that direction. Heck, if I can simply skip Windows on the Deck altogether and install basic productivity programs on the Steam OS I'll be a happy man.

On this topic, has anyone here used the Steam OS? How is your general experience so far?

In other news

AMD + Valve Working On New Linux CPU Performance Scaling Design

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-Valve-New-CPU-Freq

"AMD and Valve have been working to improve the performance/power efficiency for modern AMD platforms running on Steam Play (Proton / Wine) and have spearheaded "[The ACPI CPUFreq driver] was not very performance/power efficiency for modern AMD platforms...a new CPU performance scaling design for AMD platform which has better performance per watt scaling on such as 3D game like Horizon Zero Dawn with VKD3D-Proton on Steam."

AMD is ramping up efforts in these areas including around the Linux scheduler given their recent hiring spree while it now looks like thanks to the Steam Deck there is renewed interest in better optimizing the CPU frequency scaling under Linux.

AMD will be presenting more about this effort next month at XDC."

It will certainly be interesting to see how it all turns out. If there's one thing that's for sure, there's a lot going on under the hood than your standard affair if that wasn't obvious already.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

In other news

AMD + Valve Working On New Linux CPU Performance Scaling Design

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-Valve-New-CPU-Freq

"AMD and Valve have been working to improve the performance/power efficiency for modern AMD platforms running on Steam Play (Proton / Wine) and have spearheaded "[The ACPI CPUFreq driver] was not very performance/power efficiency for modern AMD platforms...a new CPU performance scaling design for AMD platform which has better performance per watt scaling on such as 3D game like Horizon Zero Dawn with VKD3D-Proton on Steam."

AMD is ramping up efforts in these areas including around the Linux scheduler given their recent hiring spree while it now looks like thanks to the Steam Deck there is renewed interest in better optimizing the CPU frequency scaling under Linux.

AMD will be presenting more about this effort next month at XDC."

It will certainly be interesting to see how it all turns out. If there's one thing that's for sure, there's a lot going on under the hood than your standard affair if that wasn't obvious already.

Super interesting. And, yeah, it seems so. Like I said before, optimization is key here, and I'm very curious to see how that goes.

Captain_Yuri said:
farlaff said:

I wonder how they managed to achieve such a low price. The specs/cost ratio is insane, and I don't know how they managed to get, for instance, RAM at that rate.

Yea they are probably losing money on this but I think their goal is to push people towards Steam OS which why they are putting so much effort into the OS instead of using Windows. If they can get people to use Steam OS instead of Windows, then they would have full control like consoles do. But if not, then they will still make money off of people buying games on Steam and carve out a new segment in PC gaming. But that's just my theory anyway.

Hypothetically they could try to lock it down like consoles (which themselves have been cracked), but it seems pretty clear they are NOT aiming for that, instead emphasizing it is open  like PC, able to run any OS or store. I see people talk of installing Windows, but that shouldn't be necessary for Epic or anybody else to release store that runs on their Linux distro and is optimized for the format. If somebody else offers "clone" product, it will likely be under same open terms even if default store installation is different (e.g. Sony-Epic, MS) since the format is being established around PC gaming expecations. And honestly, Steam could lose quite a bit of market share in PC gaming space and still be very dominant and profitable, so growing the pool with new format that will be heavily associated with them probably doesn't carry much  downside risk.

EDIT: The CPU Frequency scaling and scheduling work might even be portable to Sony's OS even though it isn't Linux per se, and wouldn't be using D3D. That could be a nice future performance patch for the OS.

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 02 August 2021

Around the Network
mutantsushi said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yea they are probably losing money on this but I think their goal is to push people towards Steam OS which why they are putting so much effort into the OS instead of using Windows. If they can get people to use Steam OS instead of Windows, then they would have full control like consoles do. But if not, then they will still make money off of people buying games on Steam and carve out a new segment in PC gaming. But that's just my theory anyway.

Hypothetically they could try to lock it down like consoles (which themselves have been cracked), but it seems pretty clear they are NOT aiming for that, instead emphasizing it is open  like PC, able to run any OS or store. I see people talk of installing Windows, but that shouldn't be necessary for Epic or anybody else to release store that runs on their Linux distro and is optimized for the format. If somebody else offers "clone" product, it will likely be under same open terms even if default store installation is different (e.g. Sony-Epic, MS) since the format is being established around PC gaming expecations. And honestly, Steam could lose quite a bit of market share in PC gaming space and still be very dominant and profitable, so growing the pool with new format that will be heavily associated with them probably doesn't carry much  downside risk.

EDIT: The CPU Frequency scaling and scheduling work might even be portable to Sony's OS even though it isn't Linux per se, and wouldn't be using D3D. That could be a nice future performance patch for the OS.

Yea I am not saying they will lock it down to console level but they are trying to persuade people to use Steam OS and Linux. I don't think they will ever ban or prevent Windows from working but I think they do want to try and get people on board with Steam OS. And the main reason is having such a integration at a both OS level and Store level is a huge benefit to them. Especially as their store would be the forefront and be pre-installed instead of having new comers go out and install it. If successful, they would no longer need to worry about what Microsoft's plans are and instead, can do their own vision.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Some hands-on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SElZABp5M3U

Summary:
It's big but ergonomics look fine. He doesn't complain wrt to the weight.
Touch pad better than the steam controller?
Analogue triggers and gyro controls (activated via thumbstick touch or touchpad).
USB-C works as it should (controller and video output).
Browser bookmarks for VOD plus other stuff.

Last edited by TomaTito - on 07 August 2021

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

It's hard to play some games on switch like doom. If you want 3rd party handheld this is the way to go. Looks great. Don't think I'll get one personally though.

Valve is creating a Steam Deck API for devs to quickly optimise games

https://www.pcgamer.com/valve-steam-deck-api-optimisation/

Valve is working with AMD to ensure Steam Deck is chill with Windows 11

https://www.pcgamer.com/steam-deck-windows-11-tpm-compatibility/

Sounds like by the time it launches, installing Windows shouldn't have any issues

TomaTito said:

Some hands-on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SElZABp5M3U

Summary:
It's big but ergonomics look fine. He doesn't complain wrt to the weight.
Touch pad better than the steam controller?
Analogue triggers and gyro controls (activated via thumbstick touch or touchpad).
USB-C works as it should (controller and video output).
Browser bookmarks for VOD plus other stuff.

Cool. I had not seen this one before. Watched the whole of it in one sitting. Super exciting stuff.