By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - The Official Steam Deck Thread

Will you buy one?

Yes, I'm excited to get one. 20 34.48%

No, I don't think so. 22 37.93%

Maybe, I need to see how ... 16 27.59%

Total:58
Zippy6 said:

It's hard to play some games on switch like doom. If you want 3rd party handheld this is the way to go. Looks great. Don't think I'll get one personally though.

Doom runs super well on Switch. Not a PC, but very well optimized for what it is. But of course the Deck should provide the superior experience.

Around the Network
farlaff said:
Zippy6 said:

It's hard to play some games on switch like doom. If you want 3rd party handheld this is the way to go. Looks great. Don't think I'll get one personally though.

Doom runs super well on Switch. Not a PC, but very well optimized for what it is. But of course the Deck should provide the superior experience.

Wolfenstein, doom. They're both too blurry for me. I can deal with 30fps if I have to but not those low resolutions.

Skyrim is an example of a third party that runs great on switch. It's sharp and crisp when playing handheld.

Captain_Yuri said:

Valve is creating a Steam Deck API for devs to quickly optimise games

https://www.pcgamer.com/valve-steam-deck-api-optimisation/

Valve is working with AMD to ensure Steam Deck is chill with Windows 11

https://www.pcgamer.com/steam-deck-windows-11-tpm-compatibility/

Sounds like by the time it launches, installing Windows shouldn't have any issues

I like this, even though for now it seems like just a set of specific options. But what I want to know how independent from Windows this is going to be and every effort in that direction interests me.

Zippy6 said:
farlaff said:

Wolfenstein, doom. They're both too blurry for me. I can deal with 30fps if I have to but not those low resolutions.

Skyrim is an example of a third party that runs great on switch. It's sharp and crisp when playing handheld.

Yeah, I understand, but Skyrim is 10 years old now and runs on an ancient engine. Much easier to port for these days and at the time Switch was released.

I know most have probably already seen this, but here we go anyway:

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/450235/phil-spencer-xcloud-and-xbox-games-work-well-on-steam-deck/

Around the Network

This is Valve's Official tear down of the Deck. It skipped my attention somehow, but now I'm gonna post it here:

And this is Linus channel's take on it:

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

Truly what a time to be alive to see this becoming a reality. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Truly what a time to be alive to see this becoming a reality. 

Err, it was already possible ;)