By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 29, 2021 - (July 12 - July 18)

deerox said:
curl-6 said:

So from the top 30:

NS - 29 (Including the entire top 23)

PS4 - 2

Second week in a row without any PS5 games.

You need to check your math. This isn't the top 31.

It's not a question of the math, it's me having big fingers, poor motor control, and 9 and 8 being right next to each other. ;)

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

29+2=30

我是广州人

curl-6 said:

So from the top 30:

NS - 28 (Including the entire top 23)

PS4 - 2

Second week in a row without any PS5 games.

June had several notable PS5 releases.  They all fell off of the charts really fast.  Even when a PS5 game makes it to the top 30, its sales end up incredibly frontloaded.

PAOerfulone said:

On Amazon Japan, the Switch models are being sold for very close to their regular retail prices. The closest they've been in a very long time.

Same goes for Yodobashi Camera

Bic Camera

And Yamada Denki

So, stock is not the issue from the looks of it. Either demand is going down or consumers are holding off for the OLED model.

Well now the Neon red/neon blue Switch is sold out on Amazon.

Sogreblute said:

That PS4 decline is much bigger than what anyone thought it would be. The fact the PS4 will sell 1 million less than the PS3 in Japan shows that PS is really declining there. There is no way the PS5 goes above 8 million unless something unexpected happens.

But we have to factor in what we're already seeing, which is the PS5 comfortably outselling PS4. Demand for it in international asian markets may be a big part of this, so the consoles may not literally be sitting in Japan but as far as famitsu numbers tell us, the PS5 is outselling the PS4 (ATM). Will be important to see when sales reflect demand and not just supply. 

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:

On Amazon Japan, the Switch models are being sold for very close to their regular retail prices. The closest they've been in a very long time.

Bic Camera

And Yamada Denki

So, stock is not the issue from the looks of it. Either demand is going down or consumers are holding off for the OLED model.

Kakadu18 said:
PAOerfulone said:

Bic Camera

And Yamada Denki

Well now the Neon red/neon blue Switch is sold out on Amazon.

So in other words, there are still some supply issues, but not as pressing as they were before.

People probably are holding out for the OLED model, so I expect the sales to go down a bit more until it launches.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Definitely the japanese gamers are after the Series X and not the Series S. This may be a good sign for Microsoft.

Well it's pretty much the same all over the world, there is way less interest in Series S

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

SKMBlake said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Definitely the japanese gamers are after the Series X and not the Series S. This may be a good sign for Microsoft.

Well it's pretty much the same all over the world, there is way less interest in Series S

But...but...digital is the future!

Otter said:
Sogreblute said:

That PS4 decline is much bigger than what anyone thought it would be. The fact the PS4 will sell 1 million less than the PS3 in Japan shows that PS is really declining there. There is no way the PS5 goes above 8 million unless something unexpected happens.

But we have to factor in what we're already seeing, which is the PS5 comfortably outselling PS4. Demand for it in international asian markets may be a big part of this, so the consoles may not literally be sitting in Japan but as far as famitsu numbers tell us, the PS5 is outselling the PS4 (ATM). Will be important to see when sales reflect demand and not just supply. 

What really needs to be factored in is scalpers.  

I've come to the conclusion that 2020 created far more scalpers than we've ever seen before (and worldwide too, not just Japan).  We had this perfect storm where brick and mortar retailers had to close while demand for video games was skyrocketing.  Also a lot of people were unable to work.  That was the perfect climate to create scalpers. 

Last year, the Switch would have had shortages even without scalpers, but I do think scalpers made it a lot worse.  This year, I think the PS5 is in the same situation.  There would be some shortages anyway, but scalpers are making things a lot worse.  I expect next year the Switch OLED model will be the device to be heavily supply constrained.  Scalpers need to move on to the next hot device.  Then in 2023 there will hopefully be no hugely in demand hardware and a lot of these scalpers can die off.  Until then, I think we are going to see every shortage magnified as scalpers try to take advantage of any type of shortage or scarcity there might be.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
SKMBlake said:

But...but...digital is the future!

Don't tell me, I bought a PS5 DE before knowing that "discounted PS5 games" actually meant "full price games during PS4 era"

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me