By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No-longer-bold prediction: Sony will release PS5 Portable in late 2023/2024

Will it?

Probably 2 2.67%

Maybe 7 9.33%

Probably not 26 34.67%

No. 40 53.33%

Total:75

Are gamers expected to rebuy their PS5 library for the HH or is it shared with PS5?

If it's shared, how does Sony make a profit on the HH?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:

Are gamers expected to rebuy their PS5 library for the HH or is it shared with PS5?

This is my only concern. If I can share a library I would buy it no thinking needed even at the cost of DRM. But im not willing to rebuy games for it.

But that dosent mean sony would not make money. Would probably mean that people buy more games. As there are games that would be better suited for handheld and for consoles wich you would probably be incline to buy just one if you had either the handheld or console. Like for me theres no way I would play a turn base rpg on my ps5 but I love to do so on my switch. And the same as I dont play data pace action games on my switch but do on ps5.

Also there will be plenty of people who only choose one form factor. But yea. I see this just like the steam deck. It would mostly attract people with an existing ps5. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

IcaroRibeiro said:

Sony fans haven't supported Vita which was by far the best handheld in the market. Why would they support a new model ?

Sony has to support its own products before fans will jump on board.  While the vita was a nice pice of hardware, there wasn’t any software on it worth having.   It was just a jumble of ports and niche games.

I think there are too many problems with a "shared ps5 library" approach and it comes heavily down to developer incentives. What Valve is doing with the Steam Deck is giving people the ability to play PC games on the go but they aren't guaranteeing that every game will be playable or meet a certain standard. They aren't going out there and being like, if your game doesn't work on the Steam Deck, we won't let you sell on Steam. They are simply giving a device that can play modern PC games on the go but no developer is going to be forced to scale their games down for it. So if a developer makes a PC game too demanding for it, Steam Deck users will simply have to skip it or play it on a more powerful PC. Heck, Call of Duty can't even fit in 2/3 models. The main draw of the Steam Deck is that it's a portable PC that can play games.

Sony can't do that with a "shared ps5 library". For that to work, Sony would need to force developers including their own to scale their games down to base PS4 levels. And I really don't think that's going to work cause either you will need to re buy all your games as those devs will need to be making special versions for it or if you don't have to rebuy them like with Steam Deck, then the publishers will be pissed that Sony is going to make them do all this work for free. We have seen devs complain about 4TF on the Series S. Now imagine 2TF with even more limitations.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Pyro as Bill said:

That's an excellent point. Nintendo is the only one of the big three that almost never takes losses on hardware sales. Sony and Microsoft make the vast majority of their video game profits on software and subscriptions. A portable refresh of the PS5 (with weaker specs but still able to run the same library) would run into a huge problem there. If it just has PS5 software, why put in the R&D plus everything else when you can just sell the same games on PS5?

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
Qwark said:

The PS5 isn't made for portable technology, even Valve is machine is only a bit better than a PS4 and to achieve that it already costs over € 400,-. To make a device with the strength of a Xbox Series S handheld will not be feasible with a decent battery life before this gen is over.

Double the Ram capacity, significantly better CPU and a far more efficient GPU isn't just "a bit better than a PS4".

The only thing that could potentially hold it back is fillrate due to limited DRAM bandwidth. (DDR5 @80GB/s~ probably not doing it any favours.)
But with draw stream binning rasterization, primitive shaders, delta colour compression... It should be close enough to be irrelevant.

Add in a spinkling of Ray Tracing, far better geometry performance, smart access memory, potentially an infinity cache, Fidelity FX/Super Resolution, Rapid Packed Math... And the list of hardware improvements over the Playstation 4 is rather extensive on the GPU front.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Kyuu said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I think there are too many problems with a "shared ps5 library" approach and it comes heavily down to developer incentives. What Valve is doing with the Steam Deck is giving people the ability to play PC games on the go but they aren't guaranteeing that every game will be playable or meet a certain standard. They aren't going out there and being like, if your game doesn't work on the Steam Deck, we won't let you sell on Steam. They are simply giving a device that can play modern PC games on the go but no developer is going to be forced to scale their games down for it. So if a developer makes a PC game too demanding for it, Steam Deck users will simply have to skip it or play it on a more powerful PC. Heck, Call of Duty can't even fit in 2/3 models. The main draw of the Steam Deck is that it's a portable PC that can play games.

Sony can't do that with a "shared ps5 library". For that to work, Sony would need to force developers including their own to scale their games down to base PS4 levels. And I really don't think that's going to work cause either you will need to re buy all your games as those devs will need to be making special versions for it or if you don't have to rebuy them like with Steam Deck, then the publishers will be pissed that Sony is going to make them do all this work for free. We have seen devs complain about 4TF on the Series S. Now imagine 2TF with even more limitations.

With handhelds, developers have more freedom to reduce resolutions since their games are being primarily played on small screens. An improvement in hardware resolution reconstruction technologies will help mitigate the specs differences as well.

While true, "for free" is asking a lot from publishers. Resolution is just one aspect of the game. You can see this with Witcher 3 Switch vs PC comparison.

While specialized versions are doable... "For Free" is not unless you want them to re-buy those games.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

RolStoppable said:
Kyuu said:

1. Sony often made higher specs per dollar than arguably anyone in the console business. Switch lite is getting comfortably outsold by the standard model and is likely to get outsold by the OLED model which is nearly double its price. And I very much doubt the Switch 2 (which should launch close to PS5P and pack slightly or moderately weaker specs) is gonna cost lower than $300. Knowing Nintendo and the Switch's momentum, they're probably going for $350, THAT is the price range that I'd compare it to. Or do you think Sony entering the market will throw Nintendo into panic mode and have them aggressively reduce their prices? Even if they do that, PS5P is self sustainable and can succeed purely on the existing Playstation fanbase. Playstation handhelds, the great PSP included, didn't have the kind of library you'd expect from a Playstation home console. It wasn't even close. PS5P can change that.

No matter, PS5 at $500 (broke even by June) is setting records and crushing the $300 Series S which is hailed by the media as the holy grail of value. PS5P at $400-$450 will at worst do just fine imo. Games and functionality will outweigh prices unless we're talking $500+.

2. The Switch at launch had a battery life of just 2.5 hours for demanding games (and up to 6.5 hours, as opposed to 8 hours on Steam Deck). You're underestimating the difference 2 or 3 year make for efficiency. PS5P's hardware may well be significantly more powerful and more efficient than Steam Deck, and it's possible that Sony would opt for multiple profiles in the vein of handheld mode and docked mode to save energy.

3. PS5 is making strides as far compression technology which has shown ridiculous potential that I expect more and more developers to tap into, if (a big if) this can somehow carry over to the handheld which will run games at much lower resolutions, then there shouldn't be much to worry about. Sizes will be a lot smaller than on Steam Deck. If Switch 2 turns out as powerful as the rumors implied, it could face some game size challenges of its own.

4. PS5P is an unexplored territory. We have little clue on how the market will react to it and which type of players it will primarily appeal to. It's like Monster Hunter World, people swore it would flop ("2 million max across all platforms bruh, fucking Crapcom"), not willing to accept that a proper home console Monster Hunter had never been well-timed or properly done before. Or when everyone was crying doom gloom at Switch's reveal.

In my opinion though, I think the reactions for a PS5P would be overwhelmingly positive.

5. Digital will be the dominant format by then so I don't see it as a deal breaker for the majority of people. But yes, it is definitely a problem that will hurt sales.

Well... how much units sold would you define as being a "failure"? I think 20 million would be a pretty good result, and 30 million an excellent result.

PS5's R&D didn't stop Sony and Playstation from breaking profit and revenue records, did it? That's a non issue, especially seeing as how comfortable Sony will be by 2024. It's definitely a "risk" worth taking.

1. Price: You are mixing up a lot of things in your price comparison. The standard Switch and upcoming OLED model have no problem selling because they are hybrid consoles, that's absolutely not the same thing as handheld-only consoles in terms of value. Things would be different if you were suggesting a PS5 hybrid in your prediction, but you aren't.

As for the games that go along with it, one caveat is that all PS5 games released before the PS5P would need to be patched in order to run on it. While we could say for the sake of argument that it wouldn't be much work if only a few settings needed to be changed in order for the games to work in an acceptable state, it's still work that is required. The point is that the PS5P wouldn't be able to play any PS5 game right out of the gate, because not all publishers would be updating their games. A PS5P isn't the same thing as a PS4 Pro which could grant benefits even to games that weren't patched, because the PS4 Pro was more powerful than the original PS4; but a PS5P will be less powerful than the original PS5, so it's not the same easy process. That's why the PS5 game library is not an automatic win for the PS5P for price/value considerations.

2. Battery life: While the original Switch did have battery life of ~3 hours for demanding games, or as little as 2.5 hours with all settings cranked up to the max, this is again not a like for like comparison. The caveat here is that the demanding games were usually played in docked mode where battery life doesn't matter to begin with. You address this by proposing a docked mode, but if the PS5P would be first and foremost used for docked play with these games, then people might as well buy a regular PS5 which can play all PS5 games, past and present.

3. Game sizes: More compression necessitates more work going into old PS5 games, but even with good compression rates and all developers going for it, you aren't going to get around additional storage being mandatory.

4. This assumes that Sony would get things right in order to align with the examples of Monster Hunter World and Switch. But a PS5P would have a lot of things that are out of Sony's control, most importantly the compatibility with the existing PS5 library outside of their own games.

Under 10m would certainly be a failure. 20m works as a bar that should be aimed for to greenlight such a project in the first place.

The PS5 was a much safer project than a PS5P will be. The PS5 was also a necessity to keep the PS+ subscriptions going, but a PS5P won't be. But this isn't a question of whether the PS division will remain profitable or not, rather it's about where money is best spent. That's what the closing paragraph of my previous post was about. What are the goals of a PS5P and can these goals possibly be achieved with a more cost-effective and less risky strategy.

The Valve announcement has people looking at a portable that revolves around the steam store so doesn't have many of the issues that would face a console based portable and the first thing that crops up is wanting a PSP5 followed straight up with arguments over a jumble of tech specs/ pricing etc, instead of more importantly following Rol's lead and firstly looking at goals and ROI concerns and viability issues . Human nature or something else?

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Pyro as Bill said:

More entry points into the PS ecosystem (think of Japan for example), higher engagement due to more ways to play & launching at a break-even price (selling for profit for most of its life).

Worth remembering that part of this handheld revolution we're seeing is due to the acceptance that handhelds do not need to fit in the pocket to be appealing. Mobile chips are also scaling at a faster rate than desktops. All of this makes powerful handhelds more financially viable than they were before.

But I agree there isn't some obvious jackpot for Sony to hit even if it succeeded, which throws doubt on whether its worth taking the risk

Safe to say OP wants PS to re-enter the mobile gaming space.