By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware June 20-26 - Switch Sells 376K, PS5 Sells 226K, XS Sells 136K

HigHurtenflurst said:
yo33331 said:

It's a hybrid however no one buys it to play it as a home console. That's why I am saying that almost all of the buyers are buying it because it can be used as a handheld. Even Nintendo's official statement tells it.

Can you link me to that statement as I can only find play use research from 2017, which at the time was split:
20% primarily docked
30% primarily handheld
50% mixed use

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/171031_2e.pdf

I don't doubt it has increased in favour of handheld only (obviously as the Switch Lite can't be docked) but it would be nice to have a source.

I m waiting too. 

Around the Network
yo33331 said:
Agente42 said:

@yo33331 Switch is a hybrid system, not a portable, the researchers demonstrate this. So you don't research about this or ignore the data? The two options s is very bad

It's a hybrid however no one buys it to play it as a home console. That's why I am saying that almost all of the buyers are buying it because it can be used as a handheld. Even Nintendo's official statement tells it.

If it was the case, the Switch Lite would be the best selling unit. Which is far from it, 70% of Switch sales are for the regular one, since the launch of the Lite (33 million Switch sold since september 2019 vs 14.7 million Switch Lite sold)

That speaks volume

Intresting, second week in a row that xbox sells more than PS5 in US. Its a shame in Europe its 3:1 though.

yo33331 said:

@curl-6 Stop with that bullshit that the switch is special one of a kind thing. it is console just like any other. it's a hybrid yes, but 90% of the buyers are handheld buyers. Just like with the DS. DS did better numbers from the switch and still it's audience were 100% handheld. Someone who wants home console would have already bought and play on PS4 or XB1 before 2021, and would've give his money on the PS5 or XBSX now not on the switch to play home on a PS3 like graphics.

Also I don't know who predicted for the switch to fall of a cliff in 2018 or 2019, this is stupid. It is normal to sell well for 3-4 years at least. But with 2020 and 2021 no one was expecting the sales that it did. However on it's sixth year - 2022 (after march) it's normal for the system to decline. And yes I am saying decline even for this year however 25M vs 28M last year isn't really a decline. Just like it wasnt decline for the DS from 29M to 27M in 2009, or it isn't decline for the PS4 from 20M to 18M in 2018. Those are just margin of error like .. You cant really call 10-15% a decline.

Bold: show me where you got that from, because that is bullshit. People buy the Switch for Nintendo games and/or because it's hybrid, not only because it's handheld.

You pull random numbers out of thin air and then call what others say bullshit.

I can't take you serious anymore.

yo33331 said:

yo33331 said:

@curl-6 Stop with that bullshit that the switch is special one of a kind thing. it is console just like any other. it's a hybrid yes, but 90% of the buyers are handheld buyers. Just like with the DS. DS did better numbers from the switch and still it's audience were 100% handheld. Someone who wants home console would have already bought and play on PS4 or XB1 before 2021, and would've give his money on the PS5 or XBSX now not on the switch to play home on a PS3 like graphics.

Also I don't know who predicted for the switch to fall of a cliff in 2018 or 2019, this is stupid. It is normal to sell well for 3-4 years at least. But with 2020 and 2021 no one was expecting the sales that it did. However on it's sixth year - 2022 (after march) it's normal for the system to decline. And yes I am saying decline even for this year however 25M vs 28M last year isn't really a decline. Just like it wasnt decline for the DS from 29M to 27M in 2009, or it isn't decline for the PS4 from 20M to 18M in 2018. Those are just margin of error like .. You cant really call 10-15% a decline.

Others have beaten me to it but Nintendo's own statistics about Switch use as well as the hybrid model consistently outselling the Lite show your claims to be untrue.

Again, I'm not saying the system will not decline next year, it likely will as a decline in sales by a system's 6th year is normal, on that we agree, but your claims of it falling sharply to 15 million in 2022 honestly comes off as wishful thinking not based on any logical evidence.

Around the Network
EnricoPallazzo said:

Intresting, second week in a row that xbox sells more than PS5 in US. Its a shame in Europe its 3:1 though.

And the fact that the majority of all manufactured consoles are shipped to NA tells us MS hasn't changed anything in the long run.

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

Others have beaten me to it but Nintendo's own statistics about Switch use as well as the hybrid model consistently outselling the Lite show your claims to be untrue.

Again, I'm not saying the system will not decline next year, it likely will as a decline in sales by a system's 6th year is normal, on that we agree, but your claims of it falling sharply to 15 million in 2022 honestly comes off as wishful thinking not based on any logical evidence.

The switch lite is not just handheld only switch. The switch lite is this - lite model. It not the full package, it has smaller battery and smaller screen.

And in time of phones (with normal and beefed models) and Pro consoles many people (casual gamers and not so hardcore) just take the full package model because on most of the tech the lite models are missing more than just battery and screen and the mass buyer or casual gamer are not exactly sure what they are missing with the lite model. Therefore most of the people go to the normal switch naturally. Even if they want to play only handheld. So 15M sold Lite units doesn't mean directly only 15M of switch users bought and use it primary as a handheld. There is no research about that we can't be sure but I've worked in store and I've seen how many and many people when they come and are not sure about some cheaper lite model (of whatever tech) they just pick the expensive one just to be on the safe side and to know that they are getting the full package.

Next year we will see, because it's pointless to argue here. Until we don't see the result, we can argue as long as we want and it is pointless.

Those were just predictions.

Nintendo's own data has already been posted showing that only 30% of Switch owners played primarily in handheld mode. Myself and many others bought it to use primarily or in significant part as a console. Nintendo has also stated on the matter that total docked vs undocked use was roughly 50-50.

yo33331 said:

Out of logic. Who will buy PS3 graphics system to play it on it's big 4K 60 inch TV in home when they have PS4 or PS5 in home ? With 4K graphics.

Switch doesn't have PS3 graphics, it outperforms the 7th gen consoles comfortably in graphical capability.

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

Nintendo's own data has already been posted showing that only 30% of Switch owners played primarily in handheld mode. Myself and many others bought it to use primarily or in significant part as a console. Nintendo has also stated on the matter that total docked vs undocked use was roughly 50-50.

This is from 2017, when switch was at around 10M or so sold. Now there are close to 90M so the ratio will have changed. However there is no recent research.

As for the PS3 graphics, It may have some graphical effect more but overall it is in the range of the 360/PS3 graphics. It is nowhere close to PS4 or XB1 let alone PS5 or XBSX...

The statement of 50-50 is from later, in 2018. Do you have any data at all to support your claims that its almost entirely bought as a handheld now?

And you're shifting the goalposts, it may not compete graphically with PS4/Xbone but you only have to look to games like Crysis Remastered, Metro Redux, or Alien Isolation to see the Switch version significantly outperforming the PS3/360 versions.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 12 July 2021

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

This is from 2017, when switch was at around 10M or so sold. Now there are close to 90M so the ratio will have changed. However there is no recent research.

As for the PS3 graphics, It may have some graphical effect more but overall it is in the range of the 360/PS3 graphics. It is nowhere close to PS4 or XB1 let alone PS5 or XBSX...

If they make a research now I'm sure docked ratio will increase because we spent the last 16 months in a pandemic and people are spending more time at home