By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch OLED model just got announced.

Mnementh said:
Dulfite said:

NES

SNES (not a huge leap)

Sorry, but this is a huge leap. While the NES sprites look basic, the SNES ones work very fine even by todays standards.

I'm not saying it doesn't look good, but compared to the jump to 3D this wasn't that big of a leap. At the time it probably felt like it, and people that really like to scrutanize visuals can think it, but most people playing games don't care about things like sprites.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
mZuzek said:

How on earth was the GameCube not a huge leap.

Sure the pictures you use don't help the comparison, not in the least because of Wind Waker's stylized artstyle, also not because I'm pretty sure that is not how Ocarina of Time looks on an actual N64 (textures looking way too high-res there). But come on.

This came out in 2002, by the way. Earlier than Wind Waker. Not only does it look miles better than any game on the N64, it also runs at a stable smooth 60fps - three times more frames than most N64 games.

Sure, I could have found the best looking game for each system and then compared, but that would be difficult to compare as easily as the same series. Metroid Prime was amazing looking, but it isn't that much improved upon what the Metroid 64 prototype looked like, not like that prototype improved on Super Metroid. And Metroid Prime 2/3/Other M were not significant improvements over MP1, whereas MP4 will be a massive leap forward for those games because it skipped Wii U generation. If MP4 came out on Wii U and MP5 came out on Switch, most consumers (not hardcore tech obsessed people that are the vast minority) would be putting our glasses on to see the minor technical improvements from Wii U to Switch. Switch 2 and whatever games it has will be the next big Nintendo leap forward before another decade of stagnation.

The last N64 game I played (and by last, I meant latest to launch) was Conker's Bad Fur Day from Rare. The first GCN game I played was Star Fox Adventures a launch/launch window game.

Conker is considered the crown jewel of N64 wizardry, but SFA makes it look like a flushed toilet of turds in a slideshow.

Another Rare game, Perfect Dark, is also considered a graphical high water mark for the N64, although it was often a 5 FPS slideshow. You can't honestly tell me you think that the system that brought you Metroid Prime isn't a huge leap over this:

I think anyone will absolutely give you GCN-to-Wii and Wii U-to-Switch, but the rest... c'mon man...

burninmylight said:
Dulfite said:

Sure, I could have found the best looking game for each system and then compared, but that would be difficult to compare as easily as the same series. Metroid Prime was amazing looking, but it isn't that much improved upon what the Metroid 64 prototype looked like, not like that prototype improved on Super Metroid. And Metroid Prime 2/3/Other M were not significant improvements over MP1, whereas MP4 will be a massive leap forward for those games because it skipped Wii U generation. If MP4 came out on Wii U and MP5 came out on Switch, most consumers (not hardcore tech obsessed people that are the vast minority) would be putting our glasses on to see the minor technical improvements from Wii U to Switch. Switch 2 and whatever games it has will be the next big Nintendo leap forward before another decade of stagnation.

The last N64 game I played (and by last, I meant latest to launch) was Conker's Bad Fur Day from Rare. The first GCN game I played was Star Fox Adventures a launch/launch window game.

Conker is considered the crown jewel of N64 wizardry, but SFA makes it look like a flushed toilet of turds in a slideshow.

Another Rare game, Perfect Dark, is also considered a graphical high water mark for the N64, although it was often a 5 FPS slideshow. You can't honestly tell me you think that the system that brought you Metroid Prime isn't a huge leap over this:

I think anyone will absolutely give you GCN-to-Wii and Wii U-to-Switch, but the rest... c'mon man...

Did... did you just Joe Biden me?! Nobody Joe Biden's me and gets away with it, I tell ya! 

In all seriousness, there are are numerous games that look many times better on GameCube compared to N64, and I've even argued it is one of the bigger leaps forward in the past (then people argued with me that it wasn't that big of a leap), but then I looked at the history of Metroid and came away pretty impressed by what the prototype looked like on N64 before it eventually was made into MP1 for the GameCube and it made me realize the GameCube wasn't quite as much of a jump forward as I thought, but sure we can still call it a huge leap forward. The Wii - GC and Wii U to Switch examples still stand up. I think Switch 2 will leave Wii U/Switch 1 in the dust. Switch 3 (or whatever it will be called) will be closer to Switch 2, if they continue repeating history.

mZuzek said:
Dulfite said:

Metroid Prime was amazing looking, but it isn't that much improved upon what the Metroid 64 prototype looked like

What in the actual fuck

Apparently the images/videos I found online (which impressed me) weren't associated with the real Metroid 64 because that one never made it past the planning stages. What I found, I guess, were fan made images/videos of what the game could have looked like, which doesn't count, so there really isn't anything from 64 to compare to MP1 so I withdraw my previous comments regarding that.

I forgot what this thread was about :P

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

I know it's already been said, but NES to SNES and N64 to Gamecube were factually and objectively huge leaps in graphical capability. 

That said, I do concur in that I too would like to see a big leap from Switch to its successor. Switch kinda fell partway between PS360 and PS4/Xbone, I'd like Switch 2 to similarly fall partway between PS4/Xbone and PS5/XS.

On the flipside, I am happy to wait til 2024 if that what it takes. Anytime before 2023 would be too early in my opinion. Give the Switch the long lifespan it deserves.

mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

I know it's already been said, but NES to SNES and N64 to Gamecube were factually and objectively huge leaps in graphical capability. 

That said, I do concur in that I too would like to see a big leap from Switch to its successor. Switch kinda fell partway between PS360 and PS4/Xbone, I'd like Switch 2 to similarly fall partway between PS4/Xbone and PS5/XS.

Well, this time we have a pretty obvious thing already that falls partway between PS4/Xbone and PS5/XS, those being the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. I'd be pretty disappointed if Nintendo's next console didn't reach at least their level, but honestly, I don't think it will.

A Switch 2 launching in 2023/2024 should have better shaders and effects work over PS4 (Pro) and Xbox One (X) due to being a decade more modern, just as Switch has better shaders and effects work over PS3 and 360.

Roma said:

I forgot what this thread was about :P

Switch has an OLED screen now.

It would be bonkers for Nintendo to start from scratch, they have a nice base to upgrade Switch's design and software.
Switch titles should be compatible with their new hardware.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Dulfite said:
Chrkeller said:

Wow. I felt the SNES was a huge leap and so was the Gamecube. N64 games ran at 4 fps and were ugly.

4ps lol. Most people that play video games don't recognize or care about fps, that's just something the truly hardcore care about. It's behind resolution, which itself is less on the radar of most gamers compared to "graphics." We can project on this website, since we are all hardcore gamers, that most gamers out there are, but that isn't reality. The vast majority of gamers don't pay attention to gaming websites, and there are probably more people in the world that believe in flat Earth than those that have heard of Digital Foundry.

People can tell when a game is exceptionally sluggish and blocky.  GameCube was a huge jump.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED