By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What people dislike about Wii U hardware?

Illusion said:

In fact, I believe that Nintendo released games like Smash, Splatoon, Mario Maker and maybe even Mario Kart with the expectation that they would get re-released on the Switch in order to make the investment in the game's development profitable for the company because the Wii U's paltry base was not enough to accomplish this by itself.

Smash, Splatoon, and Mario Maker didn't get re-released on Switch though, they got sequels instead.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Illusion said:

In fact, I believe that Nintendo released games like Smash, Splatoon, Mario Maker and maybe even Mario Kart with the expectation that they would get re-released on the Switch in order to make the investment in the game's development profitable for the company because the Wii U's paltry base was not enough to accomplish this by itself.

Smash, Splatoon, and Mario Maker didn't get re-released on Switch though, they got sequels instead.

I am sure that we can admit that there are a ton of re-used assets in these games from the Wii U, though.  I forgot to mention BotW in that list too.  I remember Sakurai say how he could never go through the stress of building another Smash game from scratch like he did on the Wii U.  Most Switch owners never owned a Wii U and we got a better game at the end by being able to build off of the assets in the Wii U installment.  It was a win-win for Switch gamers but it destroyed the Wii U's legacy as it basically has no unique experiences anymore.

JWeinCom said:
Leynos said:

Wii U exclusives were pretty great overall with some exceptions like Amiibo Festival or Starfox Zero.

There's a difference between great games and system selling games. For instance, NSMBU, the big launch title for the Wii U. It was a fine Mario platformer, and a great overall game, but it wasn't doing anything exciting enough to entice people to want to buy a new console for it. 

The Wii U's first couple of years were very sparse, especially the first year where there wasn't anything major from launch until Pikmin 3 (which itself isn't a huge title), a 9 month gap. By the time the Switch actually started getting some more ambitious titles the system had already been labeled a failure and it was too late.

I know this and also NSMB games are trash. Awful games.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Illusion said:
curl-6 said:

I am sure that we can admit that there are a ton of re-used assets in these games from the Wii U, though.  I forgot to mention BotW in that list too.  I remember Sakurai say how he could never go through the stress of building another Smash game from scratch like he did on the Wii U.  Most Switch owners never owned a Wii U and we got a better game at the end by being able to build off of the assets in the Wii U installment.  It was a win-win for Switch gamers but it destroyed the Wii U's legacy as it basically has no unique experiences anymore.

Smash on Switch is a new game. New engine. New lighting. New models. It's a new game.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Because the Wii U was a stupid idea implemented even worse. The tablet was effectively tethered to the system and could barely let you move outside visual range of your TV. It made it completely redundant as a concept. The low resolution of the tablet's screen also did not help at all, as well as the washed out colours. It wasn't the power that did this, and the naming fiasco in my opinion is exaggerated. Switch has many other new issues, such as Nintendo seriously dropping the ball for the first time on quality of manufacturing standards (all my Nintendo controllers, bar my first N64 controller still have no drift -- but on Switch I have already witnessed drift on more than 4 out of 8 joycons that I have owned; my SNES and NES controllers that are 25 and 32 years old still work and function perfectly; my first Game Boy from 1989 still works as the first day, if only for slightly washed out screen and muffled sound). Switch is, also, ergonomically inferior (to an already ergonomically horrible Wii U). Ergonomics have generally gone down in quality in recent gens with Nintendo, after the incredible work done during the Gamecube era.

But at least the Switch is not a stupid idea. It is a brilliant idea. It is the best handheld of all time, and allowing you to play it on a TV screen is a fantastic concept that evidently works. It is Wii U in reverse.

Around the Network

Wii U just oozed low quality jank. From the gamepad to the hardware and the software line up, it felt like a Fisher's Price console for toddlers.

I'm still really glad I own one though. It is the ultimate Nintendo box: it plays NES, SNES, N64 and tons of other retro games via VC, it plays Wii games and supports all peripherals, it plays Wii U games (the handful that are worth playing anyway). Considering the Wii is probably one of the best consoles ever made with a huge and amazing library, the BC saved the Wii U from being a total disaster.

The ridiculous Gamepad looked outdated on the day it launched. It reminded me of the Sega Game Gear that was 20 years older.

At the time it launched, tablets were becoming popular. Much larger screens, much smaller bezels, much thinner profiles. It looked ridiculous. Also, it was never well utilized.

I like the Wii U quite a bit, but I knew from the start that it was unlikely to be particularly successful. I bought one because I buy every Nintendo system, because I want to play Nintendo games. I don't regret the purchase. But, I think a lot about how stupid the Nintendo executives had to be to release that thing in 2012.

I will say that in my opinion, Mario Kart 8 is one of the best games Nintendo ever made. I like the controller options on the Wii U version.

That game is the crown Jewel of the Wii u. But, like most of the other good games, Nintendo just retread them for the switch. Those of us loyal Nintendo customers, that was like me that mostly by Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games, have been kind of screwed with this approach.

Leynos said:
Illusion said:

Smash on Switch is a new game. New engine. New lighting. New models. It's a new game.

Sakurai:

For Ultimate, because the development company is the same, the know-how wasn’t reset – it isn’t like we forgot how to make a good game in between games. There’s no need to change the game’s “architecture” between handheld mode and docked mode, either. We can re-use assets from the previous game, too – things like that.

Source: https://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-talks-development-of-smash-bros-ultimate-future-and-more/

There is a reason why Nintendo was able to release BotW, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Smash, Splatoon, Mario Maker all within a window of a little over 2 years on the Switch, while these entries took a generation and a half to get rolled out on the Wii U (last few years of Wii + entire Wii U life cycle).  It isn't just because Nintendo got better at developing in HD, Nintendo also finally figured out the art of re-using assets like most of Sony and MS's 3rd parties do on a yearly basis.  This never happened between the GCN to Wii and between the Wii to Wii U because these consoles were so radically different in terms of capabilities and gameplay styles.  I expect that BotW2 will re-use a ton of assets from the first BotW as well.

This:

Having the right stick above the face buttons on the controllers was my only real complaint about the Wii U. I actually really enjoyed the system, and felt it was criminally underappreciated. It deserved far better sales than what it got.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").