By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What people dislike about Wii U hardware?

padib said:

It all boils down to the question of what level of effort justifies calling a game a deluxe edition, a remaster, a remake, a port. How I see it, only one change in Ultimate could warrant calling it a new game (new campaign mode). But like I argued, it could also fit in the definition of a deluxe edition (example: brand new maps like the Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut). All the rest (level texture and background quality, balance changes, new characters), all that is in line with the patterns of the DLCs or other remasters that were never called new games. So I, esp. having played Smash 4 a lot, don't feel like we can call it a new game, like I can't call Ocarina of time 3D a new game just because they remade ALL the textures in the game (yes, all, that's a lot of effort).

It seems your definition of what constitutes a new game is stricter than most people so I'm curious, what criteria in being a new game does Ultimate fail to meet in your view? My definition isn't strict since I generally consider remakes new games so the difference interests me.

Around the Network

The OS was slow the game pad was bulky. Unclear messaging (anecdotes but I know a lot of people to this day that thought Wii u was an add -on and think the switch was their next console after the Wii . I'm also not sure if people remember but Nintendo basically left the launch window open "for third parties" advertising a bunch of 360 and ps3 ports basically and Launching with NSMBU which seemed redundant because NSMB2 Launched earlier that same year for 3ds

Much a system's image is established in its first year, and once that sets in it is very hard to change. Wii U quickly gained an image as a confusing, overpriced, underpowered system with no games.

By the time games like Mario Kart 8, Mario Maker, or Splatoon arrived, it was simply too late.

padib said:
psychicscubadiver said:

Okay either this is bait and I've been dumb enough to fall for it this long or you made a bet before Ultimate released that it would be a port and are just too stubborn to admit you're wrong.

It's not a bait, so if you don't want to talk about it that's okay, but don't call me stubborn since I could say the exact same thing about you, that you refuse to understand what to me is crystal clear. Anyhow if you actually play it, next time you turn it on you might think about what I said and change your mind, like all the others here who insist Smash Ultimate is not a glorified DLC or Deluxe Edition or Director's Cut or whatever we call things these days thats add a good amount of content and even some modes but don't change the underlying game. I gave tons of reason and examples so don't insult.

Your insults and refusal to put any water in your wine is why I absolutely hate talking to people when it comes to Nintendo games on here. It's always so cut and dry and, quite frankly, a complete bore.

Please reconsider your attitude, I've been quite gravious with you, conceding at times when I considered I may be wrong, and you my friend are being rude.

However you slice it, the U can't hold a candle to the Switch, or to any serious console for that matter, from both a hardware and software point of view. At least the gamecube had sound hardware. The U was Nintendo's biggest blunder after the virtual boy. At least it had some untapped potential which led to deluxe editions on Switch, I'll give it that.

Lol, whatever dude.

padib said:
psychicscubadiver said:

Oh, I'd never argue that the WiiU was better than the Switch on any front, software or hardware. I just disagreed with your original sentiment that ZombiU was shovelware and then your reply that the WiiU didn't have good games. It did have good games, they were just too few and tethered to a hardware that was not good.

Although, I would argue that Smash Ultimate is not an 'upgrade' of Smash 4. The two are different games for a multitude of reasons. The only reason you seem to think they are the same is that the physics engine was changed slightly instead being utterly overhauled like between the previous titles in the series. That one difference does not a 'port' make.

It all boils down to the question of what level of effort justifies calling a game a deluxe edition, a remaster, a remake, a port. How I see it, only one change in Ultimate could warrant calling it a new game (new campaign mode). But like I argued, it could also fit in the definition of a deluxe edition (example: brand new maps like the Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut). All the rest (level texture and background quality, balance changes, new characters), all that is in line with the patterns of the DLCs or other remasters that were never called new games. So I, esp. having played Smash 4 a lot, don't feel like we can call it a new game, like I can't call Ocarina of time 3D a new game just because they remade ALL the textures in the game (yes, all, that's a lot of effort).

As for the WiiU, I don't remember saying it only had bad games. But in contrast to the Switch, even its best games got better and deeper versions on the Switch, which proves how much stronger the Switch is to the U, and so the U, with a lower amount of appealing games, with a depth that could be improved upon, shows that even the library, while good, had a much weaker punch than what is expected from a successful console like the Switch.

I can tell you from my personal experience Ultimate plays differently than Smash on Wii U.  On the Wii U, I mainly played Link and my wife played Charizard.  We don't play either of these characters on Ultimate.  Charizard is now just part of Pokemon Trainer, and Link is now the BotW version and his bombs work totally differently.  The mechanics on these two characters are different enough to make us play other characters.  My daughter didn't really have a main on Wii U, but now she mostly plays Inkling and Piranha Plant, neither of which were available on Wii U.

For my family, the experience of the two games is radically different.  I've played plenty of other games that get counted as sequels where the gameplay changes a lot less than it changed between Wii U and Ultimate for Smash.

Around the Network

Wii = sleek, fast, and fresh. Center of the party.
Wii U = bulky, sluggish, and outdated. Boxed in the basement.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 13 July 2021

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

Wii = sleek, fast, and fresh. Center of the party.
Wii U = bulky, sluggish, and outdated. Boxed in the basement.

Beautifully put.

Wii felt exciting, cool, and was immediately easy to understand.

Wii U was barren, uncool, and unclear.

The Wiimote removed barriers to play, the Gamepad added them.