By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What people dislike about Wii U hardware?

mZuzek said:
Acevil said:

Honestly, the same reason I started disliking my PS4, it took too long to do stuff.

From my time with the PS4, I agree the slowness was painful. Even moreso than the Wii U in my experience. I hated the thing.

But the PS4 outsold the Wii U almost ten-to-one, so I wouldn't say this is the reason for most people.

I guess I was more answering why I hated the damn device, namely because of how slow it, more so than the average joe.

Also as smaller influencer in my group of friends, I would not sell the Wii U to them based on how long it takes to do anything. Only myself and one other person had the Wii U, while 9/10 of my closest friend got the switch, because I told them it was worth it. The only one who didn't believes in mythical Switch Pro is around the corner for about 2 years. 

Around the Network
Leynos said:

What's wrong with your PS4's? Mine is snappy and fast and 6 years old. Did you fill up the internal HDD? I used a 2TB external to install games.

I think people are complaining about the games loading times. Take a game that needs constant loading screen, let's say Final Fantasy XV, it becomes a nightmare of loading time even on Pro version  

It's not something from PS4, I think Xbone suffers from the same issue, but people are talking about their own experiences here and they probably had only Wii U and PS4

- The Gamepad, loved it as a concept. But it's limited by range, if you could use it anywhere in your home for off-screen play, it's application would be far more appealing.

- RAM. - Only 2GB of the stuff. - It was also a pathetic 12.8GB/s. The system was bandwidth limited.

- EMMC NAND. - Yay. Solid State storage. But... It's only 8GB or 32GB of the rubbish. EMMC just lacks the throughput needed to really make the system feel snappy, Nintendo cheaped out.

- GPU. - The GPU was a low-end Radeon with probably around 160 VLIW shader cores. It can definitely make a bigger punch than the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 GPU due to efficiency, but it was a very small GPU and it was held back by the rest of the system.

- CPU. - This is where things get tricky. - The WiiU's CPU whilst based on an older CPU design, was more efficient... It used an Out-Of-Order design, so a developer doesn't need to get compiler heavy in order to make the best use of the CPU Cores like they would on the Xbox 360/Playstation 's3 in-order cores.
The SRAM cache definitely helped as well. - The main thing that held back the WiiU's CPU was actually just clockrates rather than architectural choices.

The OS being clunky is most likely due to Nintendo's crap OS design, they had 1GB of Ram, they had Solid State Storage, they had an ARM9 CPU Core for background tasks/security, dedicated hardware audio engine... And it still ran like ass.
To be fair, the Switch's OS isn't exactly snappy either.. But it's infinitely more usable.

And even though the display is a paltry 480P, I think it was fine. Not great. Just fine, not like the specs could have pushed 1440P.

I think the WiiU was just advertised poorly. People got it confused with it being a peripheral, no one buys a Nintendo console for graphics or class-leading hardware.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 04 July 2021

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

IcaroRibeiro said:
Leynos said:

What's wrong with your PS4's? Mine is snappy and fast and 6 years old. Did you fill up the internal HDD? I used a 2TB external to install games.

I think people are complaining about the games loading times. Take a game that needs constant loading screen, let's say Final Fantasy XV, it becomes a nightmare of loading time even on Pro version  

It's not something from PS4, I think Xbone suffers from the same issue, but people are talking about their own experiences here and they probably had only Wii U and PS4

Not talking XBX but PS4 has much faster ram than XBO so I'd think an XBO was slower and load times vary by game. Some are fast. Some are slower. Can be not optimized well or FFXV has a lot to load. Wii U had 1GB of useable ram and it was slow so there is no comparison.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Why does everyone complain about the speed of it all? It’s not that slow, and… oh, wait. I’m the guy you all talk about when you say Nintendo fans will just accept anything? Yep, you’re all right. Moving on 😅

Around the Network

The WiiU has quite a lot of problems, but most of them can be followed to the very beginning of the console's lifespan. Confusing name, confusing gimmick, a generation behind in power, bad relations with 3rd parties, no real system seller until a year on... After that, everything went downhill, and Nintendo couldn't stop the snowball from rolling down, despite having so many great 1st parties.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I didn't actually have a problem with the Wii U hardware.

It's power level wasn't a problem for me as I still thought games like Mario Kart 8 and Fast Racing Neo looked great, and I even didn't mind the Gamepad, as long as it wasn't being used in a stupid and detrimental way. (Looking at you Starfox Zero)

The thing to remember with the Wii U is that while it's easy to look back now and say "look at all these great games", at the time they were either a case of the right game at the wrong time, and/or their impact was diminished by the fact that they were rare oases in a vast, barren desert, as the Wii U lacked the third party support Switch enjoys to plug the gaps between big releases, leading to near constant agonizing droughts.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Leynos said:

Not me. I never owned a PS4, so there's that. I borrowed one for a month to play Persona 5 Royal, but really, whenever the game wasn't running, dealing with the console was a nightmare. Turning it on always took so long. Sleep mode was clunky. Unplug the hard drive without doing special steps before it and everything went to shit. I plugged it into my TV and got no output, so I hear there's a way to turn it on straight into settings, but that was also an absolute pain to get to work. Making an account took literal hours because that's how the loading screens were, and also I got several errors along the way - enough that I actually had to make 2 accounts, because the first one got glitched. It was an absolute trainwreck.

mZuzek said:

Making an account took literal hours because that's how the loading screens were, and also I got several errors along the way - enough that I actually had to make 2 accounts, because the first one got glitched. It was an absolute trainwreck.

I thought it was only me who had problem with my Sony account. Painful experience, I tried for a whole night and couldn't make an account. In the next day I tried again in the morning and somehow managed to create it 

By the hardware itself was good, never had any problem with it

curl-6 said:

I didn't actually have a problem with the Wii U hardware.

It's power level wasn't a problem for me as I still thought games like Mario Kart 8 and Fast Racing Neo looked great, and I even didn't mind the Gamepad, as long as it wasn't being used in a stupid and detrimental way. (Looking at you Starfox Zero)

The thing to remember with the Wii U is that while it's easy to look back now and say "look at all these great games", at the time they were either a case of the right game at the wrong time, and/or their impact was diminished by the fact that they were rare oases in a vast, barren desert, as the Wii U lacked the third party support Switch enjoys to plug the gaps between big releases, leading to near constant agonizing droughts.

Honestly, this seems a pretty bad excuse. Some Wii U games were slightly improved on Switch, but they are largely the same game. From a outsider perspective looks like people only started to found them good because they like Switch and because they are selling well, people associate flop as a synonymous for bad quality, and the opposite holds true...

I always see so many people on intenert shitting on MS first party during Xbone days and I can't believe they are that bad, people on this forum more likely just looked at the underwhelming sales and convinced themselves they were bad because they were not selling