By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who "Won" E3 2021?

Who won E3?

Ubisoft 0 0%

Gearbox 0 0%

Microsoft 56 30.77%

Chaos (Square Enix) 3 1.65%

Nintendo 108 59.34%

Bandai Namco 2 1.10%

They all sucked 13 7.14%

Total:182

Nintendo first, Microsoft second, Ubisoft third, the rest didn't meat the basic qualifications for an E3 presentation and where better off taking the Sony and EA route by not showing up

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
ZyroXZ2 said:

Xbox by a pretty large margin. I'm noticing that a lot of people are simply saying "Nintendo" out of spite because they hate Xbox, but if you simply sit and compare the two, Xbox definitely put on more of a "show" and focused on making sure people were seeing the value in their Game Pass ecosystem and Xbox+PC ecosystem. They also embraced another meme with the Xbox Series X mini fridge lol

I've not seen one person say they hate Xbox. What I've seen is people who have a Nintendo Switch saying they preferred Nintendo's conference and that's fine.

Honestly, Nintendo & Microsoft had about equally awesome presentations for different reasons and for the most part both companies managed to deliver on quite a few things their fans want.

ZyroXZ2 said:

Xbox by a pretty large margin. I'm noticing that a lot of people are simply saying "Nintendo" out of spite because they hate Xbox, but if you simply sit and compare the two, Xbox definitely put on more of a "show" and focused on making sure people were seeing the value in their Game Pass ecosystem and Xbox+PC ecosystem. They also embraced another meme with the Xbox Series X mini fridge lol

Don't be silly Sony had by far the most impressive E3 they didn't show one bad game, as for MS very disappointing they built up peoples expectations when they  first unveiled this and after all this time in development we get a mini fridge talk about a downgrade, I can't comment on Nintendo's E3 since I've never heard of them.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

SMTV won it for nintendo imo.

The jump from being on 3DS to Switch is big.
Gameplay & graphics look like a decent jump.

*Breath of the Wild 2 looked pretty sweet too.

Zelda saved the whole event. I'm buying a switch when it releases.

Around the Network

Hard for me to say tbh. I liked Microsoft and Nintendo's presentations a lot!

KLXVER said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

That's not exactly how that works.  If you hate an actor, that doesn't mean the movie was bad (it could have been a great movie, even if you hate the actor).  The opposite can be true, too: maybe you love the actor and it's your fave actor, but the movie sucked.  A third thing is possible, too: just like certain games, sometimes the movie was bad but the actor was so amazing that they made a bad movie bearable!

Winning E3 isn't about what you liked, everyone has their fav franchises, preferred genres, etc.  Just because you don't prefer racing games or first person shooters doesn't mean Nintendo won E3.  If you go by sheer content showing and focus, Xbox absolutely dominated Nintendo because not only did they also show games and gameplay trailers, but also drove home their Game Pass content value along the way, and then tried to hype people about their future since they now have Bethesda in their stable.  Whether a person LIKES or DISLIKES these games or genres is irrelevant when asking "who won E3".  You win E3 by building your brand, something Nintendo did very little of, and Nintendo only hyped their future with BotW2...  Even Sony has been doing more to hype the future of PlayStation than Nintendo.

If this post said "Who had more of the games you want to play", then you'd be correct in that perspective.  Ironically, I actually intended to speak on this manner, soooo... I may end up putting more of my response to you into actual words in a video soon enough lmao

That is how it works. Its what excited you the most. Im guessing thats why the OP put "won" like that in the title. If you like a movie because of a certain actor, then thats what you like. Theres no official movie of the year. Its all preference. MS can build all they want, but if its not interesting, then what do I care?

That's literally not... By the token that it's only what you care about, then every fan in each fanbase simply picks their own because that's what they like to play.  That makes the question "who won E3" inherently flawed because people will simply pick their own system of choice.  This becomes simply a matter of numbers wherever you ask it: if a forum or site is primarily Sony fans, and you ask who won E3, guess who wins?  This is why the logic there is inherently flawed and why I can never succeed in gaming: I keep myself fiercely neutral to a fault.  Whoever has a great game has a great game, whoever has the most powerful console has the most powerful console, whoever has the most exclusives has the most exclusives.  Good is good, bad is bad.

In this case, Xbox presented far stronger than Nintendo.  And if you've seen my channel or know me, you'd know I love Nintendo... There is a bias in me that I have to suppress whenever I talk videogames because my bias is towards Nintendo (just look at the Displates I have on display!).  I often have to take a deep breath and check myself because I love Metroid and Zelda so much, so I knock some sense into myself and looked at Dread compared to what's out there (even in terms of 2D games), and it targeting 60fps makes its graphics suffer with poor textures, poor lighting, low poly models, and surprisingly still framerate dips.  I'm still going to buy it, but I'm subjective that those graphics are mobile game level, ESPECIALLY in light of a game like Monster Hunter Rise where you have four hunters, four buddies, and fighting Teostra with alpha effects popping off everywhere in a full 3D environment during online play.  Capcom rose the bar, and Dread targeting 60fps and doing it poorly will no simply be washed away because I love Metroid.

JSG87 said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

I've not seen one person say they hate Xbox. What I've seen is people who have a Nintendo Switch saying they preferred Nintendo's conference and that's fine.

Honestly, Nintendo & Microsoft had about equally awesome presentations for different reasons and for the most part both companies managed to deliver on quite a few things their fans want.

I think my statement wasn't clear when I said "a lot of people".  I meant that in general globally, lol

Though, saying Nintendo delivered on what fans want and completely ignoring how much hype there was around a Switch Pro... ... lmao

EDIT: You'll notice I didn't say they SAY they hate Xbox (though, I HAVE actually seen a few of those), but I've seen enough comments and tweets (again, globally, stuff that shows up in chats or on my feeds) that clearly pick Nintendo simply out of spite of Xbox.  And deep down, you probably know that's happening anyway lol

mjk45 said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

Don't be silly Sony had by far the most impressive E3 they didn't show one bad game, as for MS very disappointing they built up peoples expectations when they  first unveiled this and after all this time in development we get a mini fridge talk about a downgrade, I can't comment on Nintendo's E3 since I've never heard of them.

I mean, they did actually make that big thing, lol... Gotta give credit to MS for turning the criticism around so easily, they're even supposedly working on Craig plushies hahaha

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/

Nintendo won in actually displaying games that are interesting and in an interesting way. Microsoft on the other hand had a lot of interesting content, some of it showcased pretty well, some of it showcased in an ok manner, others were pretty weak.

I'll absolutely give credit to Microsoft for showcasing Stalker 2 like it's a big deal, because it should be a big deal (despite the reality being that the series up to this point has been mostly kept to being moderately successful niche PC exclusives), but that trailer went on a little too long in the tooth. Atomic Heart on the other hand was cool, but didn't show a particular lot. Halo Infinite showed a somewhat promising story teaser ... that also seemed to take our perception of the campaign in such a different direction from prior trailers, it almost makes you wonder why those trailers focused so much on other elements? Why was beard guy such a big part of previous trailers if he's going to be overshadowed by Newtana? And no campaign gameplay .... eh, a bit weak on that front honestly. Though, the multiplayer looked cool enough. A good showing from Halo, but it also felt like a makeup cake for last E3 that somehow forgot the icing. Forza Horizon 5 looked cool, but like ... seeing another explanation of what Horizon is and a breakdown of the location absolutely felt unnecessary. Lol. 

Nintendo didn't show as many interesting things, but what was interesting had pretty perfect trailers. Shin Megami Tensei V was surprisingly cool and also looks like the first time you can say a Shin Megami Tensei game (including the Persona series) looks great relative to what the system is capable of. They actually showed a lot and it's kind of surprising. The Warioware trailer made this game look a lot more intriguing then prior games in the series, given you are manipulating the characters rather than just using a cursor/pointer to change the environment around you. Apparently this might have been selectively a thing in the series? Here it looks like a big focus though and it absolutely makes a world of difference when looking at how visually appealing this new entry is. And of course Metroid Dread, which is now my most hyped game for the rest of the year. That looked great. I guess the exception is Zelda, where despite Breath of the Wild 2 looking cool, the trailer itself was not especially great. Especially after how long we've been waiting for an update. 

They're pretty close setting my Metroid bias aside. But honestly, even if Microsoft showed a greater variety of good content, I can't help but think the presentation was still a tad bit behind. Even if the actual format was very quick and concise for an E3 non-direct presentation. 

Edit: Actually should mention that overall, I'm as biased for Halo as I am Metroid. Halo simply hasn't been that good for a very long time. And while I really liked what they showed at E3, it really wasn't the comeback that would have put Microsoft's show over Nintendo's for me. 

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 16 June 2021

honestly for me all underwhelming

ZyroXZ2 said:
KLXVER said:

That is how it works. Its what excited you the most. Im guessing thats why the OP put "won" like that in the title. If you like a movie because of a certain actor, then thats what you like. Theres no official movie of the year. Its all preference. MS can build all they want, but if its not interesting, then what do I care?

That's literally not... By the token that it's only what you care about, then every fan in each fanbase simply picks their own because that's what they like to play.  That makes the question "who won E3" inherently flawed because people will simply pick their own system of choice.  This becomes simply a matter of numbers wherever you ask it: if a forum or site is primarily Sony fans, and you ask who won E3, guess who wins?  This is why the logic there is inherently flawed and why I can never succeed in gaming: I keep myself fiercely neutral to a fault.  Whoever has a great game has a great game, whoever has the most powerful console has the most powerful console, whoever has the most exclusives has the most exclusives.  Good is good, bad is bad.

In this case, Xbox presented far stronger than Nintendo.  And if you've seen my channel or know me, you'd know I love Nintendo... There is a bias in me that I have to suppress whenever I talk videogames because my bias is towards Nintendo (just look at the Displates I have on display!).  I often have to take a deep breath and check myself because I love Metroid and Zelda so much, so I knock some sense into myself and looked at Dread compared to what's out there (even in terms of 2D games), and it targeting 60fps makes its graphics suffer with poor textures, poor lighting, low poly models, and surprisingly still framerate dips.  I'm still going to buy it, but I'm subjective that those graphics are mobile game level, ESPECIALLY in light of a game like Monster Hunter Rise where you have four hunters, four buddies, and fighting Teostra with alpha effects popping off everywhere in a full 3D environment during online play.  Capcom rose the bar, and Dread targeting 60fps and doing it poorly will no simply be washed away because I love Metroid.

JSG87 said:

I think my statement wasn't clear when I said "a lot of people".  I meant that in general globally, lol

Though, saying Nintendo delivered on what fans want and completely ignoring how much hype there was around a Switch Pro... ... lmao

EDIT: You'll notice I didn't say they SAY they hate Xbox (though, I HAVE actually seen a few of those), but I've seen enough comments and tweets (again, globally, stuff that shows up in chats or on my feeds) that clearly pick Nintendo simply out of spite of Xbox.  And deep down, you probably know that's happening anyway lol

mjk45 said:

I mean, they did actually make that big thing, lol... Gotta give credit to MS for turning the criticism around so easily, they're even supposedly working on Craig plushies hahaha

Ok, now putting all bias aside, I think a show that shows a bunch of games, all with gameplay, all except for a few coming this year and some showing a return of long dead franchises beats a show that does show a few more games, especially exclusives, but only shows gameplay for a few of those and most are releasing next year or don't even have a release window.

Microsoft's showcase was fantastic and showed the value of Gamepass, but it was a showcase for the lineup for the next few years, not just this year and for many games the trailer was completely useless, since it didn't even give a basic idea of what the game is like.

Nintendo's show had less exclusives and games overall, but it was all except for BotW for this year. Almost all the games shown are out in a few months and all of them got gameplay so that you can immediately decide wether it's for you or not.

That makes Nintendo's show more worth my time than Microsoft's show. Therefore Nintendo wins.