By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Late to the party: Ori and the Will of the Wisps is incredible

Just finished playing through this one and just... wow. Blind Forest was good, but this is on a whole 'nother level.

From the gorgeous visuals, to the evocative music, to the poignant story, to the intense and wonderfully fluid platforming that feels amazing to execute, it's a tour de force in game design.

It improves over the first game in almost every way, especially combat, and while it's one of the toughest games I've ever beaten, it almost always felt fair; overcoming each thrillingly challenging sequence was deeply rewarding, and it culminated in a climax that had my heart racing like I'd run a mile.

I doff my cap to Moon Studios and to Microsoft for bringing this game to Switch, and for doing so without compromising the experience.

For me, it ranks among the best games on Switch, and one of the best platformers I've ever played.

Around the Network

I finished it last week

I like it, it's slightly superior to Blind Forest. But I feel I enjoyed the first game more 

I think I like novelty and innovation more than familiarity. When I played the first Ori and had the pleasure of doing all sort of acrobatics my thoughts was that I never wanted to play "stiff" platformers again

The second game don't bring many new aspects, except fighting. Unfortunately, the combat done nothing for me. Most of fighting skills are redundant, the level up system also felt empty and useless. And annoys me to pause and change which skills are set when you need a different abilities to cross some platforming sessions. And I really miss Sein. Boss fight is mostly uninspired, can't remember any memorable one. Story is also weaker than the first game

I give it a 9/10, because it's a great game, but besides slightly better designed maps I don't really get why people think it's such a step over the debut game 

Edit: Oh, there is one aspect where Will of wisps did unquestionably better: It has really good quests! 

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 13 June 2021

IcaroRibeiro said:

I give it a 9/10, because it's a great game, but besides slightly better designed maps I don't really get why people think it's such a step over the debut game 

Well, for me personally the main things that made it better than Blind Forest were the improved combat, pacing, world-building, variety, visuals, and save system.

curl-6 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Well, for me personally the main things that made it better than Blind Forest were the improved combat, pacing, world-building, variety, visuals, and save system.

The combat is still too secondary and boring for me. All of enemies are generic, predictable and can be deal with just the most basic meele skill you get early game and you can ignore pretty much everything else unless you need them to platforming

Indeed I remember using more combat skills in Blind Forest, which is crazy because the focus of that game was mostly only on platforming 

I don't remember any issues with pacing in Blind Forest either

I agree with visuals, but it was costly. The game is leggy on handheld mode, mostly unplayable in some sections and the game crashed about 6 times in an 18 hours playthrough, too much for my taste 

IcaroRibeiro said:
curl-6 said:

The combat is still too secondary and boring for me. All of enemies are generic, predictable and can be deal with just the most basic meele skill you get early game and you can ignore pretty much everything else unless you need them to platforming

Indeed I remember using more combat skills in Blind Forest, which is crazy because the focus of that game was mostly only on platforming 

I don't remember any issues with pacing in Blind Forest either

I agree with visuals, but it was costly. The game is leggy on handheld mode, mostly unplayable in some sections and the game crashed about 6 times in an 18 hours playthrough, too much for my taste 

Well, I for one found the various weapons useful and much more satisfying to use than Sein's zaps from the first game, and I found nothing wrong with the enemies. 

And it's not that Blind Forest had bad pacing, more just that Will of the Wisps moved more briskly and fluidly from one new ability or area to the next.

I did notice some occasional frame stutters, but nothing even close to unplayable, in fact I don't think it was ever actually impacted the gameplay for me.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

I don't really agree with anything else you've said about the game, personally I think it's a huge improvement over Blind Forest in every way. Was particularly saddened by your comment about uninspired bosses as WotW's final boss is probably my favorite boss fight in all of gaming. Also Mora was great. But this is one of my favorite ever games we're talking about, so, yeah.

Glad you loved it, curl. It really is incredible.

Cheers man, thanks for encouraging me to play it.

I thought Mora was great too, especially that classic touch of

Spoiler!
her turning out to not be evil after all despite spiders usually being stereotyped as villainous. I really liked leaving her alive and in peace after the fight. And yeah, the way the final boss fight takes flat out takes away all the ground at the end and makes you effectively play a platformer with no actual platforms, pinging off projectiles and using your airborne moves to stay alive and fight was just epic, it felt impossible at first but when I finally pulled it off, wow, what a rush.

curl-6 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

How is the save system different? 

JackHandy said:
curl-6 said:

Instead of expending energy to manually save, the sequel just has a good old fashioned autosave system that's so much less stressful and more convenient.

curl-6 said:
JackHandy said:

Instead of expending energy to manually save, the sequel just has a good old fashioned autosave system that's so much less stressful and more convenient.

How often is it? Did you ever find yourself getting screwed over because the game wasn't saving often enough? 

JackHandy said:
curl-6 said:

How often is it? Did you ever find yourself getting screwed over because the game wasn't saving often enough? 

No, the autosave was quite generous and never robbed me of a good chunk of progress, so I never had to worry about it. Big improvement over the first game where it was easy to forget to manually save and the energy cost limited how often you could.