By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Late to the party: Ori and the Will of the Wisps is incredible

curl-6 said:
JackHandy said:

How often is it? Did you ever find yourself getting screwed over because the game wasn't saving often enough? 

No, the autosave was quite generous and never robbed me of a good chunk of progress, so I never had to worry about it. Big improvement over the first game where it was easy to forget to manually save and the energy cost limited how often you could.

Thanks. I bought and beat the first game, so I was curious. I honestly had forgotten about the sequel until I saw your thread but now I think I'm going to give it a spin.

Around the Network
JackHandy said:
curl-6 said:

No, the autosave was quite generous and never robbed me of a good chunk of progress, so I never had to worry about it. Big improvement over the first game where it was easy to forget to manually save and the energy cost limited how often you could.

Thanks. I bought and beat the first game, so I was curious. I honestly had forgotten about the sequel until I saw your thread but now I think I'm going to give it a spin.

If you enjoyed the first game at all I highly recommend Will of the Wisps, it's better it basically every way.

curl-6 said:
JackHandy said:

If you enjoyed the first game at all I highly recommend Will of the Wisps, it's better it basically every way.

I loved the first game. Everything about it, really. So if this better than that, I'm in for a treat. I'll give you my impressions after digging into it four a few hours.

JackHandy said:
curl-6 said:

I loved the first game. Everything about it, really. So if this better than that, I'm in for a treat. I'll give you my impressions after digging into it four a few hours.

Awesome, hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :)

I was hesitant myself about getting the Ori games as I typically don't do well with difficult games, but I'm really glad I decided to take a chance on them. (Mzuzek also gave me a bit of a push haha)

curl-6 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I give it a 9/10, because it's a great game, but besides slightly better designed maps I don't really get why people think it's such a step over the debut game 

Well, for me personally the main things that made it better than Blind Forest were the improved combat, pacing, world-building, variety, visuals, and save system.

I liked the save system in the first game way more.

Apart from that I agree that Will of the Wisps is an improvement over it's predecessor.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 14 June 2021

Around the Network

It's a great game, but think I prefer the original one more. It's obvious the developers have been playing Hollow Knight and the heavy borrowing gets a bit jarring at some points.

Blind Forest was already good, but the change in combat alone made Will of the Wisps better for me. Im glad you enjoyed it, Its a must-play in my book. 

I totally agree, curl. It’s one of the best games I’ve ever played.

Blind Forest was great but Will of the Wisps is a masterpiece.

It’s a shame it suffered so many technical issues at launch.

haxxiy said:

It's a great game, but think I prefer the original one more. It's obvious the developers have been playing Hollow Knight and the heavy borrowing gets a bit jarring at some points.

I agree they had some inspiration, but Ori approach is slightly different

In Hollow Knight you have only one weapon: Your nail. Some offensive charms you get are focused in changing the ways you use your only weapon, meaning you never need to resort in changing it because it's more suited for some occasions. Your charms are not mandatory by any means, indeed you can beat the game without using any charm, while some of Ori active skills (the ones you equip) are required to cross some map sections such as lighting and bow. In Hollow Knight every mandatory ability like mantis claw, shade claw or Monarch wings are "part" of the Night, and you don't need to customize them

I like HK just slightly better in that regard, but only because I don't like to pause in the middle of a platforming section or even a fight to change my current set of skills because the current ones aren't suited for the section/fight, it makes HK always urgent and dynamic but it's such a microscopic annoyance that never really bothered me. What stands out in HK however is that game design kinda "force" you to strategize what set of charms are more suited to your current battle, this is solely because fighting in HK is much harder and punishing compared to Ori. Overall HK minions are much more annoying and varied, each map you discover a new set of insects with a different move/attack pattern, so you need a persistent "learning how to survive" that's what makes HK combat more engaging after all

On time, have you watched gameplay previews for silksong? Seems much more focused on acrobatic jumps compared to the first game. Hornet's needle movements also remember me a lot Ori's bash and grapple. I guess it's not only Ori's teams who are taking inspirations haha

I had just finished Blind Forest before Rise released.  Needless to say, I haven't played Wisps as of yet.  Blind Forest is perhaps one of the most beautiful and enjoyable games I've ever played.  It was definitely tough to a point of aggravation in a couple of the "escape from" encounters, yet once I made it through, the sense of accomplishment was immense.  If Wisps is as much of an improvement over the prior as you say, I might just have to put Rise down for a while.