By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox Series X/S and PS5 probably should've been delayed

Should the ninth generation consoles have been delayed?

No way 24 51.06%

Yes, delayed to March 2021 5 10.64%

Yes, delayed to June 2021 2 4.26%

Yes, delayed to September 2021 3 6.38%

Yes, delayed to November 2021 11 23.40%

Other 2 4.26%

Total:47

Crossgen games would have happened regardless of the release year tbh

Around the Network

I actually think they should have launched late 2019, and then they should have made every first party game released since then to be next gen exclusive. In most situations 6 years is the right amount of time between console iterations. Clearly there are a good amount of people ready for the next console iteration, since they are selling well in spite of a lack of Gen 9 exclusive titles. They waited too long to release Gen 9 systems.

You know you're in for an intellectual thunderdome when the OP starts with "I haven't actually played either of the consoles in question, but..."

As for the topic at hand, Yes to Xbox, no to Playstation. PS5 has had a phenomenal first year of exclusives and hype. Xbox has done well but we all know that it shoulda waited until Halo came out. Instead of fighting against PS5, it coulda waited until winter 2021 and had that season to itself instead of constantly being in Sony's shadow.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II, Rock Band 4

Pemalite said:

The Dual Sense is a refinement over already established designs, it builds upon the foundations and improves on what came before it.
You are *not* controlling or adding input to games in a new and fundamental way. It's a refinement of technology, not an innovative leap.

I do own a Nintendo Switch, Xbox Series X and a Playstation 5 and I so can compare them all in real time, I'm not just talking out my ass on what I have read online.

By that same extension, the Xbox Series X controller is even less of a refinement, for all intents and purposes it's identical to my Xbox One X controller, the only addition being a share button due to the loss of Kinects voice commands.

Nintendo Switch controllers are a refinement over what the Wii offered with a few new tricks and capabilities.

I think the real issue is... Console gamers love to "talk up" their platform of choice to be the second coming of Jesus, when it simply isn't the case.

Whether you agree with my opinion or not, its not just Sony fanboys talking up the Dualsense, and I didn't even make a definitive statement to begin with.

You cited the Kinect and the PS Move as more innovative controllers, when they fit your description of "a refinement over already established designs," unlike the Dualsense which actually adds adaptive triggers on top of refinements like haptic feedback. Also, wouldn't the WiiMote just be a refinement from the Nintendo Zapper, with added technology like Bluetooth & the Nunchuk? 

My argument for the Dualsense being the most innovative controller is the attempt to enhance your experience through sensory functions. With all the progress the industry has made with controllers, IMO, this is the ideal way to push controllers forward.

Considering that both consoles are still sold out everywhere, I am just glad that I was able to get my Series X now so I don't have to worry about it. Having gamepass gives me a much bigger library of recent games I have not played than upgrading my PS4 Pro would have, especially since every game I find note worthy is either delayed or cross gen anyway aside from Ratchet and Clank.  Having said that, the PS5 does have some smaller exclusives to play already alongside a really good looking remake.  So I don't think either Sony or MS are suffering from the release window.

In any case, delaying the consoles would have been pointless. It actually benefits Sony and MS as they can both sell based on new console hype, and then as hype dies down the new games drop to keep sales up. We already know Sony has a lot of good stuff coming, and now MS just knocked it out of the park at E3. From a business standpoint, I don't think the timing could have been better when it comes to maintaining momentum.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:

PS5 more so, complete rush job. They forgot to add a heat sink on half the ram, goes past 90c, good job Sony only gives 12 months warranty.

I didn't go into more detail in my original post because it was so long, but great point. The storage situation on PS5 was also unacceptable at launch and a sign of a rushed or tone-deaf launch. 

Xbox Series S/X launched with ways to store your Xbox Series games on an HDD, as well as expandable SSD storage (though it's crazy expensive). Sony didn't even give the HDD option to store PS5 games until recently.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:
Random_Matt said:

PS5 more so, complete rush job. They forgot to add a heat sink on half the ram, goes past 90c, good job Sony only gives 12 months warranty.

I didn't go into more detail in my original post because it was so long, but great point. The storage situation on PS5 was also unacceptable at launch and a sign of a rushed or tone-deaf launch. 

Xbox Series S/X launched with ways to store your Xbox Series games on an HDD, as well as expandable SSD storage (though it's crazy expensive). Sony didn't even give the HDD option to store PS5 games until recently.

No idea if it was fixed, but sleep mode screwed up the external.

PotentHerbs said:

Whether you agree with my opinion or not, its not just Sony fanboys talking up the Dualsense, and I didn't even make a definitive statement to begin with.

Everyone talks everything up. It's a gamer thing.

PotentHerbs said:

You cited the Kinect and the PS Move as more innovative controllers, when they fit your description of "a refinement over already established designs," unlike the Dualsense which actually adds adaptive triggers on top of refinements like haptic feedback. Also, wouldn't the WiiMote just be a refinement from the Nintendo Zapper, with added technology like Bluetooth & the Nunchuk? 

You are missing the point, they broke the mold and tried to be something different.

Kinect used an array of cameras and sensors (I.E. Infrared Depth) for hands-free controlling.

Move used lights and cameras for controlling. Which is very different from the Kinect.

And the Wii used an array of sensors like accelerators and gyroscopes to gauge movement. Nothing like the zapper.

The Nintendo Zapper however works by having an entire frame go black for a second, with all targets on the next frame as white, the zapper then works out the difference in light levels to ascertain if any targets are in the hit zone.

They are all different concepts for controlling your games.

Again... You keep mentioning haptic feedback, this isn't a new technology. The Switch has it. The Xbox One has it.
Adaptive triggers are great and I have already touched base on how awesome that is.

PotentHerbs said:

My argument for the Dualsense being the most innovative controller is the attempt to enhance your experience through sensory functions. With all the progress the industry has made with controllers, IMO, this is the ideal way to push controllers forward.

If immersion is your argument, especially relying on sensory functions... Then VR is leagues ahead.

Either way, the PS5 controller is just more of the same, with one single notable new trick.

My argument is that the Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 controllers are great, but they could have been even better given more time. - Why not add a small microphone for voice controls for example?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Wman1996 said:
Random_Matt said:

Ah yes, in this sense the PS5 should have been delayed.  It had a few minor exclusives to stand out, but the console itself seemed rather incomplete and rushed out.

I will say the Series X seemed MUCH more feature complete and despite lacking exclusives at launch, it actually felt like the console itself was ready to go.  The only real problem is working out the bugs with Quick Resume regarding some games.  But I guess that is an advantage to building off the existing OS and user interface instead of starting fresh, which I always felt was a good thing.  I will never understand those who harp on needing a new interface to feel "next gen".  Feels like fluff to me.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Economic crash + supply crash + development crash = perfect launch date?

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?