By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox Series X/S and PS5 probably should've been delayed

Should the ninth generation consoles have been delayed?

No way 24 51.06%

Yes, delayed to March 2021 5 10.64%

Yes, delayed to June 2021 2 4.26%

Yes, delayed to September 2021 3 6.38%

Yes, delayed to November 2021 11 23.40%

Other 2 4.26%

Total:47
sundin13 said:

I don't know much about the controller, but what exactly makes it so innovative?

Adaptive triggers + haptic feedback which adds immersion without a gimmick (IE. the touchpad of the Dualshock 4 or the WiiMote). Its not only the top selling accessory since the PS5 launch, but its praised by consumers, and various video game outlets as well. 

Edit: And its features are not being ignored by third party developers/publishers either.

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 13 June 2021

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

The adaptive triggers.
Otherwise it's a a refinement of every other controller that has come before it.

Definitely not as innovative as the Wii, Kinect, Move, NES, Original Dual Shock and so on.

Don't forget haptic feedback which is on another level compared to rumble/vibration. I wouldn't consider Kinect (similar to the PS Eye) a controller & the PS Move motion controls were not better than the WiiMote, & the WiiMote is one of the worst controllers I've used lol.

The Dualsense is quite innovative that even with the same "outline" as the Dualshock, it added more flexibility in terms of controls, as well as a layer of immersion. 

My question would be who benefits from them being delayed?

Personally, I don't think either system is worth it atm, so I will be delaying my purchase (even if I didn't have to). But there's enough demand to sell what they're putting out, and if people have a different opinion from me and think it's worth it, then it's their money.

The companies are benefitting and the consumers who can get one are benefitting. The people who can't get one may be frustrated, but even if they built up a warchest of consoles, those people wouldn't get them any sooner.

So, I don't really see who a delay would have benefited.

mutantsushi said:

No way. There isn't any lack of stock. They are moving more consoles than ever before. There is mismatch of supply and demand, but that just prevented them from doing even better, and was in large part due to COVID trend to online sales being more easily gamed by scammers, which doesn't even disturb real supply/demand in long term it just diverts it into scalping profits. Expecting Sony/MS to stockpile EVEN MORE consoles to have on hand before launch is absurd, they already had more than any other launch, that just wasn't a problem and they both have contracts putting them in good position VS every other customer of AMD amidst semiconductor draught. Otherwise COVID has been good for gaming and not a reason to delay anything. If anything a delay would mean launch happening after COVID lockdowns are over and people wanting to do stuff outside and socialize instead of gaming at home, which wouldn't be helpful for console launch. Sony's launch exclusives have been fine, and expecting more nextgen exclusives is again going against precedent where everybody knows to expect cross-gen for first several years, and even if there was a full year or more delay in launch that wouldn't change anything in that regard. Overall I feel the OP's post suffers flaw of just cherry picking whatever seems to gratify it's assumptions rather than actually trying to find tough counterpoints that argue otherwise. Doing so only increases the quality of engagement and increases your credibility, so why waste time in shallow meaningless bullshit?

While I  totally agree with your points regarding the subject, I feel you should refrain from comments like "shallow meaningless bullshit", especially since the OP simply posed a thread question based on his thoughts and asked for opinion, the use of derogatory language only serves to diminish the quality of engagement you seem to champion, and you effectively ended up undermining your own credibility, and detracted from what up to that point what a well thought out synopsis of the subject matter. also there wasn't even a reply from the OP that may have explained such a response.

I hope you don't take any of this personally, since I also have been guilty of resorting to the use of negative and derogatory language instead of constructive critical analysis.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 13 June 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Well my purchase has been delayed since no stock. If the launch would have been delayed, it would be the same most likely or even harder to get. They're not going to stockpile 20-30 million of the things before selling them. Plus you need all those beta testers to iron out the kinks and see what the most requested features are :)

Around the Network

In my opinion, they should have just released everything on the PS4 and XB1 and waited for a stronger supply before releasing the Gen 9 consoles. Since the X/S and PS5 are back compact, these titles would still have Gen 9 versions. I honestly don't see the point when almost everything is playable on Gen 8 systems, which is far from a bad thing. People are paying high prices for Gen 9 systems that aren't being push to their limits. We could have waited another year.

PS5 more so, complete rush job. They forgot to add a heat sink on half the ram, goes past 90c, good job Sony only gives 12 months warranty.

PotentHerbs said:

Don't forget haptic feedback which is on another level compared to rumble/vibration.

Haptic feedback isn't new. The Xbox One had it... It had tiny motors behind each trigger to add vibration and larger ones in the grip.
The PS5's is a refinement of that technology, rather than something innovative and new.

The impulse triggers are the big seller... And if you have experienced them, you know how cool it is... Having that "resistance" as you pull the triggers while your character draws a bow string is just downright awesome.

PotentHerbs said:

I wouldn't consider Kinect (similar to the PS Eye) a controller & the PS Move motion controls were not better than the WiiMote, & the WiiMote is one of the worst controllers I've used lol.

A video-game controller is an input device to be used with video games or other interactive media, typically to control a character or object. - So by it's very definition, Kinect and PS Eye -are- fundamentally controllers.

The Wii-motes "quality" isn't really up for question or debate, the question stems around controller innovation and the Wii was absolutely new and ground breaking at the time. THAT is innovation.

PotentHerbs said:

The Dualsense is quite innovative that even with the same "outline" as the Dualshock, it added more flexibility in terms of controls, as well as a layer of immersion. 

The Dual Sense is a refinement over already established designs, it builds upon the foundations and improves on what came before it.
You are *not* controlling or adding input to games in a new and fundamental way. It's a refinement of technology, not an innovative leap.

I do own a Nintendo Switch, Xbox Series X and a Playstation 5 and I so can compare them all in real time, I'm not just talking out my ass on what I have read online.

By that same extension, the Xbox Series X controller is even less of a refinement, for all intents and purposes it's identical to my Xbox One X controller, the only addition being a share button due to the loss of Kinects voice commands.

Nintendo Switch controllers are a refinement over what the Wii offered with a few new tricks and capabilities.

I think the real issue is... Console gamers love to "talk up" their platform of choice to be the second coming of Jesus, when it simply isn't the case.

Random_Matt said:

PS5 more so, complete rush job. They forgot to add a heat sink on half the ram, goes past 90c, good job Sony only gives 12 months warranty.

Micron tends to rate it's DRAM chips to 105'C. Still plenty of headroom, the cooler will ramp up significantly before it hits that temperature which will keep everything in check.
Ram typically doesn't need heatsinks if there is enough airflow, it's just a "thing" to look cool these days.

I ran the Playstation 5 through Australia's summer. If it can handle it here, it can handle it anywhere.

Although the Series X cooling is definitely more efficient, it is definitely quieter during 45'C ambients and tends to remove heat more effectively.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 14 June 2021

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
PotentHerbs said:

Don't forget haptic feedback which is on another level compared to rumble/vibration.

Haptic feedback isn't new. The Xbox One had it... It had tiny motors behind each trigger to add vibration and larger ones in the grip.
The PS5's is a refinement of that technology, rather than something innovative and new.

The impulse triggers are the big seller... And if you have experienced them, you know how cool it is... Having that "resistance" as you pull the triggers while your character draws a bow string is just downright awesome.

PotentHerbs said:

I wouldn't consider Kinect (similar to the PS Eye) a controller & the PS Move motion controls were not better than the WiiMote, & the WiiMote is one of the worst controllers I've used lol.

A video-game controller is an input device to be used with video games or other interactive media, typically to control a character or object. - So by it's very definition, Kinect and PS Eye -are- fundamentally controllers.

The Wii-motes "quality" isn't really up for question or debate, the question stems around controller innovation and the Wii was absolutely new and ground breaking at the time. THAT is innovation.

PotentHerbs said:

The Dual Sense is a refinement over already established designs, it builds upon the foundations and improves on what came before it.
You are *not* controlling or adding input to games in a new and fundamental way. It's a refinement of technology, not an innovative leap.

I do own a Nintendo Switch, Xbox Series X and a Playstation 5 and I so can compare them all in real time, I'm not just talking out my ass on what I have read online.

By that same extension, the Xbox Series X controller is even less of a refinement, for all intents and purposes it's identical to my Xbox One X controller, the only addition being a share button due to the loss of Kinects voice commands.

Nintendo Switch controllers are a refinement over what the Wii offered with a few new tricks and capabilities.

I think the real issue is... Console gamers love to "talk up" their platform of choice to be the second coming of Jesus, when it simply isn't the case.

Random_Matt said:

Micron tends to rate it's DRAM chips to 105'C. Still plenty of headroom, the cooler will ramp up significantly before it hits that temperature which will keep everything in check.
Ram typically doesn't need heatsinks if there is enough airflow, it's just a "thing" to look cool these days.

I ran the Playstation 5 through Australia's summer. If it can handle it here, it can handle it anywhere.

Although the Series X cooling is definitely more efficient, it is definitely quieter during 45'C ambients and tends to remove heat more effectively.

Let's not forget the upcoming loud fan patch upon using NVMe drives. Xbox is way better designed console, hope PS5 slim is better.

Random_Matt said:
Pemalite said:

PotentHerbs said:

Random_Matt said:

Let's not forget the upcoming loud fan patch upon using NVMe drives. Xbox is way better designed console, hope PS5 slim is better.

Hi guys this is getting away from the thread specially the dual sense arguement  

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot