By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - epic games wont ever make games for the wii

ToastyJaguar said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
ToastyJaguar said:
He used a simple analogy, reflecting his own views, not that of Epics.

And in response to your number 2. It is a step backwards when you create a game like Gears, and then make a Wii game.

That would be just making an HD game for the Wii. He did not say that. He said "We go forward, not back," which does imply that the Wii is a downgrade, which is false, since even if it was just as powerful as the 6th gen systems, it would mean staying still, not going back. So again, it's a lie.

Ok , but i read it differently. I got a Wii and a 360 and i totally understand what this dude is saying so i guess everyone hates me too then.

Just give sensible reasons why you agree. His reasons weren't sensible.

The Wii isn't what the prefer. Okay, but why lie that it's going backwards to develop for it? Technological challenges are still challenges, regardless of specs. 

The Wii may not be the platform for their games. Okay, but why lie that games on the Wii don't get played?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Not too smart of a comment, they could develop a casual game for about 1/4 of the cost of a PS360 game and make millions off of it.

This may come back and bite him, he is not looking at the expanded game market.

The Wii has brought millions of people into this gaming market, look at the big picture before you make bold statements like this.

Consoles LTD, end 2009, end 2010 - prediction

Wii -  68 million, 90 million - Wii HD in late 2011 - $249

360 - 38 million, 47 million - 720 in late 2010 - $299

PS3 - 31 million, 43 million - slim PS3 in mid 2009 - $299 

Actually, what surprises me most about this interview has nothing to do with the interviewee: while I personally find his attitude silly, he's more than entitled to say and do what he wants. If he thinks the Wii is beneath him, then its his loss (in more ways than one).

No, what disgusts me so much is the guy from IGN. I'm not sure if he's one of the glorified bloggers who claim to be a "journalist", but his rush to jump on the anti-Wii bandwagon is pretty disgraceful for someone who's theoretically supposed to be a neutral interviewer. We wouldn't tolerate that type of nonsense if a news reporter started mocking the opponents of whatever person or politician he was interviewing, and I don't think we should have to put up with it from a "professional" website. Let this Capps fellow continue his attempt to make graphics prettier, but for goodness sakes people in the press should be held to some minimal standard if they expect to be taken seriously.

dareware said:
Not too smart of a comment, they could develop a casual game for about 1/4 of the cost of a PS360 game and make millions off of it.

The Wii has brought millions of people into this gaming market, look at the big picture before you make bold statements like this.

They don't think they can and their right. The only winners for the Wii are Nintendo in terms of games that sell.

It will come back to bite him eventually. Epic's attitude towards gaming is a prime example of what is wrong with western developers today and why gaming is panned by the media. I completely disagree with him and his company's views on the industry and overall advancement as a whole. It's not just about being 'bigger and better' and being more technologically advanced. Too many companies fall for this and end up disappointing in the end. Isn't that what happened to the Halo series? It got too big (in terms of conflict scale) for its own good. Don't repeat this with Gears, please.

Epic still hasn't admitted that UT3 didn't sell as well as planned due to lack of any sort of innovation hence why it got annihilated in sales to CoD4 and TF2. It's the same as UT2004, only a stripped down and prettier version. Their answer is that PC gaming is turning into 'casual' based stuff, however they seem to forget that CoD4 and the Orange Box were one of the better selling titles last year. With their current standpoint I have doubt that Gears 2 will be disappointing.

Nintendo Network ID: Sherlock99

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
CaptainPrefrences said:
Wii cant handle unreal engine can it?

Not the new one.

Ofcourse Wii can handle Unreal Engine 3, power has nothing to do with it. I remember even hearing something about a dev company porting UE3 to the Wii for private use.

Epic probably just feels that porting UE3 to Wii is a waste since most of the improvements made over UE2 can be useful for the Wii, so companies should just stick to UE2. Pure speculation on my part.

I would agree with the "virus" statement, most people play the Wii for the first time in a group with friends, when it is actually fun, but playing single player isn't nearly as good as it is on the PS3 or 360, so a portion of Wii buyers end up not using their Wii very often.

ToastyJaguar said:
dareware said:

The Wii has brought millions of people into this gaming market, look at the big picture before you make bold statements like this.

They don't think they can and their right. The only winners for the Wii are Nintendo in terms of games that sell.

Million dollar 3rd part games on Wii:

Guitar Hero     2.28m
Resident Evil 4 1.73m
Rayman Raving Rabbids 1.31m
MySims          1.00m
Carnival Games  1.55m
Red Steel       1.05m
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 1.01m
With more too come.

Epic is going to lose out, if a game like Carnival Games can sell on Wii.

There is a huge market that they will miss out on.

Consoles LTD, end 2009, end 2010 - prediction

Wii -  68 million, 90 million - Wii HD in late 2011 - $249

360 - 38 million, 47 million - 720 in late 2010 - $299

PS3 - 31 million, 43 million - slim PS3 in mid 2009 - $299 

ToastyJaguar said:
dareware said:

I can't say I agree with this comment. EA has gone on record as saying they're quite pleased with their sales on the Wii, and they've actually allocated more support for the platform. Capcom has done quite well for itself, with all of its titles so far meeting (and often exceeding) their expectations. Sega is basically being saved by the Wii, etc. etc.

No, I think a lot of the other posters are correct. If Epic was willing to put forth a good engine for the Wii, they'd find plenty of developers who are interested. Shoot, Ubisoft tried to modify one of its engines for Red Steel, and another company is trying to "port" Unreal 3 over. They're doing this despite Epic's complete indifference to the platform. If they tried to feed the demand many developers have for an engine of Epic's caliber on the wii, I'd imagine they'd be raking in the dough. As it is, they're just leaving the door open for someone else to claim the platform with what will likely be the highest user base. Their call, I guess.

@dareware you forgot (Lego star wars) (resident evil UC) and also (sonic sr)

Nintendo Network ID: Sherlock99