Forums - Gaming Discussion - epic games wont ever make games for the wii

What games are people expecting Epic to bring to the Wii? Gears of War is impossible because of the hardware issue and so too is the new Unreal Tournament 3.

I don't see what people find so hard to understand about the company's choice. There is no money to be made for them on the Wii so why should they bother when they are profiting immensely from Gears of War. I've heard people complain about Epic making Unreal Tournament 3 and not concentrating on Gears 2 enough. What would happen if they created a Wii game.

For a cutting edge next-gen developer, the Wii is a step back in terms of what developers such as Epic are trying to achieve in their games. They can't go much further than what was achieved on the Gamecube, where on the 360 and PS3 they can go beyond what's already been done so you see their engine being used in games such as Mass Effect and Bioshock. These games will never be able to work on the Wii.

Around the Network

Hey, Viruses can make people lots of cash. Ask Walgreen's.

Predictions for 2009: (Right) (Wrong) (Partial)

Pokemon Gold/Silver DS Japan in September

NES colored Wii and SNES Classic Controler for Christmas

Super Role Bros for Christmas

FF Remakes announced; VII PS3 VIII 360 IX Wii

New Super Mario World November 2009

ToastyJaguar said:
What games are people expecting Epic to bring to the Wii? Gears of War is impossible because of the hardware issue and so too is the new Unreal Tournament 3.

I don't see what people find so hard to understand about the company's choice. There is no money to be made for them on the Wii so why should they bother when they are profiting immensely from Gears of War. I've heard people complain about Epic making Unreal Tournament 3 and not concentrating on Gears 2 enough. What would happen if they created a Wii game.

For a cutting edge next-gen developer, the Wii is a step back in terms of what developers such as Epic are trying to achieve in their games. They can't go much further than what was achieved on the Gamecube, where on the 360 and PS3 they can go beyond what's already been done so you see their engine being used in games such as Mass Effect and Bioshock. These games will never be able to work on the Wii.

1. Not that many of us are asking for them to make a game for the Wii. We just think his excuse sucks.

2. Wrong. The Wii is forward, just not AS forward. It would have to have LESS specs than the 6th gen to be a step backwards. That makes that line from him, and you agreeing with it, an outright lie. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Soriku said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Kyros said:
you can pretty much make the same game every single time with a new name and people will buy it.

Like Mario Kart 64, Mario Kart GC, Mario Kart Wii, Mario Kart DS, Mario Kart ......... That 's what you meant right?
I beat you to it

If more and more sequels/same thing (series)/whatever are what you mean, then I guess that applies to most other companies' games. See: Madden, FF, MGS. etc.

the problem with your statement is that the story or gameplay changes.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

He used a simple analogy, reflecting his own views, not that of Epics.

And in response to your number 2. It is a step backwards when you create a game like Gears, and then make a Wii game.

Around the Network
ToastyJaguar said:

And in response to your number 2. It is a step backwards when you create a game like Gears, and then make a Wii game.

That would be just making an HD game for the Wii. He did not say that. He said "We go forward, not back," which does imply that the Wii is a downgrade, which is false, since even if it was just as powerful as the 6th gen systems, it would mean staying still, not going back. So again, it's a lie.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

LordTheNightKnight said:
ToastyJaguar said:

That would be just making an HD game for the Wii. He did not say that. He said "We go forward, not back," which does imply that the Wii is a downgrade, which is false, since even if it was just as powerful as the 6th gen systems, it would mean staying still, not going back. So again, it's a lie.

Ok , but i read it differently. I got a Wii and a 360 and i totally understand what this dude is saying so i guess everyone hates me too then.

ToastyJaguar said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
ToastyJaguar said:

Ok , but i read it differently. I got a Wii and a 360 and i totally understand what this dude is saying so i guess everyone hates me too then.

Just give sensible reasons why you agree. His reasons weren't sensible.

The Wii isn't what the prefer. Okay, but why lie that it's going backwards to develop for it? Technological challenges are still challenges, regardless of specs. 

The Wii may not be the platform for their games. Okay, but why lie that games on the Wii don't get played?

Not too smart of a comment, they could develop a casual game for about 1/4 of the cost of a PS360 game and make millions off of it.

This may come back and bite him, he is not looking at the expanded game market.

The Wii has brought millions of people into this gaming market, look at the big picture before you make bold statements like this.

Consoles LTD, end 2009, end 2010 - prediction

Wii -  68 million, 90 million - Wii HD in late 2011 - $249

360 - 38 million, 47 million - 720 in late 2010 - $299

PS3 - 31 million, 43 million - slim PS3 in mid 2009 - $299 

Actually, what surprises me most about this interview has nothing to do with the interviewee: while I personally find his attitude silly, he's more than entitled to say and do what he wants. If he thinks the Wii is beneath him, then its his loss (in more ways than one).

No, what disgusts me so much is the guy from IGN. I'm not sure if he's one of the glorified bloggers who claim to be a "journalist", but his rush to jump on the anti-Wii bandwagon is pretty disgraceful for someone who's theoretically supposed to be a neutral interviewer. We wouldn't tolerate that type of nonsense if a news reporter started mocking the opponents of whatever person or politician he was interviewing, and I don't think we should have to put up with it from a "professional" website. Let this Capps fellow continue his attempt to make graphics prettier, but for goodness sakes people in the press should be held to some minimal standard if they expect to be taken seriously.