By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - epic games wont ever make games for the wii

Mummelmann said:
disolitude said:
BengaBenga said:
disolitude said:
BengaBenga said:
I won't comment on the usual fanboy stuff that's going on in this thread. I'll only say that if I were a shareholder of Epic, I'd have some serious discussion with the CEO.

The problem in this business is that a lot of people in the business can't seperate making money and their hobby. That's sad, but also kinda sweet.

Epic games is a privately owned company. Therefore there is no shareholders that can nag at him...

In that case I actually have respect for him. He just does what he likes without taking the easy way. Before I get all kinds of comments: I'm serious. If he doesn't want to make Wii games, while that's where the money is, he sees making games as a passion, and I like that.

Exactly why I thought when I read his statements... plus he has a sense of humour unlike most devs who are shamelessly promoting their games 100% of the time in interviews. I thought the virus comment is quite funny...

I don't see why wii fans see his comment as an insult...some nintendo dev called xbox live full of shit few weeks back without any reason why... that was an insult.

I remember in a place not far from here, when MS made a snarky remark on PS3 GTAIV install times and those who took offense were apparently stupid fanboys without a sense for humour, yet the situation is the exact same if someone critiques the Wii. (This has nothing to do with disolitude, just an observation!)

Just goes to show that indeed none of the groups in here are better than others and everyone has a sore spot for their console of choice.

OT: I could've been considered in bad taste what he said, but was anyone honestly surprised at this from a dev like Epic? I sure wasn't, knowing their track record, I expected as much from their part.

Yeah, Epic seems like a company that gets the do what they want, when they want at this point so no I am not surprised at his comments at all.

If Miyamoto said Xbox 360 is for drunk people with ADD I'd be surprised...but I'd still be laughing my ass off if that happened. :)

Around the Network
disolitude said:
BengaBenga said:
disolitude said:
BengaBenga said:
I won't comment on the usual fanboy stuff that's going on in this thread. I'll only say that if I were a shareholder of Epic, I'd have some serious discussion with the CEO.

The problem in this business is that a lot of people in the business can't seperate making money and their hobby. That's sad, but also kinda sweet.

Epic games is a privately owned company. Therefore there is no shareholders that can nag at him...

In that case I actually have respect for him. He just does what he likes without taking the easy way. Before I get all kinds of comments: I'm serious. If he doesn't want to make Wii games, while that's where the money is, he sees making games as a passion, and I like that.

Exactly why I thought when I read his statements... plus he has a sense of humour unlike most devs who are shamelessly promoting their games 100% of the time in interviews. I thought the virus comment is quite funny...

I don't see why wii fans see his comment as an insult...some nintendo dev called xbox live full of shit few weeks back without any reason why... that was an insult. 

No Nintendo developer said that. An anonymous wiiware developer did.

And Mark Rein has said these words about the Wii before. No one should be surprised, and we certainly don't need a thread about it every month he decides it's time to attack the Wii. Saying there's no money to be made for Epic on the Wii is one thing, but Mark Pain-in-the-Ass attacks the Wii every chance he gets. It's pretty obvious by what he said. I haven't heard that fanboy damage control since mid 2007, when people were still angry about the Wii selling like hotcakes and felt they had to do something by basically saying "Yeah, the Wii maybe selling millions...but nobody's playing it!! lololol!111"

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

He may have said it slightly in jest, but wii owners aren't the only people starting to get a slight dislike for this guy...ask PC gamers what they think about him.

misteromar mk4 said:
The guy is a tool, he can look forward to out of control development cost and low sales.

Dont really care much, they use shiny graphics to hide shallow gameplay. If they dont have shiny graphics, whats left? not much.
Strong words. Dont get me wrong I dont agree with Epic on this. However GOW was one of the most fun games I've played in the last 5 years. Their games are good. 

Wii cant handle unreal engine can it?

Around the Network

Well, the guy is obviously pissed that next-gen isn't going the way he wants. Wii is winning (for now), and PC gaming is showing all signs of stagnation, or even downfall. Plus, FPS genre is milked out, and the easiest way to innovate in are the technical aspects - graphics and physics.

I think it was a stupid move stating that they will never make a wii game and harsh talk about the wii. Some gamedev people already ate crow because of statements like those.

CaptainPrefrences said:

Not the new one.

CaptainPrefrences said:

It can handle unreal engine 2. 

Yes

CaptainPrefrences said:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/23/unreal-engine-3-coming-to-wii-but-not-by-epic/

Epic Vice President Mark Rein has said repeatedly that they will not port their popular Unreal Engine 3 to the Wii, but that isn't stopping others from doing the conversion for them. In an interview with Kikizo, Rein has stated that an unnamed licensee is bringing the engine to Nintendo's console.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

What I get from what he is saying is that as a very small tiny company, Epic doesn't have the resources to go beyond the niche market that they are in, ie, young male adult into FPS. It's not that bad of a market to be in, I suppose.
However, to say that you will always and only stay in that niche this whole generation cycle, might make you look like early 2006 Sony PR statements.

And rather than trashing the Wii, he should be trying to figure out how in the world did Nintendo get not only 100% of the American buyers in January and February+ to buy SSBB before they stopped playing the Wii, (about a million of them), but another 577,000 who don't even play the Wii anymore, STILL bought SSBB!! (For a total of 1,576,990 in the first week.) I guess it's a variation on the Sony premise that PS3s could be sold without games.

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.