By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why doesn't the Switch have the usual streaming apps?

Tagged games:

Two thoughts:

1) Wii U had a ton of apps, not just streaming but also things like Miiverse. Wii U failed and I think Nintendo's analysis of why it failed lead them to think a device more focused on just gaming would work better. The Switch selling as well as it has only supports their perspective on this, I assume.

2) Probably most, maybe even a super majority of people now have either smart tvs or use Chromecast sticks/fire sticks/Roku sticks. The software on Switch would mostly be redundant unless you are watching somewhere else, which many don't do (I can't see many Switch users whipping out the device to watch a show at a coffee shop).

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Probably because Nintendo realized that the idea to make people use their console more regularly by means of non-gaming apps eventually turns the console into a non-gaming machine, because it's hardly used for games anymore.

The more sensible approach is to release appealing games on a regular basis.

^ this.

Without a doubt, its just nintendo.
They dont see the value in letting their users, use their device, for entertainment, thats not gameing, or something they profit off of.

Darwinianevolution said:

Even after passing the 80m units, the Nintendo Switch still doesn't have streaming apps like Amazon Prime or Netflix, even though the WiiU (and even the Wii and the 3DS) had some of them. Why? They are seemingly everywhere nowadays, and it's weird to see such a popular hardware without them.

Almost every TV I've seen nowadays has those apps available through whatever OS the TV uses. Nintendo probably doesn't see any point in wasting money on licensing video apps that are probably already on so many other devices. They have Hulu and Youtube, and I guess Funimation, and that's it. I used Hulu on Switch a bit when I only had a "dumb" TV to play on, but both my living room TV and my bedroom TV have every major streaming app either loaded on the TV or available for download. I haven't used Hulu on my Switch in three years.

I also have a PS4, which I again stopped using as a streaming device once smart TVs became the standard. 

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 09 June 2021

Because the fans will excuse pretty much anything. Same reason Nintendo is late on a lot of features. The lack of in-game voice chat or a party system is another thing (not to go totally off-topic) but I recall fans saying Discord/skype was better.

ice said:

The lack of in-game voice chat or a party system is another thing

Except for the games that actually have that

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

Around the Network

To be fair it doesn't really need them.

It sucked when I first got a Switch since I still wanted Netflix and had to keep my PS4 plugged in solely for that, but then I got a new TV with pre-installed Netflix. When there's literally a Netflix button on my TV remote I simply don't need it on my console anymore.

SKMBlake said:
ice said:

The lack of in-game voice chat or a party system is another thing

Except for the games that actually have that

you're highlighting the issue, it should be a standard feature and party chat should be on the console.

Because it doesn't need them.

Nor does any other video game system. I have like ten devices that are better suited for the streaming apps already. I'd rather have my system clean.

S.Peelman said:

Because it doesn't need them.

Nor does any other video game system. I have like ten devices that are better suited for the streaming apps already. I'd rather have my system clean.

What about people who don't have 10 devices or a smart tv, these days you can customize your dashboard to make it as clean as you want it. Having an additional feature like these apps is not and never will be bad. I like my Switch but it really is lacking in basic features.

not needed I'd rather use my Roku for streaming anyway my consoles are used strictly for gaming