By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Dragon Quest 11 (Switch) sales enough?

Probably built with Switch in mind and release in both Switch and PS5 with enhanced graphics. I don't think they will miss PS5 given how they try to push Dragon Quest to western consumers.

Around the Network

When Dragon Quest XI was announced in 2015, it was announced for PS4, 3DS, and NX (Switch). This was a good year and a half before anyone knew what the Switch was and certainly LONG before anyone believed the Switch would do the numbers it's doing now. So they were clearly committed from the get-go. And last I heard, the best selling version of the game in Japan was the 3DS version.

If inferior hardware wasn't an issue for Square Enix back then, why would it be an issue now? Especially when the Switch is white-hot, selling far more and at higher rates than the 3DS or PS4 ever did, and blowing everything else out of the water?

A NS version is pretty much a certain thing at this point it is the best selling platform in Japan, remember it's not SE who set the rule for DQ but Horii himself as he retains sole control of the franchise.

Isnt Dragon Quest XI on switch over a million copies in Japan alone now? Thats all The Standard Version, Digital Version and now the Reduced Price version

我是广州人

According to Famitsu it sold 500K physical then the last release with better price sold 100k physical so that's 600k physical from Japan only

Around the Network
Kyuu said:

Worst case scenario is that it will skip the original Switch in favor of Switch Pro, that is if Nintendo intends to pull a "Game Boy Color" by dropping the original as a mandatory platform.

Edit: To me, a non Switch owner, this would be a best case scenario because it elevates the lowest common denominator.

Assuming there is a PC version of DQ12, they will probably show footage of the PC version in the trailers, while developing the game for other platforms including the original Switch model.  Or if the game is Switch only, then they'll show the "Pro" version in the trailers and still develop the game for the base model.  I mean, for the past few years PS4 game footage has often been either the Pro or PC version in various game trailers.

It's the best game on switch, shame it sold less than the likes of animal crossing and so on.

If it's not gonna be on the Switch, then it's because by the time the game is out the successor of the Switch is out, too, and the game would be releasing on that one instead.

But unless DQ XII would come out only in 2025 or later, I very much doubt that scenario.

Sold at least half a million on the Switch in Japan alone, despite being about two years old at that point. Not sure why they wouldn't make the next one for the Switch. They seem far less concerned about a system's power, and more concerned about install base. IX was a DS exclusive, and 11 was on both the 3DS and PS4.

Mar1217 said:

It was the best selling version of DQ in the West in series history so it goes to say why it'll keep going with the platform in mind.

I assume you mean the PS4 sku. That one sold the best in the West for the series and was the top seller globally as well. The Switch version that launched a year later didn't even chart in the top 20 of its launch month.

'Dragon Quest 11' Has the Biggest Launch In Series History (comicbook.com)