By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Dragon Quest 11 (Switch) sales enough?

I know the game has sold/shipped 6.5 million, but does anybody know if it was successful on Switch? I only ask because: I'm currently playing through 11 (my first DQ game - besides DW Monsters on GameBoy) and am just blown away so far. Do you think it was successful enough to have a version of 12 eventually ported to Switch?

I just worry Nintendo fans may miss out due to inferior hardware. I know 11 Switch sales doesn't necessarily mean 12 is guaranteed for Switch, but it does help.

1doesnotsimply

Around the Network
FarleyMcFirefly said:

I know the game has sold/shipped 6.5 million, but does anybody know if it was successful on Switch? I only ask because: I'm currently playing through 11 (my first DQ game - besides DW Monsters on GameBoy) and am just blown away so far. Do you think it was successful enough to have a version of 12 eventually ported to Switch?

I just worry Nintendo fans may miss out due to inferior hardware. I know 11 Switch sales doesn't necessarily mean 12 is guaranteed for Switch, but it does help.

I'm sure 11 sold at least a million on Switch. Regarding 12, it probably won't come out until at least 2022 (which is 5 years into Switch life). At that point, they might as well just make the Switch Pro version (if that is indeed real) or wait for the proper next Switch device and port it to that. March 2023 will be 6 years since Switch launch and if Nintendo sticks to the 6 year life cycle that will be Switch 2 launch window (which will be far more powerful than either Switch or Pro).

FarleyMcFirefly said:

The thing is DQ11 was already announced for the NX before the announcement of the Switch. So the game was meant to be on the console from scratch.

And since how the console is popular in Japan, it would be suicidal for Capcom EDIT: Square Enix to not release it for the switch, just look at the blockbuster sales of Monster Hunter Rise. I actually wonder the opposite, as I don't know whether the game would got ported over the other consoles.

Last edited by AJNShelton - on 04 June 2021

SKMBlake said:
FarleyMcFirefly said:

The thing is DQ11 was already announced for the NX before the announcement of the Switch. So the game was meant to be on the console from scratch.

And since how the console is popular in Japan, it would be suicidal for Capcom to not release it for the switch, just look at the blockbuster sales of Monster Hunter Rise. I actually wonder the opposite, as I don't know whether the game would got ported over the other consoles.

90% agree with you. The remaining 10% are because it's SquareEnix not Capcom.

SKMBlake said:
FarleyMcFirefly said:

And since how the console is popular in Japan, it would be suicidal for Capcom to not release it for the switch, just look at the blockbuster sales of Monster Hunter Rise. I actually wonder the opposite, as I don't know whether the game would got ported over the other consoles.

You mean Square Enix? Also, I agree. The success of the Switch really can't be ignored at this point. It's still a very hot commodity.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Around the Network
Rafie said:
SKMBlake said:

You mean Square Enix? Also, I agree. The success of the Switch really can't be ignored at this point. It's still a very hot commodity.

heavenmercenary01 said:
SKMBlake said:

90% agree with you. The remaining 10% are because it's SquareEnix not Capcom.

Yeah I meant Square Enix indeed. Come on, it's Friday.

Since the Switch is the direct replacement for the 3DS, it would make sense to also take that version into account, and it actually outperformed the PS4 version in Japan. Combining the Switch and 3DS versions I would imagine they make up more than half the total sales for the game.
Judging by the way they've been porting XI like madmen I expect them to put DQ XII on multiple platforms from the get go.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

RolStoppable said:

It's the wrong question to ask whether DQ XI was successful enough to lead to a port of DQ XII on Switch.

The only question of relevance is if Square-Enix is stupid enough to defy the market.

^Think like Rol

I wouldn't worry about DQXII not coming to Switch. Switch should be the platform SquareEnix focuses on for DQXII considering its install base and DQ popularity in Japan.

DQXI came out like two years late on Switch as a port, and considering that it has sold decently on Switch. We should 100% expect DQXII to release simultaneously on Switch and PS5, either making the game simultaneously for both, or possibly even making it for Switch and porting that to PS5. And DQ games don't use hyper-realistic graphics so there is no worry about it having a graphical level that Switch wouldn't be able to handle well.

And if DQXII comes out in 2023 that likely leaves 2-3 years left to sell on Switch before a successor system comes out.

I think its so early in development that one thing that may throw a spanner in the works is the Switch Pro. If it is a generation leap, allowing exclusives, then there is a chance Square will skip the base Switch and do a DQXII for Switch Pro/PS5 (late 2023) and Switch 2 whenever that arrives (2024 at the latest imo)