By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Dragon Quest 11 (Switch) sales enough?

Blood_Tears said:
Mar1217 said:

It was the best selling version of DQ in the West in series history so it goes to say why it'll keep going with the platform in mind.

I assume you mean the PS4 sku. That one sold the best in the West for the series and was the top seller globally as well. The Switch version that launched a year later didn't even chart in the top 20 of its launch month.

'Dragon Quest 11' Has the Biggest Launch In Series History (comicbook.com)

Pretty sure he meant all versions combined, not any specific sku.

Around the Network

I think when we consider just how much the relationship between Square Enix and Nintendo has improved over the past 5 years, I would be very surprised if DQ11 doesn't come to the Switch. Also, the DQ series isn't the graphical flagship the way that the mainline Final Fantasy series is for SE, as long as Toriyama remains involved the series will always have a more cell-shaded animated look which makes it a perfect fit for the Switch.

Mar1217 said:
Blood_Tears said:

I assume you mean the PS4 sku. That one sold the best in the West for the series and was the top seller globally as well. The Switch version that launched a year later didn't even chart in the top 20 of its launch month.

'Dragon Quest 11' Has the Biggest Launch In Series History (comicbook.com)

I mean, they're specifying both PS4 and Steam SKU's while only counting for dollar sales. Which I remind you the previous best seller DQIX was cheaper on the DS. When I discuss sales here, it is about copies sold. Finally, this only accounts for launch sales. 

+ I'm talking about individual sku's here. Sadly, I don't think SE will give us detailled numbers of the sort but I do think DQXI S on the Switch was the best selling version in the west out of them all.

It's certainly, and by leaps and bounds, the one with the best legs. The question is, were those enough to overcome the deficit endured from launching over a year late after the PS4 non-S version?

The PS4 non-S version sold at least 2M+ worldwide. The 3DS version also sold around 2M. With 6.5M total shipped + digital as announced by Square Enix late last month, this gives the Switch version about 2M maximum sales, and since the PS and PS4 also got the S version, proably even a bit less than 2M. So right now, it looks like the PS4 base version is still leading.

However, DQ XI has shipped 1M copies between March 2020 and May 2021, So the game is certainly still selling quite well for a Jrpg. So while the Switch version probably hasn't surpassed the PS4 base version yet, it should do so over the course of the year or next year at the very latest depending how big the gap truly is between the two. 

My guess is that it has something to do with Switch 2/newSwitch.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.