By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are your positive gaming hot takes?

TheTitaniumNub said:

Banjo Kazooie Nut N Bolts is actually really, really, good, on par with the originals. The writing is still hilarious and witty and the the graphics are pretty nice looking still for a game from 08. Nuts N Bolts is a lot of fun and gets way too much hate.

Bioshock 2 gets a lot of unnecessary hate, I'd go as far to say it's the best in the series and that Bioshock Infinite is the worst in the series and gets too much love.

Dark Souls 2 gets A LOT of unnecessary hate also, and it's a real shame, it's a very good Souls game with the 3 expansions being the best DLCs so far in the Souls franchise. Souls 2 is honestly one of my favorite games of all time honestly

Resident Evil 0 is also I think a very very good RE game that gets hated on a bit too much, the biggest complaint I always see is the inventory/swapping characters mechanic and I never had a problem with it personally. Billy and Rebecca are great characters, Capcom should do something with them again.

From a game play perspective Bioshock 2 stands above one and three. It has the most interesting map design and most fun game play. Very enjoyable game. Bioshock Infinite looks the best, but that's it. I played Bioshock 2 last and was pleasantly surprised how much better it was than 3.

Around the Network
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
hinch said:

FF13's combat system is one of the most fun and best battle systems in any Final Fantasy.

I was about to post about Final Fantasy XIII, since I'm playing it right now.

Lots of people complain about this game, and while I can understand what they mean, I'm having a lot of fun with it. The dungeons may be a bit boring, but I'm loving the plot, the cinematics, the characters...

It's already one of my favorite mainline FFs.

Enjoy. Yeah the game got a lot of flack upon release and a lot was unwarranted.

It felt like SE wanted more action orientated and streamlined FF and I guess people didn't like that, especially die-hard FF fans. Though, tbf it was a big departure of their older games and also that it was quite a bit more linear than games of old. Really, I didn't mind as the gameplay was there and story was decent. Plus the music is oh-so good in that game.

Motion controls (done right) are awesome and can greatly enhance the immersion and satisfaction of gameplay.

GoOnKid said:
d21lewis said:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the NES was a classic. People just didn't take the time to learn how deep of a game it was because it was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I loved that game, but I could never get past stage 4. Still loved it.

Was that the swimming and disarming bombs level?

Spindel said:
GoOnKid said:

I loved that game, but I could never get past stage 4. Still loved it.

No, that's stage 2, but that's also a pain in the butt. Stage 4 is a Foot Clan airport.

Around the Network
GoOnKid said:
Spindel said:

No, that's stage 2, but that's also a pain in the butt. Stage 4 is a Foot Clan airport.

Was it the insta-kill spiked walls that close in on you at the end of the level that did you in? For myself, the part that always resulted in a game over was the tight tunnel full of astronaut things and other enemies in the Technodrome.

Signature goes here!

Bugs can be fun sometimes. Especially divide by 0 bugs in racing games that send the cars flying.

One does not need to reinvent turn-based combat systems all the time, it's fine as it is since the 90's

PC gaming can be loads of fun even on low-end or outdated hardware.

Black & White 2 was the best Godgame ever

Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun is the pinnacle of the series and a truly great game - and the best story in the series.

Now let's go over to consoles, shall we?

The Wii U gamepad is a great device and allows for truly innovative concepts

The Gamecube was a great console that deserved much better sales

The Wii wasn't just a fad but a compelling gaming console

The Sega Master System was the best console of the 80's

Sega Saturn and Dreamcast deserved much better

In stealth games, stupid AI is better for enjoyment than more advanced AI. My favorite MGS game is the first one and part of the reason is how much fun you can have at the guards' expense. Yes a guard realizing a cardboard box shouldn't be appearing on his patrol route is more realistic but it's much more fun when he ignores it and gets beat up.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
GoOnKid said:

Was it the insta-kill spiked walls that close in on you at the end of the level that did you in? For myself, the part that always resulted in a game over was the tight tunnel full of astronaut things and other enemies in the Technodrome.

Yes, those damn spikey walls were a disaster. To make it worse there's a full pizza placed there but you can't reach it since the walls are closing too fast, so it's there just to taunt you. And yes, those astronauts are absolutely insane, I guess.

Another positive hot-take, though it's technically in response to negative hot-takes so it might come off as passive aggressive, that's not the intention  Korok seeds in Breath of the Wild are fine. I think they're actually fairly well thought-out. They don't have amazing puzzles or mechanics behind them, but that's not really the point. They're supposed to be things you find randomly in the environment to reward you for going that path in the world. A lot of people get weird about how "it's not fun to collect them so it's bad" or "the puzzles to get them aren't interesting". The first one just comes off strange to me, the point of the game isn't to collect all of them, and after a while the rewards are stacked so it isn't incentivized. It's to provide non-linear progression. The second one I get a bit more, but I also feel like putting really thought-out puzzles behind most of the korok seeds would break the pacing of them and exploration in general. There's many valid criticisms of Breath of the Wild. This ain't it. Ironically the much bigger problem is actually using your korok seeds to expand your inventory, I missed that guy for like 20-25 hours in my playthrough.Now what would be a much bigger problem is if there was an entire game built around collecting korok-seed-like objects scattered all over with no rhyme or reason. Good reason there's no game like that