By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's your favorite The Legend of Zelda game (home console entries)?

What's your favorite The Legend of Zelda game (home console entries)?

The Legend of Zelda 20 2.21%

The Adventure of Link 8 0.88%

A Link to the Past 105 11.58%

Ocarina of Time 199 21.94%

Majora's Mask 65 7.17%

The Wind Waker 53 5.84%

Twilight Princess 77 8.49%

Skyward Sword 43 4.74%

Breath of the Wild 330 36.38%

Four Sword Adventures 7 0.77%

Total:907

Majoras Mask. That game went the farthest off the zelda formula. everytime i think back on zelda games I can pretty easily confuse dungeons and areas between games but majoras mask is so unique.

What I want from BotW2? I would love an enhanced combat. I found the first to simplistic. I know a lot of people dint like the motion controls on skyward sword but I believe it added a very good combat system. More strategic and a lot less button smashing.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

Haven't played any of them. *shrugs* My vote will go to whichever one has the best looking title/name.

My favorite 2D game is the original. My favorite 3D game is Ocarina of Time.

eva01beserk said:

Majoras Mask. That game went the farthest off the zelda formula. 

No argument about it going way off formula but Zelda 2 is no slouch. Anyone who played that game blindly after playing the first was definitely left scratching their heads. It's almost as if it's a completely different game; like Nintendo pulled another Doki Doki Panic or something.

It will probably always be a link to the past. Almost no filler whatsoever while having the most tight and satisfyingly balanced gameplay and bosses of the series. Series has done some different things here and there since, some welcomed, some not so welcomed but none of the other games are as tight.

Lube Me Up

Around the Network

1. Breath of the Wild
2. Twilight Princess
3. A Link to the Past
4. Wind Waker
5. Ocarina of Time
6. Skyward Sword
7. Zelda I
8. Majora's Mask
9. Zelda II
10. Four Swords Adventures

Tough question but here's my top 5:
1) Ocarina of Time
2) Breath of the Wild
3) A Link to the Past
4) Skyward Sword
5) Twilight Princess

1: Skyward Sword
2: Ocarina of Time
3: Wind Waker
4: Majoras Mask
5: Breath of the Wild
6: Twilight Princess

I started playing with ocarina of time and have at least started every Zelda game except multiplayer and the cdi ones. I love dungeons which is partially why Skyward sword is my favorite since all the areas outside dungeons still feel somewhat like a dungeon and they were a blast to explore (and reexplore). I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Breath of the Wild since I tend to not like open world games that much. So I have incredibly high hopes for Breath of the Wild 2 if they can keep what made the first one so great but maybe add some focused dungeon or other small things previous Zelda's have done well.

I love four of them equaly: Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, Skyward Sword, Breath of the Wild.

I didn't like the original NES game, I hated Zelda II, both ALttP and OoT were very "meh" to me and I can't enjoy Majora's Mask because of it's time trial nature.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Shiken said:

Ok for the sake of argument, I am voting based on traditional Zelda games. BotW is a game I absolutely love, one of my favorite games of all time. However I don't feel right putting it up against the others being so different (despite being inspired by Zelda 1).

So with that, A Link to the Past is the pinnacle of the traditional formula. It set the ground work for the traditional formula far more than Ocarina ever did, and is densely packed with content. My favorite 3D Zeldas from the traditional formula would have to be Twilight Princess or Majora's Mask. Right behind them is Skyward Sword (so yes I am excited to play that again on Switch).

While I have definitely seen some people say that Ocarina of Time "set the groundwork for future Zeldas", I think this is usually in relation to the 3D games in the series and 3D gaming as a whole. Ocarina of Time's biggest innovation after all was how eloquently it transitioned Zelda into 3D gaming, and the nuances and complexities of that were carried forward in every big 3D Zelda game after. So I think it's a little weird to gatekeep Ocarina of Time based on how much it did for Zelda when the point is moreso how it basically innovated an entire dimension of games (something I don't think anyone really claims ALTTP did) and arguably perfected the formula. Ocarina of Time even made the series a lot more puzzle focused, I mean really the puzzles in A Link to the Past are super basic, and that's like an entire third of what Zelda is known for nowadays (though honestly, looking back on it, you could kind of see Link's Awakening as the title which made the "traditional" formula more puzzle oriented?).  

Not saying I disagree that A Link to the Past is better, and you do also mention that it's the pinnacle of the traditional formula which is a statement about quality. But I find some of the implications of which game does more to establish Zelda a little awkward, partially given just how much new OoT did for the industry, but also because in a series of so many good games I don't think that particularly matters. Just my opinion though, I can see how if you were there at the time it would settle things a little bit more in your mind. 

As far as 3D Zeldas go, yes Ocarina did set the bar with how they operate.  I was more referring to the overall plot and dungeon progression, along with the puzzles.  If we are talking strictly 3D Zelda, then I agree Ocarina laid the groundwork entirely in that regard.  Even BotW's combat is built off of what OoT started.

I just like to take jabs at OoT from time to time simply because compared to the rest of the series, I do not consider it "god tier" as a game like so many people do.  To me, it is more of a "mid tier" Zelda game.  I still really like it a lot as it is a very good game, and it holds a ton of nostalgia for me.  I just don't think it stacks up to later Zelda games as well as some would like to believe once that nostalgia is removed however (which should be expected, as future games simply fine tuned and improved what OoT started).

Last edited by Shiken - on 01 June 2021

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261