By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's your favorite The Legend of Zelda game (home console entries)?

What's your favorite The Legend of Zelda game (home console entries)?

The Legend of Zelda 20 2.21%

The Adventure of Link 8 0.88%

A Link to the Past 105 11.58%

Ocarina of Time 199 21.94%

Majora's Mask 65 7.17%

The Wind Waker 53 5.84%

Twilight Princess 77 8.49%

Skyward Sword 43 4.74%

Breath of the Wild 330 36.38%

Four Sword Adventures 7 0.77%

Total:907

Breath of the Wild
Ocarina of Time
Wind Waker

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:

As odd as it may sounds to many, but my favorite is still Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

I love the RPG aspects of the game, and the duels with the knights (which incidentally made me hate A link to the Past for a long time as the knights are total wimps there compared to Zelda II). The difficulty didn't throw me off (For reference, I played Wizardry before, the inspiration for the Etrian Odyssey series), just the translation made it sometimes very hard to find stuff in the towns (or town themselves, hello new Kasuto!).

I probably rank BotW as second and the original Zelda as third

Not odd at all. I seriously don’t understand how in the world anyone would  find it odd. Zelda 2 is freaking awesome.

I am yet to experience an action RPG with a better crafted level system. It’s so simple and so balanced. The abilities and Magic are cool. The enemies and boss fights (the best in the series) are awesome. The palaces are intimidating, challenging and fun. Music is great. The game has got a great sense o wonder and discovery. I could go on and on. Zelda 2 is a classic. 

This myth of Zelda 2 being a black sheep or whatever needs to die. 

Valdney said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

As odd as it may sounds to many, but my favorite is still Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

I love the RPG aspects of the game, and the duels with the knights (which incidentally made me hate A link to the Past for a long time as the knights are total wimps there compared to Zelda II). The difficulty didn't throw me off (For reference, I played Wizardry before, the inspiration for the Etrian Odyssey series), just the translation made it sometimes very hard to find stuff in the towns (or town themselves, hello new Kasuto!).

Not odd at all. I seriously don’t understand how in the world anyone would  find it odd. Zelda 2 is freaking awesome.

I am yet to experience an action RPG with a better crafted level system. It’s so simple and so balanced. The abilities and Magic are cool. The enemies and boss fights (the best in the series) are awesome. The palaces are intimidating, challenging and fun. Music is great. The game has got a great sense o wonder and discovery. I could go on and on. Zelda 2 is a classic. 

I also like Zelda 2, but it is different. The majority of people don't like different. Familiarity is comforting and changes make people uneasy.

mZuzek said:
Valdney said:

I am yet to experience an action RPG with a better crafted level system. It’s so simple and so balanced. The abilities and Magic are cool. The enemies and boss fights (the best in the series) are awesome. The palaces are intimidating, challenging and fun. Music is great. The game has got a great sense of wonder and discovery. I could go on and on. Zelda 2 is a classic. 

Everything you said is so disagreeable

Good!
Pretty much anything anybody says is disagreeable. Go on ahead and elaborate on your disagreement.
I for one disagree with you on SS but, because of your constant praise of the game I think I will give it a second chance. 

Bofferbrauer2 said:

This post warms my heart. I ranked Zelda II near the bottom of my list, to be sure, but I will also say that Zelda's floor is several flights above the ceilings of all but a select few franchises in my book. 

Although I missed the overhead view of the original, I loved exploring the huge world of Zelda II. That game was balls to the wall tough, but it was incredibly atmospheric. Every new power-up made me eager to see what the next section of the world looked like. The Kasuto/New Kasuto segment of the story was legitimately haunting for an 8-bit game. And the combat was really good; we wouldn't see the like of it again in a Zelda game until Ocarina of Time.

Part of the reason why I enjoyed Breath of the Wild so much was that it captured the essence of what I loved about both Zelda I and Zelda II.

Around the Network

1. Breath of the Wild - one of my favourite games ever
2. Link to the Past - another of my favourite games ever
3. Link Between Worlds - a good semi-remake, but the dungeons weren’t as fun as they dragged a bit.
4. Ocarina of Time - Used to like it a lot more, but found the dungeons dragged on a lot after the first half of the game
5. Majora’s Mask - Also used to like this one more, and also I hate every dungeon in the game. Love the town and the schedule stuff.
6. Original Zelda and Adventure of Link - I find the controls a little wonky, but generally enjoy playing these games; I love the concepts of them a lot more than I like playing, I though :P But luckily Save State features make it a lot less painful in 2021.

The rest except Twilight Princess. Not going to dignify these games with ranks. The handheld Zeldas were mostly underwhelming to me, and therefore not particularly relevant. The 3D Zeldas, while more impressive were less fun because of the annoying “find the key in this giant area” gameplay, which is not fun to me at all - much worse when I’m scraping through 27 rooms just so I can continue on with the game.

Last Place. Twilight Princess. For me, this game needed to be good after the disappointment I had with Celda. I had hope because the trailers showed a very interesting looking premise... but the game felt nothing like the trailer. TP killed the franchise for me, going from my #1 favourite to not even in my top 25. Twilight Princess possessed all of my complaints of 3D Zelda, plus a drab art style, and the “Collect 35 Moon Tears to enter the dungeon and continue your game” crap is the my most hated thing in Zelda, ever. I regret wasting time playing this game to this very day. TP is a good acronym for it, for me, this is the ass-wipe of the franchise.

Wow, that’s a lot of hate :D

I’m mostly being dramatic for effect, I don’t hate anything this much :D

Nintendo should have listened to the complaints about the OOT Water Temple not being fun, not made it the basis of future dungeon design until finally getting their heads out of their asses with Breath of the Wild and creating something truly brilliant. Open world is obvious for the Zelda and Metroid franchises. it’s what I’ve wanted ever since I heard about Ocarina of Time, it just took them 20 years to get there.

All in all, while two of the Zeldas are among my favourite games ever, some of them I straight up loath. I even feel like I’m overrating Ocarina of Time as it’s a game I have no interest in ever playing again... at least not past the Forest Temple, as I do like the opening portions of the game, but the latter half I find to be mostly boring - bosses are entertaining, but they’re WAY too easy.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 04 June 2021

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Zelda 2 is the only game in the series which I've played that I had 0 fun with.  That tiny knife they tried to pass off as a sword killed whatever enjoyment the game potentially could have had.  In a game where the combat mechanics are so integral to the experience, having bad, tedious combat was a death sentence even before the other problems like the way it puts you back at the start when you die.

mZuzek said:
Valdney said:

I am yet to experience an action RPG with a better crafted level system. It’s so simple and so balanced. The abilities and Magic are cool. The enemies and boss fights (the best in the series) are awesome. The palaces are intimidating, challenging and fun. Music is great. The game has got a great sense of wonder and discovery. I could go on and on. Zelda 2 is a classic. 

Everything you said is so disagreeable

The music in Zelda 2 is great though.

1. Majora's Mask - First game I ever played where it felt like the world was alive.  The repeating 3 day structure allowed them to do some great stuff with the NPCs in this game.
2. Ocarina of Time - Blew my mind.  Stepping out onto Hyrule Field for the first time was incredible.  It doesn't have the same punch now as when it was new, but still a fantastic game.
3. Skyward Sword - This game was everything I wanted out of Twilight Princess.  Loved the motion controls.  Best combat of the franchise.
4. Twilight Princess - Great game, very solid.
5. Wind Waker - Least favorite of the 3D Zeldas.  Still a pretty great game, A- for me.  The exploration on this one was just too weak for my tastes.  The game needed more islands like Outset, Windfall, Dragon Roost, or Forest Haven.
6. The Legend of Zelda - I'm 35, but NES games have not aged great.  It is an amazing game for its day, but its day is past.
7. The Adventure of Link - Again, this has aged poorly, and it was never as good as the original to begin with.  Could never really get into this one.

That leaves out a few games.  I never played Four Sword Adventures, and am likely never going to.  I haven't played Breath of the Wild yet.  I have a Wii U, but I am waiting until I finally pick up a Switch to play it.

Finally, that leaves A Link to the Past.  Fantastic game.  Easily the best 2D home console Zelda game.  I have such a hard time ranking it against the 3D games though.  It is just so different an experience to me.  I would definitely put it above Wind Waker.  I think below Majora's Mask.  Probably below Ocarina of Time as well.  But I could easily see it as 3rd, 4th, or 5th, so I don't know where to put it.  Somewhere in there.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Those are my top 3 Zelda games as well.  I put the original as #1 and Zelda 2 as #3, but all three games are awesome and most definitely the top 3.