By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 19, 2021 - (May 3 - May 9)

theDX said:

RE8 sell-through is 40-60%. Best case scenario that leaves 74,114 PS4 and 25,809 PS5 copies on shelves. 249,807 copies shipped to retailers in total. So much for 150k digital lol.

Is it weird that the worst-case 40% self through scenario implies physical shipments alone to be 375k? I guess Japan being 10% of 3million shipments could be a strongly rounded down figure.

Around the Network

300k shipped includes digital, physical copies, and yes, download cards. However, download cards generally make up a small percentage of retail sales, and only in extreme sell outs download cards make up a larger than normal share. Since RE8 sold through 40-60% of its shipment, the first part of the previous statement applies.

deerox said:
Otter said:

This would match the global figure of 50% digital.

But the numbers from Capcom was for the first four days while the numbers from Famitsu only accounted for one day (the game released on May 8 in Japan).

David was operating on a 99% sell-through basis, so we can ignore his statement altogether since it appears to be much lower. 

PDiddy said:

300k shipped includes digital, physical copies, and yes, download cards. However, download cards generally make up a small percentage of retail sales, and only in extreme sell outs download cards make up a larger than normal share. Since RE8 sold through 40-60% of its shipment, the first part of the previous statement applies.

So download cards aren't considered as a digital sale in this data? Because you can't "ship" a digital game that you can buy on PSN. 

Otter said:

David was operating on a 99% sell-through basis, so we can ignore his statement altogether since it appears to be much lower. 

Maybe he mixed up shipped/sold and used Capcom's official data of 50% digital sales to extrapolate Japan sales? Because unless these retailers have info directly from PSN, I don't know how you can ship a digital game with physical copies, unless its a download card. 

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
tbone51 said:

You finally got proof that digital is not high. 150k retail with 40-60% sell thru means of a total shipment of 250k minimum. So at most digital is 50k. At MOST.

Famitsu tracks download codes, which is similar to voucher cards, yeah? 

Goalpost is insane, you get proof and you find a way to dismiss it. Non Nintendo fans these days smh

Regarding your other post, 300k comes from an official source (300k ship+digital) not famitsu

tbone51 said:

Goalpost is insane, you get proof and you find a way to dismiss it. Non Nintendo fans these days smh

Regarding your other post, 300k comes from an official source (300k ship+digital) not famitsu

Oh, my bad for disrupting the echo chamber, I'm just trying to figure out how you can include a digital game in physical shipments, unless its a download card. We know shipped is not sold & Capcom has officially stated 50% of sales are digital. 

Let's recap and correct me if I'm wrong: 

Capcom had a press release saying RE8 shipped more than 3m worldwide (https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e210511a.html )

David Gibson said is was 50% digital and 90% non-Japan. (twitter.com/gibbogame/status/1392343317057196035)

From that we get: Over 1.5m digital WW and 300K total (physical and digital) for Japan.

We got the information that RE8 sold 40%-60% (not sure where that information came from though), if it is true:

For 149.8k sold to be 40% of the initial shipment, that shipment would have to be 374.7k (which is impossible because of the 300K figure we got earlier)

For 149.8k sold to be 60% of the initial shipment, that shipment would have to be 249.8k.

If we go by that last number that leaves 50.2k copies sold digitally so roughly a 75% physical, 25% digital split. That would also leave about 100k copies at retailers.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 14 May 2021

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:

Let's recap and correct me if I'm wrong: 

Capcom had a press release saying RE8 shipped more than 3m worldwide (https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e210511a.html)

David Gibson said is was 50% digital and 90% non-Japan. (twitter.com/gibbogame/status/1392343317057196035)

From that we get: Over 1.5m digital WW and 300K total (physical and digital) for Japan.

We got the information that RE8 sold 40%-60% (not sure where that information came from though), if it is true:

For 149.8k sold to be 40% of the initial shipment, that shipment would have to be 374.7k (which is impossible because of the 300K figure we got earlier)

For 149.8k sold to be 60% of the initial shipment, that shipment would have to be 249.8k.

If we go by that last number that leaves 50.2k copies sold digitally so roughly a 75% physical, 25% digital split. That would also leave about 100k copies at retailers.

Does Capcom generally consider shipped and sold as the same thing?

theDX said:
Otter said:

Is it weird that the worst-case 40% self through scenario implies physical shipments alone to be 375k? I guess Japan being 10% of 3million shipments could be a strongly rounded down figure.

But If physical shipments are over 300k then digital is near 0. We might know if it's closer to 40% or 60% next week, since it's unlikely that the game was restocked.

Right, that's why the lower estimate rang is strange. In fact anything less than the highest 60% estimate paints a pitiful picture of digital which seems almost unrealistic. But that could just be Japan's preferences.