By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 19, 2021 - (May 3 - May 9)

All the Japanese pubs use the term "shipped" to equate "physical shipments + digital sell-through". Usually in their official wording its often stated as "shipped + digital sales" and small PR/tweets shorthand that to "shipped". It's not really ever done any other way (why would they care to PR physical shipments and exclude digital sales?).

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Let's recap and correct me if I'm wrong: 

Capcom had a press release saying RE8 shipped more than 3m worldwide (https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e210511a.html)

David Gibson said is was 50% digital and 90% non-Japan. (twitter.com/gibbogame/status/1392343317057196035)

From that we get: Over 1.5m digital WW and 300K total (physical and digital) for Japan.

We got the information that RE8 sold 40%-60% (not sure where that information came from though), if it is true:

For 149.8k sold to be 40% of the initial shipment, that shipment would have to be 374.7k (which is impossible because of the 300K figure we got earlier)

For 149.8k sold to be 60% of the initial shipment, that shipment would have to be 249.8k.

If we go by that last number that leaves 50.2k copies sold digitally so roughly a 75% physical, 25% digital split. That would also leave about 100k copies at retailers.

Does Capcom generally consider shipped and sold as the same thing?

To Capcom shipped is sold. Retailers can't send back copies after they've ordered them.

Signature goes here!

mk7sx said:

All the Japanese pubs use the term "shipped" to equate "physical shipments + digital sell-through". Usually in their official wording its often stated as "shipped + digital sales" and small PR/tweets shorthand that to "shipped". It's not really ever done any other way (why would they care to PR physical shipments and exclude digital sales?).

When Sony gives out sales numbers, they clarify it as sell through.

PotentHerbs said:
mk7sx said:

When Sony gives out sales numbers, they clarify it as sell through.

Yes, and they also give "shipped" numbers from time to time, and those numbers never exclude digital sales.

mk7sx said:

Yes, and they also give "shipped" numbers from time to time, and those numbers never exclude digital sales.

I don't remember the last time Sony actually gave shipping data aside from hardware. Every time they give an update on sales, they refer to it as "sell through," as we can see in the PR announcements for Spiderman, TLOU2, GoT, etc.

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
mk7sx said:

I don't remember the last time Sony actually gave shipping data aside from hardware. Every time they give an update on sales, they refer to it as "sell through," as we can see in the PR announcements for Spiderman, TLOU2, GoT, etc.

Yeah probably not for a specific title recently.  But they report aggregate shipped software every quarter and that includes digital version of games.

mk7sx said:

Yeah probably not for a specific title recently.  But they report aggregate shipped software every quarter and that includes digital version of games.

I don't think they do that either. They make note that reported software is sold.

PotentHerbs said:
mk7sx said:

I don't think they do that either. They make note that reported software is sold.

I'm not sure where this discussion is leading, is your theory that Capcom's reported 3m is only physical?

Signature goes here!

PotentHerbs said:
mk7sx said:

No.  They (and other pubs) recognize revenue on software sold to retailers (shipped/sold-in physical units + download cards), physical software sold directly from Sony's online store to consumers, and digital software sold via PSN directly to consumers.  They do not recognize revenue on retail sell-through to consumers, hence they would not present the data that way in their quarterly public financial releases.  That makes little sense.

theDX said:
noshten said:

Derby Stallion & Trials of Mana should relinquish their spots in the upcoming weeks as Fitness Boxing 2 & Rune Factory 5 enter the chart. This will allow Marvelous to start closing the gap to Square Enix who don't have any 150K Switch games lined up in the coming summer. While Imagineer should become the #10 publisher on the Switch once both Fitness Boxing & it's sequel are in the Top 30. 

The big take away compared to the PlayStation 4 Top 30 is the complete lack of Western third party games outside of Minecraft, Human Fall Flat and a Mario spin-off made by Ubisoft.

I have several questions lol

If a game from a new publisher sells 112,278 copies it'll knock Trials of Mana off the top 50. The gain to your top 50 total is just 1 copy. Your publisher top 10 shows a loss of 122,777 to Square Enix' publisher total and nothing else. That doesn't make sense? Or at least it's really difficult to see what happened. I think your totals should be independent from the top 50 so that when Trials of Mana drops out you don't subtract 122,777.

There's a lot of mid-tier third party games coming out for the Switch this summer, you'll have to swap around bigger and bigger sellers. I think now is a good time to make some changes.

It's a loss for Square Enix if a new publisher enters the Top 30. When Fitness Boxing 2 & Rune Factory 5 replace Trials of Mana at the Top 30 it would be logical outcome based on the efforts Square has put onto the Switch, compared to Marvelous & Imagineer. These companies are making gains while Square, Bandai will probably be fall further behind this year and having smaller companies eat into their share of the Top 30 result. Its normal for the Top 30 numbers to fluctuate overall while expanding the total of the Top 30, Konami has gone from around 500K sales to 3 million in under one year. Capcom will probably go from 350K to over 4 million end of year. 

Overtime Bandai for example has gone down from over 2 million sales in the Top 30 to under 1.85 million, it's logical if someone replaces you for you to have less representation. There is plenty of Bandai games outside of the Top 30 but I think the Top 30 does highlight how little support they've provided to the Switch, One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 & Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission, will both also exit the Top 30 at some point and will be replaced by the likes of SMT V, Shin-kun, Baseball Spirits, Monster Hunter Stories 2 etc.

Might make some changes end of summer and expand it into a Top 50, I do however to actually see 50 different third party games surpass 100K physical first on the Switch. 

Last edited by noshten - on 14 May 2021