By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 18, 2021 - (Apr 26 - May 2)

Otter said:
Kyuu said:

I can't make sense out of PS5's software situation and it's kind of bugging me out. Is everyone playing old PS4 games and that PS+ Collection on it or what? PS4's lineup at the time was also awful for Japan, but I don't remember their sales being anywhere near that low, even though weekly hardware sales were a lot worse.

- One would imagine PS5 has a much higher digital ratio compared to PS4 and digital sales aren't tracked by famitsu.
- PS4 had more frequent software entries because it benefitted from PSVita ports that would frequently chart for a week or 2.
- PS4 had 2 very strong releases in its first 2 months (Battlefield 4 and MSGV) that kept charting. Surprisingly Battlefield is one of the biggest 3rd party titles in Japan, far bigger than COD for example.
- PS4 was not BC and didn't have PlayStation collection so inherently should have a slightly higher software attachment ratio as people needed to buy PS4 games to enjoy their console. 

End year charts for PS4 in 2014 discounting Knack which was bundled:
1. MGSV (142k)
2.Yakuza, Ishin (137k)
3.Destiny ( 124k)
4.Battledfield 4 (118k)
5. Watchdogs (94k)

For comparison, I would wait to see how comparative software performs on PS5 this year: RE8, FFVII Integrade, next gen Battlefield, Tales of Arise etc. Of course PS5 matching PS4's sales would still result in smaller famistu numbers if a higher proportion of those sales are digital.

Its most likely the higher digital ratio, in line with the Sony financial reports for FY20, that some Nintendo fans in these threads can't accept. Either that, or the PS brand is inexplicably stronger in Japan despite the higher price point and lack of Japanese centric software, or the Dualsense is a system seller. Maybe its a combination of all of the above. I doubt BC is a huge difference maker at all though.

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
Otter said:

- One would imagine PS5 has a much higher digital ratio compared to PS4 and digital sales aren't tracked by famitsu.
- PS4 had more frequent software entries because it benefitted from PSVita ports that would frequently chart for a week or 2.
- PS4 had 2 very strong releases in its first 2 months (Battlefield 4 and MSGV) that kept charting. Surprisingly Battlefield is one of the biggest 3rd party titles in Japan, far bigger than COD for example.
- PS4 was not BC and didn't have PlayStation collection so inherently should have a slightly higher software attachment ratio as people needed to buy PS4 games to enjoy their console. 

1. MGSV (142k)
2.Yakuza, Ishin (137k)
3.Destiny ( 124k)
4.Battledfield 4 (118k)
5. Watchdogs (94k)

For comparison, I would wait to see how comparative software performs on PS5 this year: RE8, FFVII Integrade, next gen Battlefield, Tales of Arise etc. Of course PS5 matching PS4's sales would still result in smaller famistu numbers if a higher proportion of those sales are digital.

Its most likely the higher digital ratio, in line with the Sony financial reports for FY20, that some Nintendo fans in these threads can't accept. Either that, or the PS brand is inexplicably stronger in Japan despite the higher price point and lack of Japanese centric software, or the Dualsense is a system seller. Maybe its a combination of all of the above. I doubt BC is a huge difference maker at all though.

Astro's Playroom is in fact the PS5's best game so would make sense ;) 

PotentHerbs said:
Otter said:

1. MGSV (142k)
2.Yakuza, Ishin (137k)
3.Destiny ( 124k)
4.Battledfield 4 (118k)
5. Watchdogs (94k)

u need concrete numbers. The 80% counts DIGITAL ONLY GAMES. The digital prowess is a bad situation with the make-belief numbers. The comparative software sales is dreadfully with Ps4 on the par. Ps4 have digital strong to and way better performance and low hardware numbers. 

tbone51 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

10 weeks to go until 2020 sales get consistent again and the real battle between this and last year can begin. The main question until then will be: how big is 2021's headstart gonna be?

The real battle is 7mil vs 6mil now

yeah 6 million seems pretty much guaranteed at this point. 7 mil is gonna be tough though. But new model + pokemon + botw2 + no stock shortages could make it happen.

Agente42 said:

u need concrete numbers. The 80% counts DIGITAL ONLY GAMES. The digital prowess is a bad situation with the make-belief numbers. The comparative software sales is dreadfully with Ps4 on the par. Ps4 have digital strong to and way better performance and low hardware numbers. 

You think those digital only games are the best selling games on the Playstation platform? Because that's the only way digital only titles make a significant difference. Sony counts purchases not listings, so even if there are 100's of digital only games for every 1 physical/digital game on PSN, unless those games are the top selling games, it would represent a very little amount of that 80%. The monthly PSN charts confirms the best selling titles are AAA games for many regions.

You keep claiming make believe numbers when I'm citing Sony financial reports. PS4 didn't have strong digital purchases until halfway through its life cycle, whereas the PS5 is launching at a time where digital purchases make up the majority of sales, which again is reinforced by the financial report. Even a modest 60% digital split for Demon's Souls paints it in a much better light.  

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 11 May 2021

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
Agente42 said:

You think those digital only games are the best selling games on the Playstation platform? Because that's the only way digital only titles make a significant difference. Sony counts purchases not listings when accounting for physical/digital splits, so even if there are 100's of digital only games for every 1 physical/digital game on PSN, unless those games are the top selling games, it would represent a very little amount of that 80%. The monthly PSN charts confirms the best selling titles are AAA games for many regions.

You keep claiming make believe numbers when I'm citing Sony financial reports. PS4 didn't have strong digital purchases until halfway through its life cycle, whereas the PS5 is launching at a time where digital purchases make up the majority of sales, which again is reinforced by the financial report. Even a modest 60% digital split for Demon's Souls paints it in a much better light.  

There is a whole lot of digital only games. Nobody ever claimed that any singular digital only game was among the best selling games on Playstation. There are literally thousands of them and all of them are selling something. They all add up to being a big chunk of the total sold software on Playstation.

The fact it launched on golden week makes it hard to tell how many systems New Pokemon Snap moved.
I know the original was cult favourite with a big following here in the West but I'm not sure if the same applies in Japan.

Kakadu18 said:

There is a whole lot of digital only games. Nobody ever claimed that any singular digital only game was among the best selling games on Playstation. There are literally thousands of them and all of them are selling something. They all add up to being a big chunk of the total sold software on Playstation.

Big chunk is certainly overselling it. I would be surprised if any of those digital only releases, which includes PS Vita games and cheap indies, sell more than 10K lifetime, which might be too high a figure itself. You don't even see discussions for these digital only games on hardcore forums like VGChartz, ResetEra, or even various video game subreddits. Not to mention the top 10/20 represents the bulk of sales itself.

PotentHerbs said:
Otter said:

1. MGSV (142k)
2.Yakuza, Ishin (137k)
3.Destiny ( 124k)
4.Battledfield 4 (118k)
5. Watchdogs (94k)

Higher digital is one of the reasons, but BC and the PS Plus collection plays a huge role as well.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

PotentHerbs said:
Otter said:

1. MGSV (142k)
2.Yakuza, Ishin (137k)
3.Destiny ( 124k)
4.Battledfield 4 (118k)
5. Watchdogs (94k)

Another thing that people have a hard time accepting is that when a large chunk of the consoles are sitting on ebay with jacked up prices instead of being in the hands of consumers, there is no software being bought for those consoles despite the hardware itself being "sold".

Not the only factor, but it is one thay cannot be ignored.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261