By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Lifetime Sales Predictions

How well do you think PS5 will sell lifetime?

Under 50 million 2 1.38%

50-75 million 4 2.76%

75-100 million 24 16.55%

100-125 million 85 58.62%

125-150 million 29 20.00%

150+ million 1 0.69%

Total:145

Before the PS5 launched I thought it would sell less than the PS4, if not by much, like 105-110 million units, because of healthier competition, but now after it's launch I think it can outsell the PS4.

A huge launch on its own obviously doesn't say everything, the Switch had a way smaller launch for example, but demand being even way higher even though it already had the biggest launch ever I think it will definitely sell over 120 million units. How far it will go beyond that is uncertain. That's why I voted for 100-125 million even though it could sell over 130 million units.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

It might be early days in the lifespan of the PlayStation 5, especially with how hard it is to find one to purchase. But let's do some early predictions for how well you think Sony's latest console might sell in its lifetime. 

Here are the sales of the other PlayStation consoles:

• PS1 - 102.49 million
  • PS2 - 157.68 million
  • PS3 - 87.41 million
  • PS4 - 115.44 million and counting. (Likely to end up around 120m lifetime)

I think it will sell around PS4 numbers.

As for finding one to purchase, it's not difficult if you jump on eBay or Facebook Marketplace and do a search.

Nintendo with the Switch:

trunkswd said:
scottslater said:

I think it will sell around PS4 numbers.

As for finding one to purchase, it's not difficult if you jump on eBay or Facebook Marketplace and do a search.

I was thinking more of buying them at MSRP and not at inflated prices. 

Yeah, I think retailers are failing badly right now at this. I wonder if there is a real possibility that the scalping combined with parts shortages could hurt PS5 lifetime sales.

Makes one wonder if everyone that could afford one was able to buy one right now what PS5, Switch, PC and Xbox sales numbers would be right now.

Last edited by scottslater - on 05 May 2021

trunkswd said:
scottslater said:

Yeah, I think retailers are failing badly right now at this. I wonder if there is a real possibility that the scalping plus parts shortages could hurt PS5 lifetime sales.

There is only so much retailers can do to stop scalping. I wouldn't be surprised if there are people who go and buy one PS5 and turn around to sell it on eBay and other places. Retailers can stop scalpers from purchasing more than one PS5 at a time, but that is really it. 

Oh, it is for sure happening. I bet there is people even buying from resellers and then trying to resell it themselves at an even higher price point, lol.

Even then, scalpers can and will use other means to buying more than one at a time (friends and family for example).

I'll go with 110-130 million. Like the PS4 no big mistakes were made so unless they screw up big time later the vast majority of PS4 users should decide against switching to Xbox though with the Xbox Series X/S being much more appealing than the Xbox One was some market share will be lost but it shouldn't be a ton lost or anything like that so things will be at least somewhat more competitive this time around.

Around the Network
Norion said:

I'll go with 110-130 million. Like the PS4 no big mistakes were made so unless they screw up big time later the vast majority of PS4 users should decide against switching to Xbox though with the Xbox Series X/S being much more appealing than the Xbox One was some marketshare will be lost but it shouldn't be a ton lost or anything like that so things will be at least somewhat more competitive this time around.

I would agree with this if Microsoft appeared like it was more focused on competing on the console sales aspect. Microsoft is more focused on the Game Pass business model which is a much bigger focus on userbase across multiple platforms vs focusing on maximizing console sales.

trunkswd said:
scottslater said:

Oh, it is for sure happening. I bet there is people even buying from resellers and then trying to resell it themselves at an even higher price point, lol.

Even then, scalpers can and will use other means to buying more than one at a time (friends and family for example).

It is similar with PC parts. My PC is in dire need of upgrades, but the prices of new GPUs and CPUs are insane. 

I hope the shortages are fixed soon, so it is easier to buy a PS5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC parts. 

Shortage issues will be here for a long time. It's not just effecting the gaming industry either.

Has anyone done any discussion/research on the possibility that scalpers and shortages could hurt lifetime sales?

I also say PS4's numbers, so something like 119 million .

scottslater said:
Norion said:

I'll go with 110-130 million. Like the PS4 no big mistakes were made so unless they screw up big time later the vast majority of PS4 users should decide against switching to Xbox though with the Xbox Series X/S being much more appealing than the Xbox One was some marketshare will be lost but it shouldn't be a ton lost or anything like that so things will be at least somewhat more competitive this time around.

I would agree with this if Microsoft appeared like it was more focused on competing on the console sales aspect. Microsoft is more focused on the Game Pass business model which is a much bigger focus on userbase across multiple platforms vs focusing on maximizing console sales.

They're focusing enough on it still to do better than last time I think. Stuff like making sure their console is the more powerful one shows they do still wanna remain competitive in the console space though it is true they care less about console sales than they did in the past.

Well it really depends on whether we're looking at an ordinary 7 year lifecycle and how the transition from PS5 to the hypothetical PS6 will be. I think that a year down the line from now it will stop gaining ground compared to the PS4 launch aligned and that it might lose its lead in the long run. Then if it gets replaced after the usual 7 years I expect it to finish very close to the PS4.
Just for fun let's make a super specific prediction and say 118 mil.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat