By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The '70s in film

Jaicee said:
curl-6 said:

I knew I'd forgotten some, yeah I'd definitely add Thelma & Louise and Jurassic Park, awesome films.

The kaiju genre also saw something of a renaissance in the mid to late 1990s with the Heisei Gamera trilogy, three movies that did a lot to modernize the genre both in adopting computer generated effects and a more serious tone that lent less on cheese and felt more grounded.

My old pal Goji had an okay time the 90s; I did really enjoy the 1995 entry, Godzilla vs Destoroyah, it's one of my favourites of the whole series.

My favorite Godzilla movie from the '90s is definitely Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. (See what I mean about 1991 in particular just standing out as an especially good year for cinema?) That's actually like one of my top three favorite Godzilla movies. It's among the most controversial because of its nationalistic criticisms of the American role in World War 2 and its certain rejection of Japan's post-war "economic miracle", but you know, it's precisely for reasons like these that I love it! It stands out as very unique in the franchise. I just find its narrative direction refreshingly bold and interesting. A clever way of weaving time travel into Godzilla in a bid to compete with the Back to the Future franchise! The cast is too big, but the core story's too interesting to pass up. There are good reasons why this one's often considered a fan favorite. I'm one of those people.

Did you watch the 1990s Gamera trilogy?

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Honestly, I didn't even know that one existed before you shared!

I do, however, have the classic Gamera movies from 1965-80 on VHS. However, now that I Google, I see that there's a blu-ray box set available that includes "all 12" Gamera movies, which would be four more than I own on tape. Apparently there was also another Gamera movie released in 2006 too called Gamera the Brave. I'd like to get this box set, but the asking price I'm seeing right now is a staggering $794. Ouch! Way out of my price range.

Jaicee said:
curl-6 said:

Honestly, I didn't even know that one existed before you shared!

I do, however, have the classic Gamera movies from 1965-80 on VHS. However, now that I Google, I see that there's a blu-ray box set available that includes "all 12" Gamera movies, which would be four more than I own on tape. Apparently there was also another Gamera movie released in 2006 too called Gamera the Brave. I'd like to get this box set, but the asking price I'm seeing right now is a staggering $794. Ouch! Way out of my price range.

If you enjoy kaiju movies I would highly recommend the 1990s Gamera trilogy, I personally feel they stand as some of the finest films in the genre and did a lot to modernize it. I'm pretty sure you can get just those three in a Blu Ray box set. Gamera the Brave is okay too, but I wouldn't say it's a must-see.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 17 May 2021

I believe the 70's-80's-very early 90's era was the last great era as far as originality goes. After that, the ideas coming out of Hollywood began to dry up little by little to the point where now, you hardly ever see anything new and fresh. It's a shame really.

The 1970s is one of my favorite decades of film.

-Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
-The Godfather
-The Godfather Part II
-Tasi Driver
-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
-Rocky
-The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
-Star Wars

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

If you enjoy kaiju movies I would highly recommend the 1990s Gamera trilogy, I personally feel they stand as some of the finest films in the genre and did a lot to modernize it. I'm pretty sure you can get just those three in a Blu Ray box set. Gamera the Brave is okay too, but I wouldn't say it's a must-see.

Good news! I was able to find the 1990s Gamera trilogy (known as the Heisei trilogy) packaged separately on blu-ray for $51. That's a LOT more reasonable! Basically $17 per movie on blu-ray, which seems realistic to what you'd pay for a typical blu-ray movie, or maybe a little less. THAT I think I can make happen.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 17 May 2021

Jaicee said:
curl-6 said:

Good news! I was able to find the 1990s Gamera trilogy (known as the Heisei trilogy) packaged separately on blu-ray for $51. That's a LOT more reasonable! Basically $17 per movie on blu-ray, which seems realistic to what you'd pay for a typical blu-ray movie, or maybe a little less. THAT I think I can make happen.

Groovy, hope you enjoy them and I'd love to hear your thoughts on the trilogy as a fellow genre fan. :)

Well I grew up in a eastern European country in the 80s so all we had was 60s and 70s movies on black and white TVs lol and lucky to get some 80s stuff lol.

60s had the best war and western movies
70s the most memorable movies that lead into the 80s which also had some great movies.
80s also had a lot of c grade shit and slasher horrors lol.
Late 0s and 80s also had Terence Hill and Bud Spencer Movies lol, guess this was another European thing to watch a lot of.

Star Wars was the movie of that decade. That's all the input I have.

curl-6 said:
Jaicee said:

Groovy, hope you enjoy them and I'd love to hear your thoughts on the trilogy as a fellow genre fan. :)

Okay, update time: I rounded out my Gamera collection over the last month and, wow, definitely have to agree with you on the excellence of the Heisei trilogy! They were all great; especially Revenge of Iris! I can see how they were borrowing from Godzilla's contemporaneous direction a little bit, but there's so much more coherence and legit suspense-building to be found here than in the contemporaneous era of Godzilla movies that yeah, I can see why the Heisei trilogy is compared positively to them. I was surprised at how dark a direction they took, especially by Revenge of Iris. Just very satisfying. Thanks for the recommendation.