By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The '70s in film

I'm surprised no one has brought up Midnight Express yet its one of the best movies from the late 70s and the soundtrack is superb also.

Around the Network

I have to say, the 70s definitely had some good movies.

Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein, just awesome movies that hold up today, and yet nobody would dare to try to do it again.

A Clockwork Orange, another daring movie.

1970s era was also the time when many sexploitation and pink films were released. Which generally adds to variety.

Star Wars was okay too.

And although it isn't a 70s movie, it did play a lot during 1970. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

I have around 50 movies from the 70s.

Some favorites:
The Sting, Charley Varrick, Fantastic Planet (Le Planète Sauvage), Silver Streak, Chinatown, Alien, Annie Hall, Manhattan, Love and Death, Taxi Driver, The French Connection 1+2, Apocalypse Now, All the President‘s Men, Day for Night (La Nuit Américaine), 1900, The Front Page, The Godfather 1+2, Star Wars, Marathon Man, Shaft, Assault on Precinct 13.

A great blog about 70s movies is https://every70smovie.blogspot.com/

Last edited by okr - on 18 April 2021

Another movie I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned yet.

Jaicee said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah I've long felt Terror of Mechagodzilla gets an unfair amount of stick from the fanbase, I for one consider it one of the best films of the "Showa" (1954-1975) series of the franchise.

Another factor I've read about is that the 70s saw a decline in the Japanese film and cinema industries due to the rise of television, leading to lower budgets which explains why the production values were no longer competitive with Hollywood as they were in the 50s and 60s. They also added blood to the fights to compete with competing kaiju IP like Gamera, as kids love things they perceive to be "grown up".

But yeah, I too enjoyed the darker and deeper qualities of Hedorah and Terror of Mechagodzilla, though I also enjoyed Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla just as good light-hearted fun.

Yeah, the decline in film budgets owing to increasing competition from television was a pretty universal issue for movie-makers everywhere. In this country, it had something of a similar consequence in that movies generally got lower (relative) budgets in the 1970s. But what was going on more largely in society seemed to make a huge difference in the sort of thematic material that film-makers responded to this new challenge with. We had stuff like the Vietnam War going on. Japan was enjoying peace and prosperity, broadly speaking. Those different contexts I think just naturally yield demand for different sorts of content, whether its produced expensively or not.

TV was a huge source of competition for Japanese film-makers though for sure. I mean by the '70s Ultraman was more popular with Japanese kids than Godzilla (and that's NOT exactly because its material was better-written and directed ). Ultraman was sufficiently popular with the kids, in fact, that they even included an Ultraman-alike character (Jet Jaguar) in Godzilla vs. Megalon just to try and bring that audience on board with Godzilla. Ultraman was a TV show. That was really the difference.

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla is cute. Those toy towers that get magnetically pulled to Godzilla are adorable! Stuff like that makes me laugh. But the 20 minutes or so of monster content stand out a lot as way more fun to watch than the rest of movie to me. Still, the fight between Godzilla and King Caesar on the one side and Mechagodzilla on the other at the end by itself is worth watching the picture for, IMO, although I'd rather just watch that fight separately from the rest of the movie on YouTube really.

While I do like my Godzilla films to have depth, which is why my favourites include the likes of Shin Godzilla and the 2001 entry usually abbreviated to GMK, I'm also just a huge sucker for just the satisfying spectacle of big monsters rampaging, model cities getting smashed, and pyrotechnics going off all over the place, so I can forgive Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla for being about as deep as a puddle.

But yeah, the 70s were an troubled time for Goji and it showed in the highly variable quality of his films from that decade. Still, I like 3 out of 5, so it's not my least favourite era from him.

Around the Network

Heh, my taste in movies is pretty much the opposite of the OP's tastes.  I really think the 80's is the decade where cinema was at its peak, while the early to mid 70's was kind of a low point overall.  Here are some 70's movies I really like though: Star Wars, Superman, Jaws, Rocky, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Mad Max, Blazing Saddles, Grease.

Yeah it's probably my age (born in early 1989) but the 90s are my favourite decade of cinema; The Shawshank Redemption, Schindler's List, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown, Saving Private Ryan, Terminator 2, Se7en, Fight Club, Heavenly Creatures, The Blair Witch Project, Trainspotting, Princess Mononoke, Open Your Eyes, Silence of the Lambs, Dark City, The Crow, 12 Monkeys... 

I was born in 1972 and my favorite decade for movies is the 90s also. I like 70s music better then 70s movies. The 70s was also a low point when it comes to movie soundtracks.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Heh, my taste in movies is pretty much the opposite of the OP's tastes.  I really think the 80's is the decade where cinema was at its peak, while the early to mid 70's was kind of a low point overall.  Here are some 70's movies I really like though: Star Wars, Superman, Jaws, Rocky, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Mad Max, Blazing Saddles, Grease.

Grease? GREASE?! But how do you live??

curl-6 said:

Yeah it's probably my age (born in early 1989) but the 90s are my favourite decade of cinema; The Shawshank Redemption, Schindler's List, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown, Saving Private Ryan, Terminator 2, Se7en, Fight Club, Heavenly Creatures, The Blair Witch Project, Trainspotting, Princess Mononoke, Open Your Eyes, Silence of the Lambs, Dark City, The Crow, 12 Monkeys... 

I've not seen just all of those movies, tbh, but I have seen most of them and of those that I have, I've gotta agree that those are some excellent selections. The Silence of the Lambs, Terminator 2, Schindler's List, Pulp Fiction, Princess Mononoke, and The Blair Witch Project in particular are some of my '90s era favorites. Some others I'd add would be Ghost in the Shell, Bound, Thelma & Louise, Jurassic Park, The Truman Show, A League of Their Own, Titanic (yeah yeah, laugh, I think it's a sweet movie and can't help being a sucker for it), and Office Space. And maybe like Total Recall and The Matrix even. 1991 was an especially good year in film, IMO. Even Disney wasn't bad in the '90s for the most part.

I grew up mostly in the '90s and...you know, '90s nostalgia is in with today's teens. What we were analogously into back in the actual '90s was '70s nostalgia. Especially in the first half of the decade, there was a real premium on that kind of earnest vibe. Like the decade opened with this high-art show called Twin Peaks becoming a smash hit out of nowhere and that's how you knew that the superficial '80s were over and this was a different time. In film and culture more largely to a good extent, I'd draw a clear dividing line between the success of The Breakfast Club in 1985 and that of Clueless in 1995. The former marked the beginning of one era in the youth culture and the latter marked the end of it. That's what I would say.

Well anyway, to me the 1920s and '70s were the best eras in film overall while the like late '80s and more especially early '90s was the best era in modern music, and today, like the last decade or so, has been the best period in video games (although I'm weighting heavily in favor of independently-developed titles because their popularity is a new development, historically speaking, in this medium). Today is also the best period to date for animated programs and movies (especially Western ones), IMO.