By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies Discussion - The '70s in film

Star Wars was the movie of that decade. That's all the input I have.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Jaicee said:

Good news! I was able to find the 1990s Gamera trilogy (known as the Heisei trilogy) packaged separately on blu-ray for $51. That's a LOT more reasonable! Basically $17 per movie on blu-ray, which seems realistic to what you'd pay for a typical blu-ray movie, or maybe a little less. THAT I think I can make happen.

Groovy, hope you enjoy them and I'd love to hear your thoughts on the trilogy as a fellow genre fan. :)

Okay, update time: I rounded out my Gamera collection over the last month and, wow, definitely have to agree with you on the excellence of the Heisei trilogy! They were all great; especially Revenge of Iris! I can see how they were borrowing from Godzilla's contemporaneous direction a little bit, but there's so much more coherence and legit suspense-building to be found here than in the contemporaneous era of Godzilla movies that yeah, I can see why the Heisei trilogy is compared positively to them. I was surprised at how dark a direction they took, especially by Revenge of Iris. Just very satisfying. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jaicee said:
curl-6 said:

Groovy, hope you enjoy them and I'd love to hear your thoughts on the trilogy as a fellow genre fan. :)

Okay, update time: I rounded out my Gamera collection over the last month and, wow, definitely have to agree with you on the excellence of the Heisei trilogy! They were all great; especially Revenge of Iris! I can see how they were borrowing from Godzilla's contemporaneous direction a little bit, but there's so much more coherence and legit suspense-building to be found here than in the contemporaneous era of Godzilla movies that yeah, I can see why the Heisei trilogy is compared positively to them. I was surprised at how dark a direction they took, especially by Revenge of Iris. Just very satisfying. Thanks for the recommendation.

No worries, really glad you enjoyed them!

They're among my personal favourite kaiju films and I love the darker yet still fun approach they take to the genre. Revenge of Iris is one of my genre favourites, I just love its majestic, apocalyptic tone and how much passion and dedication shows through in every aspect of the production.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

I've just discovered another outstanding, very '70s film that I can't resist recommending. It's a horror movie called Carrie. Based on the Stephen King novel of the same name, the movie tells the story of 16-year-old Carrie White, a social outcast who's mom is a fanatical adherent to the teachings of the Christian purity movement (which is a real thing, incidentally). To characterize the kind of abuse this brings upon her, Carrie's mom teaches her that her first period, which she experienced in the school shower, was caused by sin and locks her in an altar-like "prayer closet" to beg for forgiveness for experiencing. This kind of extremely repressive upbringing has rendered Carrie the frequent victim of public humiliation and bullying at school, an especially cruel episode of which begins when she is set up to attend the prom with a handsome and popular boy.

Spoiler!
Without spoiling too many details that lend to the film its essence, as Carrie's self-confidence improves, she discovers that she has supernatural powers, which she ultimately uses to burn down her school, kill her tormentors, and crucify her mother after Margaret (her mom) literally stabs her in the back for being born. Finally, overwhelmed with remorse for having killed her violently abusive mother, she burns down her own home, killing herself in the process.

It's tough to capture the appeal of this film in words. It's very much the absence of slickness and stylization -- the down-to-Earth crudeness of everything about the presentation -- that makes this one of the most powerful horror movies I've ever seen. With a simple look, the protagonist legitimately terrifies you.

I'd heard of this movie before, but hadn't gotten around to checking it out until now. Really powerful stuff! It might just be my new favorite movie from 1976, displacing Taxi Driver (not sure yet) even! I can absolutely see why it has resonated with so many people and enjoyed a cult fandom ever since it first hit theaters.  Strongly recommended.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 04 July 2021

Since I recently beat Red Dead Revolver again I might as well post this here one of the last great tracks from a spaghetti Western, even though the movie that featured it wasn't that good since the genre peaked in the late 60s and then rapidly declined.  Just by the mere fact the 70s where the worst decade when it comes to movie soundtracks and songs I have to rate it below the two decades it was between the 60s and 80s.