By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumour: Naughty Dog Remaking TLOU1

kazuyamishima said:
JWeinCom said:

Getting to the point where they're remaking games every gen. Which, whatever. I guess if people are buying it.

Are the “rumours” confirmed??

Doesn't really matter. Three consoles gens in a row have gotten Shadow of the Colossus. Halo has been released on three successive generations. Devil May Cry 1-3 have been ported three gens in a row. More or less everything on the Wii U got ported to Switch. Kingdom Hearts 1/2 were on PS 2, 3, and 4. Resident Evil 4 is three gens straight. Mass Effect (although that blurs the cross gen lines), Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Final Fantasy X, Okami, Metal Gear  Ratchet and Clank and so on. Even pretty modest successes from the PS3/360 like Payday 2, Catherine, and DmC have gotten remakes on PS4.

PS5 already seems to be headed the same way. We have DMC 5, Mortal Kombat 11, Nioh, GTA V, Control, Avengers, Spider-man, Yakuza Like a Dragon, Rainbow Six Siege, and Binding of Isaac either already available or have been announced. That's a lot for a pretty young system, even if you take out games that released cross gen.

Whether this particular game is getting a rerelease doesn't change the overall picture much, but considering the way the industry is headed and the source, it seems likely. When we went from PS2/XBox to 360, I figured it was because systems were now HD. When we went to the PS3 to PS4 I figured it was because there was no backwards compatibility. But... we have backwards compatibility, and these games don't look all that dated and get upscaled fairly nicely, but here we are. Just what we do now, I guess.

And again, whatever. If people are buying and enjoying them, then I'm not going to tell them how to live their lives. I'm just angry Capcom can somehow remake fucking DmC but won't give me online enabled versions of Power Stone or Capcom vs SNK.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 10 April 2021

Around the Network
twintail said:
OTBWY said:

Are you kidding me? They were forced to do something else instead of doing what they wanted to do, which was making a sequel to a game that while had mixed reviews, was still profitable. And the fact that they had fear about getting absorbed into ND should say enough.

What you have is a pitch that clearly wasn't good enough. And judging from the article, they had no alternative plans. So what exactly should Sony do with a studio whose sole pitch wasn't viable, and who don't have a strong record to their names? Helping ND at least ensured they were in fact getting work and not just doing nothing until a new plan could be finalised. 

There's nothing about creative freedom remotely in this decision. If you have the misconception that Sony will just greenlight whatever a studio wants, than you have been looking at what Sony has been offering their teams all these years, incorrectly. Many years ago, an insider shared that Sony Bend had at least 2 other unsuccessful pitches: for Uncharted and Infamous. So clearly, this news is not anything new for how Sony handles new ideas from their studios.

Besides, the article clearly states that Sony Bend are not working on a brand new IP. How you can argue creative freedom issues after that is surprising. 

I love how you bend the narrative there. The fact of the matter is, is that they forced them to work on something that they didnt want to work on (you just gloss over the them saying they feared being absorbed into ND) as they would rather work on a sequel of a game they made. That to me is by definition a lack of creative freedom, no matter new IP (goalpost) or not.

I'm 100% down for a reboot / prequel. As long as its NOTHING like 2.

Wrong thread ignore.

Kyuu said:

A TLoU Remake would NOT be pointless. Even Shadow of the Colossus got remastered in gen 7 then remade in gen 8. Now hear me out:

1. The Remaster was in essence a PS3 game. Think what you want of TLoU, but a two generation gap more than justifies remaking a beloved and hugely successful game.
2. The Remake will coincide with the HBO series which also features Joel as the main character. I imagine they will make some narrative tweaks so as to fit the new series's direction, but I hope to god they're not planning to outkojima Hideo Kojima by replacing the character models with the new actors!
3. Introducing the game to PC gamers in the form of a remake (as opposed to a glorified PS3 game) should give it a very healthy sales boost.
4. Joel is love, Joel is life.

I'm not sure if I agree with most of your points here.

1. The game was released on the PS2 and PS3 and remastered for the PS4, there is no generation gap. SotC didn't have it either, but that at least had the excuse of the PS3 version not being playable on the PS4, whereas this has no such excuse.

2. There are going to be inevitable comparisons between the original game, the remake and the series, and considering the fanbase is still recovering from the effects of TLoU2's writing kerfuffle, I'm not sure if any change from the original will be taken as something positive.

3. Fair enough, but considering the game would sell gangbusters on PC anyway, it feels somewhat pointless. A straight port would've sufficed.

If the remake rumour is true, it's going to sell anyway due to the brand's name, but I don't think there's going to be any benefit from a remake, especially for PS5 users. At least PC users will have the excuse of the game not being available until now, but what's to stop PS5 fans from just dusting off their PS4 copies and playing it again?

Last edited by Darwinianevolution - on 10 April 2021

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

I bet all of you will be praising over this remake if it's demonstrated being played through the new PSVR2 and has ray-traced lighting and surround sound.

The dark side of capitalism.

BraLoD said:
Darwinianevolution said:

1. The game was released on the PS2 and PS3 and remastered for the PS4, there is no generation gap. SotC didn't have it either, but that at least had the excuse of the PS3 version not being playable on the PS4, whereas this has no such excuse.

2. There are going to be inevitable comparisons between the original game, the remake and the series, and considering the fanbase is still recovering from the effects of TLoU2's writing kerfuffle, I'm not sure if any change from the original will be taken as something positive.

3. Fair enough, but considering the game would sell gangbusters on PC anyway, it feels somewhat pointless. A straight port would've sufficed.

If the remake rumour is true, it's going to sell anyway due to the brand's name, but I don't think there's going to be any benefit from a remake, especially for PS5 users. At least PC users will have the excuse of the game not being available until now, but what's to stop PS5 fans from just dusting off their PS4 copies and playing it again?

Glad to see you can't possibly refute his 4th point.

I don't know how, I haven't played TLoU. :P

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

BraLoD said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Glad to see you can't possibly refute his 4th point.

Spoiler!
I think the claim that Joel is life is well refuted by Abby.

GoOnKid said:

The dark side of capitalism.

I dunno about that. 

I might not agree with the decision, but if people are getting joy out of the remake, well that's them.

And, while it might discourage investing in new games, it also kind of incentivizing making quality products.

Okami is a great example. It was a game that was really well received, but sold poorly when it was launched. But, over time, remakes have turned it into a game that sold at least 2 million copies, probably closer to three.

So, especially with games that are somewhat more risky and less likely to be an immediate success, the potential of selling for over a decade factors into the decision on whether to invest or not. And it creates an incentive to actually make it good, because a crap game probably isn't being remade two gens later.