By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumour: Naughty Dog Remaking TLOU1

Bluepoint does amazing work. I really wish Nintendo wouldn't remaster their games, but hand the out to Bluepoint. Demon and Shadow both look amazing.

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

Bluepoint does amazing work. I really wish Nintendo wouldn't remaster their games, but hand the out to Bluepoint. Demon and Shadow both look amazing.

Yep, I don't think remasters benefit Nintendo much, their choice for cartoonic graphics with very solid color doesn't change that much in quality from even 720p to 4k imho. Now a remake of some older entries that could be made for some iconic and missed ones.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Bristow9091 said:

The Last of Us
The Last of Us Remastered
The Last of Us Remake
Super The Last of Us Turbo Champion Edition

... It's coming!

Of course, The Last of Us II won't be left behind. In a few years, we will see these.

TLOU II Pro

TLOU II Pro Max

TLOU II Pro Max Ultra

TLOU II Pro Max Ultra+

Would prefer a spinoff or something, remake seems too soon and definitely something that should have been outsourced.

twintail said:
BraLoD said:

The remake is pointless to begin with.

But if it is to be done it needs to be good, and I rather have Bluepoint next project being delayed (since it won't be LoD anyway) than ND has even more overwork there and can't focus properly on what they want to do.

ND is the best studio out there, they shouldn't be bothered with doing remakes at all.

Even if it was a junior team that is working on it to get experience, TLoU deserves better than this too.

There's nothing pointless about it. TloU and TloU2 are night and day in graphics, animations, gameplay. This gets them to bring the first game to the level of the 2nd while also getting more PS5 development in. Schrier himself believes that it is going to be bundled with the PS5 version of TloU2.

Development probably won't even be that much longer. Taking into account how quickly Lost Legacy came about, a TloU remake will be a lot easier for the team to work on. This is especially true when ND is still figuring out (or were) what their next game is going to be. 

There are no downsides to this. TloU gets upgraded to the mechanic and visual quality of the 2nd game. It's not going to be super challenging work (especially after what we learnt about crunch on TLoU2). Gives the team more PS5 understanding before their new title, and it impacts very little else ND is or could be working on, because atm we only know that they are working on this and Factions 2 while their next game still gets figured out

And Bluepoint get to work on their next title, which means even more PS5 games sooner.

There is also a very good chance, they could stuff the story up and ruin the charm of the original.

There is alot of risks involved with this decision than you actually think. Graphics arent everything.

Around the Network
twintail said:
Azzanation said:

There is also a very good chance, they could stuff the story up and ruin the charm of the original.

There is alot of risks involved with this decision than you actually think. Graphics arent everything.

Yeah, sure, it's possible. 

But nothing from the Bloomberg article suggests that this is more than a graphics/ gameplay update akin to what Bluepoint would naturally do. That seems natural for the original studio working on. I also imagine this is just easy work for ND  until their next project. I wouldn't expect actual narrative changes to occur at all - nothing is suggesting it will go that far. 

But yeah, that is always a possibility. 

Lets hope its nothing but a graphics overhaul, however i can see them adding more ties to the newer characters with a remake.

There are reasons why many don't remake amazing movies due to the risks of ruining them. 

For example, I would be completely against anyone who wants to remake eg: Back to the Future, Terminator 2, Jurassic Park and the Star Wars Original trilogy just to name some as it was never about how good they look but how well they were made. These movies are timeless and anyone wanting to remake them WONT be welcomed with open arms. 

Lets hope this rumor is nothing more than a glorified remaster.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 18 April 2021

the-pi-guy said:

A few things to keep in mind:

- the remaster was started by a new studio who wanted to work on classic Sony games, they originally picked Uncharted, but they figured a TLOU would be cheaper and they could get into Sony's good graces with a cheap success.  

- that studio was shut down and Naughty Dog took over the work 

- the creative team did not have a project ready for Naughty Dog. So many team members had nothing to work on.

-- considering this, it's unlikely to be anything more than a visual/gameplay update to bring to par with TLOU 2.

- it is often the case that studios get downsized during down times.  

- it also gives the engineers more practical experience with the hardware.

- ND has an issue with running multiple projects at the same time, according to ND's president. I'm assuming this is down to them wanting everyone on board for a project. (Why have two teams of 10 animators working on two different games when they can work on the same game instead?  Or why have two teams of game designers?). 

Considering all these points, the Last of Us remake makes a lot of sense. 

Do we already have confirmation that they closed the team instead of being renamed or transfered to a studio?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

the-pi-guy said:
DonFerrari said:

Do we already have confirmation that they closed the team instead of being renamed or transfered to a studio?

Just this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1380476925811032065

Ok, thanks

twintail said:
DonFerrari said:

You mean the team that was working on the remake? The team you're talking about is the Visual Arts Services Group.

They designed an extension to their studio studio, and that studio seems to be gone.

If Hulst essentially took the game away from them and gave it to ND, then that extension doesn't need to exist. The entire point of VASG is to aid other Sony studios get their games done. So if they are in a supporting role for TLoU remake, it's just the normal stuff they do.

Also, you may recall there was a secret team in San Diego working on something. This is almost guaranteed to have been that team, and the lead exited months ago, if I recall.  

Yes, Visual Arts Services Group.

Ok, so from what we now they weren`t fired or closed, but probably back to what they done before.

Naughty Dog is still fucking shit, Absolute filth

User moderated - Bristow9091

Last edited by Bristow9091 - on 20 April 2021

Naughty Dog fucking shit, nothing is gonna change that, Absolute filth

No filthy mod is ever gonna change my mind

User moderated - Bristow9091

Last edited by Bristow9091 - on 04 May 2021