By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumour: Naughty Dog Remaking TLOU1

BraLoD said:
JWeinCom said:
Spoiler!
I think the claim that Joel is life is well refuted by Abby.
Spoiler!
He did save her tho, Joel actually does means life for Abby, funny enough.

Touche.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
GoOnKid said:

The dark side of capitalism.

I dunno about that. 

I might not agree with the decision, but if people are getting joy out of the remake, well that's them.

And, while it might discourage investing in new games, it also kind of incentivizing making quality products.

Okami is a great example. It was a game that was really well received, but sold poorly when it was launched. But, over time, remakes have turned it into a game that sold at least 2 million copies, probably closer to three.

So, especially with games that are somewhat more risky and less likely to be an immediate success, the potential of selling for over a decade factors into the decision on whether to invest or not. And it creates an incentive to actually make it good, because a crap game probably isn't being remade two gens later.

Yes, that is true. If the demand exists, then sure, they should go for it. It would actually be rather stupid to not meet the demand. In the end it is us, the consumers, who speak with the wallet. I can't blame Sony for it. What I intended to express with my post was the notion that originality takes a back seat then. When it is much more lucrative and simply safer to go for the easy wins instead of the risky new titles, then of course I can't blame the developer. However it makes me a bit sad. I think there is a fair amount of risk aversion on both sides at play here, the developers as well as the customers. As a customer I don't want to waste my money on games that I end up not liking. I think this is one reason why reviews and metacritics play such an immense role nowadays and why developers spend some time to create accolades trailers and try to achieve as many awards as they can, because a good reputation is all that matters. The customer doesn't like taking risks, which might be a reason why Okami bombed at first, even though it is a great game.

However, I feel like Okami is not fully comparable to TLOU. The situations are pretty different, especially since many people think that there isn't much room for improvement in TLOU. Especially since it already got a remaster not too long ago. It smells like cash milking. Okami on the other hand received an upscale as well as an integration of pointer controls on the Wii. It just felt natural to push it onto the Wii platform.

You mentioned the quality of a game that makes it feasible to be remade. I want to add that there are other reasons as well, take The Legend of Kay for instance, a game that never lit the world on fire in the 6th gen, but was remade for 8th gen anyway. But generally speaking, I agree with you.

Also interesting to note and distantly related to the capitalism subject is that sometimes here on VGC we talk about the Mario Kart team at Nintendo and some people think that it would totally make sense for them to develop Mario Kart 9 for the Switch because Mario Kart is hot right now. Because captalism demands that only the most lucrative endeavours should be followed, so only Mario Kart is allowed, but I always use to disagree with this idea because I don't think Nintendo operates that way. I believe that they will make something different, but time will tell.

GoOnKid said:

Also interesting to note and distantly related to the capitalism subject is that sometimes here on VGC we talk about the Mario Kart team at Nintendo and some people think that it would totally make sense for them to develop Mario Kart 9 for the Switch because Mario Kart is hot right now. Because captalism demands that only the most lucrative endeavours should be followed, so only Mario Kart is allowed, but I always use to disagree with this idea because I don't think Nintendo operates that way. I believe that they will make something different, but time will tell.

Mario Kart 9 would be "something different".

Mario Kart on the Switch is just an old WiiU port.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
GoOnKid said:

Well I should have made it clearer then. I meant something entirely different, not related to Mario Kart at all. Like Arms was.

kazuyamishima said:

Bloomberg, the same ones that said that Sony would release about a million less PS5 units compared to PS4.

And that the price of PS5 would around $549.

And that they were having yield issues with the chips.

And the production was about 10 million units fiscal year, then 15, then backed to 11 million units.

Are we talking about the same Bloomberg??

Reminds me of the rumour about Resident Evil Village having serious problems trying to run at 1080p and 30fps on PS5, and then suddenly Capcom added PS4 and Xbone versions.

Still today was hearing someone saying that if it is on bloomberg it can't be wrong at all, because they charge money for you to read their articles.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
JWeinCom said:
Spoiler!
I think the claim that Joel is life is well refuted by Abby.
Spoiler!
He did save her tho, Joel actually does means life for Abby, funny enough.

Most of the first game shows Joel taking life and not loving people =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

GoOnKid said:
Pemalite said:

Well I should have made it clearer then. I meant something entirely different, not related to Mario Kart at all. Like Arms was.

I do like new IPs, but really for tiles that doesn't have anything of history like sports (include racing on this) I have no issue with a studio dedicated to make interactions for it and also no issue with one or two entries per gen and perhaps adding content with time. But sure if the studio have time and desire to make something out of what they were doing, sure let them. Even PD that I love had authorization to make that bike game.

Yeah, I think a lot of people are against the remake now, but you know its going to look absolutely amazing and people will come around. Great graphics always turn heads.

the-pi-guy said:

I'm not against the remake, I just wish Naughty Dog wasn't the one working on it.

Yep, the remaster likely used a very small team compared to what a remake would need.

twintail said:
DonFerrari said:

Yep, the remaster likely used a very small team compared to what a remake would need.

ND are most likely still in pre-production of their next game. This is something the rest of the team can work on until they are needed for the next title.

BraLoD said:

Another one for Bluepoint then make the deal and acquire them, yeah that would be better.

Why would they randomly give it to Bluepoint, who most likely already got a contract for their next title while working on Demons Souls. Too late to ask them to do it.

True. We don`t know how their games are right now (but from what I know they have 2 teams, so likely the TLOU team is on the MVP title while the other have been developing something since Lost Legacy or even UC4 since LL was done by small team), but sure depending on how their pipeline is a remake wouldn`t jeopardize those new games.