By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumour: Naughty Dog Remaking TLOU1

twintail said:
OTBWY said:

From what I read from the article, creative freedom died at Sony's studios. I dont put much weight on Jasons articles tbh, but the signs are there to believe it is actually true.

Nothing suggests that at all.

TloU remake was greenlit because that is what the studio chose to do, not Sony.

Sony not greenlighting a Days Gone sequel in the very year the first game launched to a less than stellar reception is hardly surprising.

Sony Bend, who are not a high tier studio, being put onto 2 ND projects shouldn't be surprising either because

1)they clearly didn't have anything else to pitch and needed to be put to work on something

2)and because their game before Days Gone was an Uncharted game. So they know have experience with the IP. In fact, I recall an insider claiming that they tried to pitch a 2nd Uncharted game after Golden Abyss.

Are you kidding me? They were forced to do something else instead of doing what they wanted to do, which was making a sequel to a game that while had mixed reviews, was still profitable. And the fact that they had fear about getting absorbed into ND should say enough.

Around the Network

I'm not sure where everyone is getting the idea that ND has been relegated to TLOU/Uncharted. Sounds to me like a bunch of people didn't read the article lol.

The TLOU remake started with VASG, but got moved to ND, so its more like a collaboration between the two. Regardless, the project shouldn't be too resource intensive, in terms of using in house talent to complete it. Bend was working on the rumored Uncharted, with supervision from ND, but have recently started working on a new IP. The article doesn't state that ND is picking up where Bend left off. If anything, the Uncharted project is in limbo.

Mnementh said:
Otter said:

Flood of news

-ND Working on 3 Projects (TLOU Remake, Uncharted, multiplayer experience)
-Bend working on new IP (Days Gone 2 not greenlit)
-Overall  bad management across sonys side has caused some upset amongst developers

Interesting. A story from Jason Schreier about how Sony treats it's internal teams and what it focuses on, but what sticks is: TLOU remake, new Uncharted. Funny, how things go.

Lots of discussions to be had from the article & unpacked, I think Naught Dog now having 2 work on 2 games they did originally intend to kind of speaks volumes.

axumblade said:

Doesn't really surprise me. When Sony are complacent with the Playstation brand, the horizon starts looking boring and stagnant. I don't have issues with most of what they are putting out but those niche titles are what makes Playstation appealing and it starts to look a bit more barren and soulless when it's just blockbusters being spread throughout a year.

If Sony is still getting incredible indie/AA support from their second/third party relationships, many of which are exclusive to the PS4/PS5, does it matter if SIE doesn't make those smaller, niche titles themselves? 

Darwinianevolution said:
method114 said:

It makes sense only because the TV show is coming out soon. No idea why a bunch of devs would get mad that their remake of another teams game was taken over by that team.

I still don't get what can a TV show offer that the game can't. TLOU is a very cinematic and linear game, why bother with an adaptation for anything but advertisement?

My guess is they know the witcher TV show boosted sales for the witcher 3. So you remake the game so that when people like the show and go to play the game they get the best possible version. Sure TLOU the original game would work and be enough for almost everyone but having a next gen version would be even better.

Around the Network

Getting to the point where they're remaking games every gen. Which, whatever. I guess if people are buying it.

JWeinCom said:

Getting to the point where they're remaking games every gen. Which, whatever. I guess if people are buying it.

Are the “rumours” confirmed??

PotentHerbs said:

I'm not sure where everyone is getting the idea that ND has been relegated to TLOU/Uncharted. Sounds to me like a bunch of people didn't read the article lol.

The TLOU remake started with VASG, but got moved to ND, so its more like a collaboration between the two. Regardless, the project shouldn't be too resource intensive, in terms of using in house talent to complete it. Bend was working on the rumored Uncharted, with supervision from ND, but have recently started working on a new IP. The article doesn't state that ND is picking up where Bend left off. If anything, the Uncharted project is in limbo.

You're right. I've changed the title to more reflect the concrete details.

-ND is taking lead on TLOU Remake, VASG is taking a supporting role (as they have in the past for other titles)

-Bend aqbandoned Uncharted which ND was supervising on, its an easy assumption to think ND would continue but that's just an assumption.

Not a TLoU remake , I guess remaking it is the only option to make people buy it again since another remaster is not an option due to backwards compatibility.

I think Sony will bundle The Last of Us similar to the Uncharted Collection:

- Factions later this year (sometime in Q4)
- TLOU Collection (TLOU remake + TLOU2 + Factions 2) with Dualsense support, 3D audio, 4K 60FPS, in 2022
- TLOU Collection ported to PC in time for the HBO Show (2023)