By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumour: Naughty Dog Remaking TLOU1

V-r0cK said:

If true, I feel like Sony's reason to remake this is to be in lined with the new TLoU tv show that's coming out. If there was any time to remake it now would be it.

Anybody that's feeling negative about this, would you prefer that Sony just ports the PS3/PS4 version over to the PS5? I'm more happy that they're remaking this rather than to get another remaster. I'm sure Sony will utilize the power of the PS5 for this so lets see what they can do.

Also, forget Days Gone, give me The Order 1886 sequel! lol

They're remaking it because a new studio (well old but first independent game)  chose to remake it . 

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:

If true, I feel like Sony's reason to remake this is to be in lined with the new TLoU tv show that's coming out. If there was any time to remake it now would be it.

Anybody that's feeling negative about this, would you prefer that Sony just ports the PS3/PS4 version over to the PS5? I'm more happy that they're remaking this rather than to get another remaster. I'm sure Sony will utilize the power of the PS5 for this so lets see what they can do.

Yes of course lol. You're essentially asking whether you would rather have a remake of a perfectly modern game or have a brand new  title (including an optional TLOU3 conclusion).

Last edited by Otter - on 09 April 2021

A TLoU remake would be totally pointless. The PS4 Remaster is just fine as it is.

Signature goes here!

V-r0cK said:

Anybody that's feeling negative about this, would you prefer that Sony just ports the PS3/PS4 version over to the PS5? 

Of course yes 

And allocate their resources to work in a sequel with the team instead of recreating a game that is already awesome to play in PS4. They are a great team, why spend them doing remakes ? 

If they don't intend to release a sequel I don't know, maybe a new IP? 

I'm taking everything except a remake for a game that absolutely don't need a remake. Indeed, what exactly they need to remade about The last of Us? 

Seems like many ppl in here haven't actually read the article

Around the Network

The only thing that could change my feelings on this is if it includes part 3 (ala Miles Morales/Lost Legacy)

Weird, I always saw Jason as a bit of a Sony fanboy, strange to see him releasing a Sony hit piece. Interesting read though, some highlights:

-There was a new small studio working on a TLOU 1 remake for PS5, which was planned to be bundled with a TLOU 2 PS5 port, but Sony seemed hesitant to give the studio a proper budget or even a proper name. Then Sony forced the devs to assist on TLOU 2 crunch after it got delayed to 2020, and afterwards brought in Naughty Dog devs to assist them with the remake, who ended up taking over the project instead, so the studio had gone from being independent to being an assist studio on their own project, causing many of the devs to quit in protest.

-Sony Japan Studio was told that Sony no longer wanted to focus on small projects that mainly had appeal in Japan, which is why the majority of the studio was shut down and so many Sony Japan devs left.

-Sony didn't put a big enough marketing budget behind smaller project "Dreams", which is largely what lead to the game flopping (failed to make NPD top 20 on it's release month for instance). Jason says that the game might have been able to become the next Roblox with a proper marketing campaign behind it.

-Sony Bend wanted to do a Days Gone sequel, but even though the game turned a profit, Sony didn't see a sequel as viable since it didn't review very well, so Sony Bend was forced to split in 2, one team assisting with the long rumored new Uncharted trilogy, the other with TLOU 2 multiplayer. This lead to many Sony Bend devs fearing that they would be absorbed into Naughty Dog, causing several Sony Bend devs to quit, and finally Sony allowed them to exit the new Uncharted and start work on a new IP last month.

As for my personal thoughts on all of this:

• Never been a TLOU fan, so no interest in this TLOU remake. I also wasn't interested in Days Gone so I can't say I'm personally affected by the sequel being cancelled.
  • Big Uncharted fan, so I'm glad that the long rumored new Uncharted series still seems to be coming, though it's curious that Jason seems to suggest that Naughty Dog themselves are developing it, before we had heard that Sony was building a new studio in San Diego to take over Uncharted, what happened to that studio? Did they start the project, only for Naughty Dog to get brought in and put over top of them, with both the new San Diego studio and Sony Bend assisting?

V-r0cK said:

It seems very unnecessary to remake a game that came out in 2013 and had a remaster shortly after. Just release a PS5 patch to play the remaster at 4k/60fps and call it a day. 

Not interested in either of those. TLOU3 or a new IP.