By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Jeff Grub: Kojima in talks with MS to publish his next game

Massive W for Microsoft if it comes to fruition.

Around the Network

Could you imagine if this was Silent Hills? Would be amazing though I'd hate to see celebrities in SH or any horror game: I think it would hurt immersion rather than help it.

I don't believe it. Even if it is true it would not be as great of a W as you think. Did you forget Death Stranding? So did everybody else, so I don't blame you.

Hideo Kojima was fired form Konami because of his ego and we saw that very same ego during the development of DS, months and months and month and months with nothing about the game but we did have the announcement of a 30 sec logo load up, game engine adventure, toyline, collabs, and strange for the sake of strange trailers. I remember when they finally showed gameplay footage at TGS I was so unimpressed that I thought Kojima was MGS2 level trolling us. Nope it was the real deal. Kojima definitely lost a lot of prestige and is just another Japanese developer that failed to find the level of critical and commercial success he did when he worked on the IPS that put him on the map. There is no reason to be excited for a Hideo Kojima game.

I think his games have been kinda shit post-MGS 3. The dude believes his own hype and puts out the most high school level philosophy story in black goo walking sim and people still praise him as some sort of genius. Seriously the story was so dumb and obvious, the kinda crap you come up with high off your ass. Kojima is Japan's David Cage at this point. Produces crap but people still worship the ground he walks on for some reason.

I adore Snatcher,Policenauts and ZOE2 but I would not want him to try and make those again these days. Like Tim Burton 1990s vs Tim Burton now. Eww.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

shikamaru317 said:
Xxain said:

I don't believe it. Even if it is true it would not be as great of a W as you think. Did you forget Death Stranding? So did everybody else, so I don't blame you.

Hideo Kojima was fired form Konami because of his ego and we saw that very same ego during the development of DS, months and months and month and months with nothing about the game but we did have the announcement of a 30 sec logo load up, game engine adventure, toyline, collabs, and strange for the sake of strange trailers. I remember when they finally showed gameplay footage at TGS I was so unimpressed that I thought Kojima was MGS2 level trolling us. Nope it was the real deal. Kojima definitely lost a lot of prestige and is just another Japanese developer that failed to find the level of critical and commercial success he did when he worked on the IPS that put him on the map. There is no reason to be excited for a Hideo Kojima game.

I mean, Death Stranding was pretty far from being my cup of tea, but looking at it objectively it was hardly a flop. Got an 82 on metacritic on PS4 and 86 on it's late PC release, was nominated for many awards and won 9 of them, had the biggest launch for a new IP in Japan the entire generation (beating out Sega's Judgment launch by about 40k copies), hit 3m+ players on PS4 and made back it's budget and started turning a profit within 6 months of release, then sold another 477k on the first month of it's PC launch and has sold over 1m on PC now according to Steam Spy, with the publisher of the PC version reporting today that it brought in 23m euros in revenue for them. 

Its not a flop but it did not garner any of the praise Hideo Kojima is used too from the industry or gamers. How many people are putting DS in the game of the year/best PS4 games list? It was also clear that SONY was happy with games initial performance; they pretend the game does exist. There was also that rumor that SONY's other studios were also unhappy with the amount of money spent on the game vs its performance. 

Death Stranding is not even in the PS+ collection for cryin out loud! but Days Gone is?

Around the Network
Leynos said:

I think his games have been kinda shit post-MGS 3. The dude believes his own hype and puts out the most high school level philosophy story in black goo walking sim and people still praise him as some sort of genius. Seriously the story was so dumb and obvious, the kinda crap you come up with high off your ass. Kojima is Japan's David Cage at this point. Produces crap but people still worship the ground he walks on for some reason.

I adore Snatcher,Policenauts and ZOE2 but I would not want him to try and make those again these days. Like Tim Burton 1990s vs Tim Burton now. Eww.

Yeah, Policenauts was cool. It's the only Kojima game that I played from start to finish.

I also liked Metal Gear Solid 2, but not enough to beat it. Metal Gear Solid V had a lot of problems.

Xxain said:

Death Stranding does look like a walking simulator to me but according to reviews it’s a pretty good game. So Kojima  has made mostly masterpieces and one game that is still considered good but not a masterpiece that’s a pretty good track record. MA getting a legendary developer to debut a game on their subscription service is a major W for them. I’m not even a big Kojima fan but if this is true I’ll definitely check it out on gamepass.

Kojima at this point appeals to westerners more than Japan. Even Sony is not appealing to Japan anymore.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Kojima at this point appeals to westerners more than Japan. Even Sony is not appealing to Japan anymore.

I mean, Japan isn't the centre stage country for gaming like it was decades ago, it's now more Europe and the West that are the bigger audiences and players in this industry now, so I can see why Sony's moved. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Ka-pi96 said:

Did Death Stranding flop then? Surely if it had done well then Sony would've wanted to continue working with him.

Sony do not own kojima production so MS could have just handed over a bigger check. These are talks so nothing is confirmed. Gamepass could also be of appeal in order to reach a wider audience.

Regarding Death Stranding, it wasn't a flop but I could see how Sony might  not want to put similarly niche titles at the forefront of their marketing. For how expensive it looks, its extremely polarising and unlike all the other games Sony has been pushing.