By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Jeff Grub: Kojima in talks with MS to publish his next game

Chazore said:
Leynos said:

Kojima at this point appeals to westerners more than Japan. Even Sony is not appealing to Japan anymore.

I mean, Japan isn't the centre stage country for gaming like it was decades ago, it's now more Europe and the West that are the bigger audiences and players in this industry now, so I can see why Sony's moved. 

The US is the largest market but that wasn't the point. Some think this will move the needle in Japan for Xbox consoles. It won't. It would barely register at all.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

I imagine this could be possible, Microsoft definitively has enough cash to throw around in this kinds of projects if they wanted to. Though Kojima would need to keep an eye on being more down to earth and less of an abstract auteur. While it sold well enough, Kojima's studio won't be able to survive another Death Stranding.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Leynos said:

The US is the largest market but that wasn't the point. Some think this will move the needle in Japan for Xbox consoles. It won't. It would barely register at all.

I don't think anything will at this point, and I don't think anyone's going to bother going forward tbh. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

This may very well be true, why not. Whatever, as long as they are working on something new for Sony as well. Something that is not like DS. It was OK, I enjoyed it well enough but it wasn't great. The world barely had any meat on its bones and outside of the main story(and even within it a little), it really felt like a mailman simulator. Beautiful, but empty.

Would be amazing if it’s actually a horror game. Anything else, meh.

Around the Network

I'm getting Blue Dragon vibes all over again.

That game was MS exclusive, it had Hironobu Sakaguchi and even had Akira Toriyama as the artist, yet didn't do as big as what MS had hoped.

But lets hope im wrong here.

The guy is known for a number of games considered "masterpieces" and one game that was "good, just not THAT good" and ya'll acting like he is washed up, done and no longer a draw? This forum is really funny at times.

Ugh, almost believed it, till i saw Jeff Grubb.

Jpcc86 said:

The guy is known for a number of games considered "masterpieces" and one game that was "good, just not THAT good" and ya'll acting like he is washed up, done and no longer a draw? This forum is really funny at times.

I liked BD a lot but it still got 2 more games on DS and an anime.

What's really depressing is the Far East of Eden series died on 360. In Japan, that series was nearly as popular as Dragon Quest for a while. They kept pumping out games for years then decided let's put an exclusive main game in the series on 360.  I wish Cry-On wasn't canceled either.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Ka-pi96 said:
Otter said:

Sony do not own kojima production so MS could have just handed over a bigger check. These are talks so nothing is confirmed. Gamepass could also be of appeal in order to reach a wider audience.

Regarding Death Stranding, it wasn't a flop but I could see how Sony might  not want to put similarly niche titles at the forefront of their marketing. For how expensive it looks, its extremely polarising and unlike all the other games Sony has been pushing.

In my experience you don't look for another deal elsewhere unless the deal you had is bad or doesn't seem like it's going to continue. I haven't heard anything about Kojima having been unhappy working with Sony, so that would suggest Sony haven't offered a deal for another game.

What makes you think he wasnt offered a better deal by a competitor?