By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Mar 14-20 - Switch Sells Nearly 500,000 Units

If NS did so much the week BEFORE MH launch, I wonder how much it will sell on MH launch week. Crazy.
2nd best PS5, still hovering around 200k.
XBOne dominates Japan with its foofball team.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
yo33331 said:

You obviously haven't read my last comment, The benefits that PS2 had were because Sony make those .. The benefits are the low price (because of which PS2 had big difference in price with the PS3) and the continuous marketing they did for the system, not some dvd players or psp ports you are talking about, they may help a little bit but only by a very small margin. The big factor was the price and the marketing. If Nintendo do the same good support for the system for a couple of years more and cut the price when it's needed switch might reach PS2. if not then no. If sony did the same thing with PS3 it would have sold at least 20-30M more units, and if they did it with the PS4, it could reach PS2 numbers lifetime, or at least 140-150M for sure.

I disagree with this. The PS2 didn't drop to $100 until 2008 or 2009 (when it was already over 130M sold). The Gamecube, on the other hand, dropped to $100 in 2003, when it was still being supported and marketed heavily. There is obviously something more than just marketing and affordability. 

I honestly think PS4 would have hit 125M max with a good price cut (whereas now it might only hit 117M). The market just isn't the same as it once was. There hasn't been a console that has sold over 20M after their successor releases since the PS2. People are used to moving onto the biggest and best thing (thank the smartphone market for that). The reason why people think the Switch can sell close to the PS2 has to do with how fast it is selling currently, not how long it will sell after the Switch 2 comes along. 

yo33331 said:

I am not stating anything about why switch is selling or what willl be the reason. The reason can be many different things for diferent consoles. For switch is not. For other is. However if switch receive good pricecuts and also good support, it can make even greater numbers, than it would do without it.

PS2 before dropping to 100$ was 129$ in 2005 or 2006 when PS3 launching, so you can't compare PS3 or PS4 or any other modern console, because first PS2 was way cheaper than 299$ after 5 years, and PS2 was way way cheaper than it's successor.

Gamecube is not a factor because Gamecube didn't sold well whatever price it was on.

Take 3DS for example, It launched at a high price, it didn't sell so well and they dropped the price and 3DS is considered success now, 76M is very respectable number. PS3 was selling mediocre until 2009, and then with the 299$ price for the slim they skyrocket ahead, with sales much stronger than before. Those are just examples. But the price is very important. This is what is selling your console. Well not entirely but it's very important factor.

PS2 sold well at it's launch price and PS2 sold well with the low price as well.

PS2 before going to 129$ was something like 169$. So you can not compare it and say that the low price is not factor or is not relevant.

It is. The current consoles doesn't sell well after their successor because, either their support is done by the time next console launches (Wii, DS, PSP) or they haven't received price cut when needed and again their support is done when their successor is launched and also they have small difference in price with their successor. (PS3, PS4)

PS2 long legs were exactly because of the price and the good marketing. You can't compare 129$ in 2005/2006 or 99$ in 2008/2009 console with a PS3 or PS4 that were and are 299$ since their slim variant launched and never got dropped in price, and on top of this their successor is just 100$ more, at which price pretty much everyone who would want a console would get the new one.

The PS4 with the right pricecut depends if they are 1 or 2 could reach PS2 numbers (if they were 2 pricecuts at the right time, or at least come very close to PS2) and would reach at least 130-140M if it were only 1 pricecut. But the pricecut in this case makes 2 things. Not only is lowering the console and making it more affordable, but also making the difference between it and the PS5 or even XSX if you want, bigger. At which point many people would go for the cheaper console (I am talking more casuals, family, or just beginner gamers here) rather than the expensive one, because 199$ is way more affordable than 399 or 499$ is.

*all numbers I'm quoting are fiscal year numbers

If the Gamecube isn't an acceptable example, then let's use the Wii. The Wii was relatively cheap for quite a while. The Wii received a price cut in may of 2011 to $150. Yet, based on the numbers we see, 150 didn't really boost numbers to the levels of the PS2 despite it being incredibly successful before then. Yet, despite that price cut, it only went on to sell a bit over 10M more total. There was another price cut to $130 in 2012. At that point it only went on to sell 5M more. 

You can suggest marketing, but the Wii was still heavily marketed from 2011 to 2012, and first party games were still being made for it, albeit at a slower rate than the previous years. Yet 2008 PS2 did just as well as 2011 Wii, despite the PS2's successor being on the market for 2 years and competing between Wii and 360. PS2 2009 and 2010 (not even combined) did better than Wii 2012, despite Wii's successor coming out over halfway through. The PS2 was an anomaly. It isn't expected this will ever happen again because it has never happened since. 

Also, I never said that low prices weren't a factor, what I said was there is something more than just marketing and low prices. Also, you are forgetting a pretty key point, Sony continued marketing the PS2 BECAUSE it was still selling so well. They go hand-in-hand. 

I agree that they could improve PS4's sales with a price cut. Heck, I even think a good price cut to $199 could boost it up to 125M units, but I don't think a price cut could cause the PS4 to ship 25-35M extra consoles. The market just moves on too quickly now. 

A few other points. First, you suggest it wasn't the PSP ports that helped it, yet you criticize the Wii and DS for a lack of software. I absolutely think that the PSP ports on PS2 helped it significantly. The PSP and PS2 were relatively similar hardware wise. Ports were incredibly easy and didn't have to be adjusted much as the PS2 was the more capable machine. It helped make PS2 feel like it was still being heavily supported when, really, Sony was supporting their newer product the PSP and PS2 just reaped the benefits.

Second, the 3DS is kind of case and point that marketing and low prices aren't the only things that contribute to longevity. Cutting the price helped early on, absolutely. As did increased amounts of software (it's software was barren at launch). However, since the launch of the Switch the 3DS has only sold 10 more million. This is despite a $79 variant, a $149 variant, and a $199 variant and continued support (Samus Returns, Pokemon US/UM, Fire Emblem Echoes, Mario & Luigi, Yoshi and Poochie, Hey Pikmin, Mario Sports Superstars, Warioware Gold, Captain Toad, Detective Pikachu, Luigis Mansion, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and a bunch of other releases). The reason is simply because people moved on from the 3DS and, in many cases, picked up a Switch. 

Sogreblute said:
Slownenberg said:

Yeah. Multiple systems per household, plus people upgrading to the premium Switch. There also hasn't been a single price cut yet, so there are likely a lot of people who will pick it up when it drops to around $200 (lots of people don't want a handheld only).

That still blows my mind. The Switch still hasn't received it's first price cut and it's been 4 years. Consoles usually go on sale 1-2 years after launch, but not the Switch. Their profit margins must be huge on each Switch sold. But it's like we cannot blame them for not dropping the price if it's selling nearly 30 million a year now, if not more. This also applies to their Joy-Cons and Pro Controllers. Still $80 and $70 respectively. They even charge $5 more for special Pro Controllers and still sell out (Monster Hunter Rise Controller is the most recent example). I really want to know how much money Nintendo was making on their systems and controllers back then and compare it to now.

The Switch is also already at a very mass market price so they may never drop it. In the past we saw consoles go from $299 to $99, or $499 to $199. PS4 is already ending its life as the most expensive console we've seen $299 and I think Switch will match it. I think Switch will only receive a price cut when they're trying to get rid of stock when its eventually replaced. Even then it won't be official but from the retailers.

I think next week will be pretty huge sales wise. Switch is suddenly sold out in large parts of europe. Austria (where I live) had no issues with Switch Console supply for months and now suddenly you cannot get a regular Switch at any retailer. Even some Switch Light models are hard to come by.

Around the Network

Yeah Monster Hunter week could be huge if they manage to actually produce and ship enough hardware to take full advantage of it; I think the numbers we get will show supply more than demand, but they could still be massive, the franchise has never been bigger and Rise offers its burgeoning fanbase a compelling reason to get a Switch.

curl-6 said:

Yeah Monster Hunter week could be huge if they manage to actually produce and ship enough hardware to take full advantage of it; I think the numbers we get will show supply more than demand, but they could still be massive, the franchise has never been bigger and Rise offers its burgeoning fanbase a compelling reason to get a Switch.

@bold Agreed. World made a lot more people in the west fans of the series and I think many of those players, who otherwise were content with their platforms, are now considering or have purchased a Switch to be able to play this next game.

IcaroRibeiro said:

Console market when PS2 came out was smaller. Economic growth lead consoles being more accessible and affordable. Remember when PS2 was released only one home system ever has surpassed 100 million, PS1, and only one handheld, Game Boy, that needed over 10 years in the market plus a huge upgrade (Game Boy Color) to surpass 100 million too. I'm not sure if Switch surpassing PS2 sales is exactly more or less impressive than PS2 but I'm leaning towards less impressive

Switch pulling something more like 170-180 million copies though... that's another thing

Not sure why you felt the need to mention how long it took the Gameboy to reach 100 million, when it took the original PlayStation over 10 years as well.  Both PS1 and PS2 had their successors on the market before either crossed the 100 million milestone.  It was the impressive legs of each that put them over the hurdle (the PS2 in a considerably shorter span of time).

Mandalore76 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Console market when PS2 came out was smaller. Economic growth lead consoles being more accessible and affordable. Remember when PS2 was released only one home system ever has surpassed 100 million, PS1, and only one handheld, Game Boy, that needed over 10 years in the market plus a huge upgrade (Game Boy Color) to surpass 100 million too. I'm not sure if Switch surpassing PS2 sales is exactly more or less impressive than PS2 but I'm leaning towards less impressive

Switch pulling something more like 170-180 million copies though... that's another thing

Not sure why you felt the need to mention how long it took the Gameboy to reach 100 million, when it took the original PlayStation over 10 years as well.  Both PS1 and PS2 had their successors on the market before either crossed the 100 million milestone.  It was the impressive legs of each that put them over the hurdle (the PS2 in a considerably shorter span of time).

PS2 will have reached 100 million in early 2006, 9-12 months before PS3 released, (Sony announced 100m shipped in November 2005)

And to correct Icaro: When the PS2 first launched no system had sold 100 million as neither PS1 nor GB had reached that yet. GB was at 94.8 million shipped, PS1 was at 54.47 million shipped, not even at NES total yet (though it was obvious PS1 would surpass NES, and obvious GB would go over 100m at the time)

You both have valid points but you can't directly compare PS2 to Switch and determine which is more impressive, they both come with different advantages & disadvantages due to when they released & the systems themselves.

Switch has the advantage of being in a larger more varied gaming market.
Also being a hybrid it is more likely to have multiple concurrent purchases in the same household
And as it's usable as a handheld it doesn't really have any competition as there are no other dedicated handheld gaming devices (3DS may have been mild competiton early on, but last 2 years Switch is basically on it's own in that field)

PS2 has the advantage of being bought by some as a multimedia system (when it launched it was cheaper than most standalone DVD players)
More so just by it being so long lived (a significant portion of original phat PS2 owners probably bought a 2nd PS2 after the original broke... PS2 failure rate is certainly higher than any Nintendo console afaik).
It also had the advantage of being followed by the PS3, which had a poor launch performance & crazy high price.
Wii's graphically poor power but big sales success also meant PS2 saw some ported game releases to help extend it's life.
Early in PS2 life there was also not much competition, Sega bowed out, MS was new & untested & Nintendo had lost support due to N64 and was trying to emulate Sony too much with the GC... PS2s biggest competition was probably the PS1

HigHurtenflurst said:
Mandalore76 said:

PS2 will have reached 100 million in early 2006, 9-12 months before PS3 released, (Sony announced 100m shipped in November 2005)

And to correct Icaro: When the PS2 first launched no system had sold 100 million as neither PS1 nor GB had reached that yet. GB was at 94.8 million shipped, PS1 was at 54.47 million shipped, not even at NES total yet (though it was obvious PS1 would surpass NES, and obvious GB would go over 100m at the time)

You both have valid points but you can't directly compare PS2 to Switch and determine which is more impressive, they both come with different advantages & disadvantages due to when they released & the systems themselves.

Switch has the advantage of being in a larger more varied gaming market.
Also being a hybrid it is more likely to have multiple concurrent purchases in the same household
And as it's usable as a handheld it doesn't really have any competition as there are no other dedicated handheld gaming devices (3DS may have been mild competiton early on, but last 2 years Switch is basically on it's own in that field)

PS2 has the advantage of being bought by some as a multimedia system (when it launched it was cheaper than most standalone DVD players)
More so just by it being so long lived (a significant portion of original phat PS2 owners probably bought a 2nd PS2 after the original broke... PS2 failure rate is certainly higher than any Nintendo console afaik).
It also had the advantage of being followed by the PS3, which had a poor launch performance & crazy high price.
Wii's graphically poor power but big sales success also meant PS2 saw some ported game releases to help extend it's life.
Early in PS2 life there was also not much competition, Sega bowed out, MS was new & untested & Nintendo had lost support due to N64 and was trying to emulate Sony too much with the GC... PS2s biggest competition was probably the PS1

My bad, I was looking at a chart of Playstation shipments and I mistook the appearance of the PSP in the chart as the start of PS3 shipments.  You are correct that the PS2 surpassed 100m units sold prior to the PS3's release.