By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 12, 2021 - (Mar 15 - Mar 21)

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Otter said:

Worth noting these titles are mostly late PS4 ports. Jack Jeanne is the only switch exclusive and of the rest, Magmaalord is the only new entry that hasn't already launched on PS4 in 2020 or prior. 

Does that really matter though? 

A few years ago there used to be a ton of Japanese games that were either PS4 exclusive or PSVita/PS4 only.  At this point, the real question is if a third party game will be Switch exclusive or multiplat (and even then the Playstation version is going to be the worse seller).  When the top 30 looks like this, there isn't much incentive for a Japanese developer to make a Playstation exclusive game.  The only Playstation exclusives going forward are going to be a handful of big international titles like Final Fantasy and Resident Evil.  Every other Japanese third party game will be coming to Switch.

Don't know about that. Falcom have a Playstation exclusive coming out soon and Sega is still pretty adamant about not releasing Yakuza on Switch.

Around the Network
deerox said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Does that really matter though? 

A few years ago there used to be a ton of Japanese games that were either PS4 exclusive or PSVita/PS4 only.  At this point, the real question is if a third party game will be Switch exclusive or multiplat (and even then the Playstation version is going to be the worse seller).  When the top 30 looks like this, there isn't much incentive for a Japanese developer to make a Playstation exclusive game.  The only Playstation exclusives going forward are going to be a handful of big international titles like Final Fantasy and Resident Evil.  Every other Japanese third party game will be coming to Switch.

Don't know about that. Falcom have a Playstation exclusive coming out soon and Sega is still pretty adamant about not releasing Yakuza on Switch.

We may not be at the point of every game being a simultaneous release yet.  Give it some time though to see if even these games end up on Switch.  Financial realities have a strong ability to make a company change their behavior.  Whenever a title releases on PS4/5 and sells a disappointing amount, that is a very strong incentive to give it a Switch port.

added some numbers I have

updated totals are top 50 only

Thanks a bunch! Now I can update a bunch of things :)

Famitsu Switch 3rd Parties 2020 Top 20:

1. Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) - 819.094
  2. Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town (Marvelous) – 256.421 
  3. Minecraft (Microsoft) - 158.722
  4. Bravely Default II (Square Enix) – 127.628 
  5. Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (Marvelous) - 59.268
  6. Little Nightmares II (Bandai Namco) - 51.835 
  7. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (Koei Tecmo) - 50.020
  8. Fitness Boxing 2 (Imagineer) - 49.200
  9. Dragon Quest XI S (Square Enix) - 48.928
  10. Human Fall Flat (Teyon Japan) - 42.692
  11. Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 (Sega) - 36.105
  12. Family Trainer (Bandai Namco) -31.155
  13. Disgaea 6 (Nippon Ichi) -25.744
  14. Densha de Go!! (Square Enix) - 24.393 NEW
  15. Fishing Spirits (Bandai Namco) - 22.442
  16. A-Train: All Aboard! Tourism (Artdink) - 20.043
  17. Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (Bandai Namco) - 17.655
  18. Jack Jeanne (Broccoli) - 15.827 NEW
  19. eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 (Konami) - 15.228
  20. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega) - 13.942

TOTAL: 1.886.342

With the launch of Monster Hunter Rise we would likely surpass 3.5 million sales for third parties this year; for reference last year the Top 20 was a little over 3 million combined. As mentioned support is accelerating and with this being the peak year for hardware with the Pro Launch and much stronger fall line-up - we are bound to see at least a couple of franchises really break out.

Just for comparison last year in Q1, these were the Top Selling Third Party game, night and day. 

Q1 2020 3rd Party

1. Minecraft (Microsoft) - 185.900
  2. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega) - 97.772
  3. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva MegaMix (Sega) - 78.558 NEW
  4. Fishing Spirits (Bandai Namco) - 76.921
  5. Persona 5 Scramble (Atlus) - 65.653 NEW
  6. One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 (Bandai Namco) - 61.571 NEW
  7. Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (Bandai Namco) - 39.804
  8. Dragon Quest XI S (Square Enix) - 39.181
  9. My Hero: One's Justice 2 (Bandai Namco Games) - 24.829 NEW
  10. Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town (Marvelous) - 16.979

TOTAL: 687.168

Without Momotaro launching in the fall of 2020, we would have actually seen a decline for third parties on the Switch last year. Yet to come we have Rune Factory 5, Samurai Warriors 5, Baseball Spirits, SMT V, Monster Hunter Stories 2, Shin Kun all set to launch from May to end of summer; without any idea about what the second half of the year holds for third parties.

Could there be a Winning Eleven for the Switch to further build on Konami's success so far? A DQ spin-off we don't know about? Ace Attorney that was leaked? 

This year could be truly something for Third Parties that have finally embraced the Switch after wasting a lot of time to get onboard. 

Are there any notable new Playstation releases next (this) week, alongside Monster Hunter Rise? Could the next update be a 30/30 for Switch?

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Are there any notable new Playstation releases next (this) week, alongside Monster Hunter Rise? Could the next update be a 30/30 for Switch?

Balan Wonderworld /s 

Around the Network
animegaming said:
curl-6 said:

Balan Wonderworld /s 

Eek, if that charts I'll lose some faith in humanity haha

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Switch should be tied with 2020 numbers at the end of March '21. During April '21 Switch should gain lead again because of heavy supply issues we had last year.

curl-6 said:

The PS4 versions of "Quintessential Quintuplets ∫: Summer Memories" and "SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays [Platinum Edition]" will probably chart.

curl-6 said:
animegaming said:

Balan Wonderworld /s 

Eek, if that charts I'll lose some faith in humanity haha

I was curious how It Takes 2 performs but the physical is only for PS4 unfortunately/comes with a free PS5 upgrade.

On the Pro Baseball Spirits 2021 website

made me do a double take