By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Avatar Becomes the Top Grossing Film of all Time Once Again

I think Avatar is better than Endgame. Neither "deserves" the top spot if having the top spot means being so great or something. Titanic is a better, more meaningful movie than both.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:

Avatar doesn't deserve to have that spot. It's just FernGully with bestiality and space marines.

Robin Williams was in Avatar? .... I may watch it again after all.

Funny comment though. Well played sir.

"re-release numbers alone surpassed Disney's Mulan Chinese box office total."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOzM4ClFG1o

Shadow1980 said:

It's hard to really do good comparisons for global box office figures, because you'd have to take into account ticket price inflation from many countries. Of course, regardless of international comparisons of ticket price inflation, said inflation in general favors Avatar as it was released a decade before Endgame. However, that does come with the caveat that Avatar had a disproportionately large portion of its gross come from 3D and IMAX/large-format screens, probably the largest such share ever for a big blockbuster.

So, we'll never know for sure which movie actually sold more tickets. That's why I wish the film industry would measure box office performance in terms of admissions, not revenues.

Avengers had a HUGE advantage in the Chinese market being way, way, way bigger circa 2019 than 2008, if anything this just shows Avatar can still play in China even while being 10 years old. 

If Avatar had the same level of Chinese market in 2008 when it released it would fucking destroy Avengers. It would not even be close. Avengers was only a paper champion and Avatar took that paper title and ripped it to shreds anyway. 

Shadow1980 said:

It's hard to really do good comparisons for global box office figures, because you'd have to take into account ticket price inflation from many countries. Of course, regardless of international comparisons of ticket price inflation, said inflation in general favors Avatar as it was released a decade before Endgame. However, that does come with the caveat that Avatar had a disproportionately large portion of its gross come from 3D and IMAX/large-format screens, probably the largest such share ever for a big blockbuster.

So, we'll never know for sure which movie actually sold more tickets. That's why I wish the film industry would measure box office performance in terms of admissions, not revenues.

There are so many factors to consider when considering the 'biggest movie ever', so I stopped trying to justify one over the other. All we can really do is count the hard numbers, anything else is up for wildly disparate interpretation. 

Jaws was HUGE in its day and rightfully so...but that year there were only a fraction of the number of theaters and movies coming out. The population was lower, but more people were forced to see movies in theaters since home video wasn't as big or as common of a thing. Movies stayed in theaters longer, fewer movies were released yearly, inflation matters, access to alternative methods of seeing movies matters. 

Today, ticket prices are higher...but so many movies are released on demand at home or on streaming. 

There are so, SO many factors involved that it doesn't matter what side of the argument you're on, you're both right and wrong. 

Same with the argument of Avatar vs Avengers. One was an original movie with no prior source material, but it was also a 3D Event film with 7 academy awards nominations. One could argue those could be positive or negative traits. Endgame was handicapped son some ways, but so was Avatar in other ways. The entire argument almost always comes down to twisting the facts or picking and choosing what factors you value more that give your team the win. I stopped trying to engage in these particular debates ages ago. There is no right answer, so I don't pick a side. 

I love both movies and have them both in my top 10 of all time, so I win either way. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:

Don't really care much about what movie holds the record for highest grossing, but I love the idea of older movies being rereleased. There are a lot of movies I'd like to see in theatres again.

Theatres already have night they show old movies. Its nice to actually see good movies at a theatre again.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
JWeinCom said:

Don't really care much about what movie holds the record for highest grossing, but I love the idea of older movies being rereleased. There are a lot of movies I'd like to see in theatres again.

Theatres already have night they show old movies. Its nice to actually see good movies at a theatre again.

Not around me that I know of. Maybe it's a thing in smaller areas where there's only so many people in town who are going to come and see the latest blockbusters, but not around me, except for some theatres that show really niche stuff.

JWeinCom said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Not around me that I know of. Maybe it's a thing in smaller areas where there's only so many people in town who are going to come and see the latest blockbusters, but not around me, except for some theatres that show really niche stuff.

AMC and Harkins have nights where they show old movies. Usually like a Tuesday, a night expected to be slow.

I would suggest just looking it up.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
JWeinCom said:

AMC and Harkins have nights where they show old movies. Usually like a Tuesday, a night expected to be slow.

I would suggest just looking it up.

Well, Harkins doesn't exist within 1000 miles, and the AMC theatres around here generally do not do that, except for one, and that's more during slow release periods. Fathom events occasionally runs older movies for one or two nights. It's not anything done with real regularity round these parts.

Never understood how Avatar was such a big deal in the first place. I guess the effects tech was groundbreaking at the time, but the movie itself was a pretty average scifi flick with forgettable characters.